PDA

View Full Version : final run in to resit gen-nav

Vulcan607
30th Apr 2008, 22:03
With a week to go now, until the round 2 of gen-nav could any guys who had to resit this sh*t subject perhaps give some words of wisdom as to what I should be doing - or share experiences of your own?

Been through the q.bank 3 times now, paid to see lecturers to brush up my problem areas, did the feedback sheets from brush up courses.

what else is there?

MIKECR
30th Apr 2008, 22:07
Nearly 2 years since i did g-nav but the secret was to be profficient with the crap5. Know how to work it inside out, quickly! You could make up lots of precious time if you could rattle through the crp work. When i did the test, the middle section of the papar, roughly 15 - 20 questions was all crp based.

Vulcan607
30th Apr 2008, 22:24
yeah MIKECR - your right.

Its not a subject like law where you can memorise the question bank - its a subject with a lot of practicle applications and if you can learn the whizz-wheel inside out that takes about 250 questions out of the question bank right away.
I suppose I'm about 80-90% confident with the crap-5, my problem area I guess is the chart sort of questions working out angles, convergency etc

acuba 290
30th Apr 2008, 22:32
same here. everything regarding convergency, polar stereographic/grid nav etc. and all those angles...questions like this one "An aircraft obtains a relative bearing of 315° from an NDB at 0830. At 0840 the relative bearing from the same position is 270°. Assuming no drift and a GS of 240 kt, what is the approximate range from the NDB at 0840?" :ugh::ugh::ugh: there is also explanation there, but I don't even understand what are they trying to tell me :confused:

MIKECR
30th Apr 2008, 22:34
Again, i can only comment on what i did, which was 2 years ago. The chart work, at that time, was all based around the Cork/Dublin geography and VOR's etc. If its still based on that sort of stuff, then get to know the layout of the chart before you go into the exam. Get your local geography up to scratch. No point fishing around with grid references if you can automatically go straight to the map and know where places are. Again, its saves you precious time.

Also, watch out for the typical formulae questions. The caa love to manipulate the figures(just enough so you wont notice!) and you'll fall hook line and sinker for the wrong answer. You'll think you've seen the question a hundred times before on Bristol QB etc but the caa will have very carefully aletered a random figure somewhere in the question. Be warned! The amount of people who walk out of the exam and say "seen that one before on Bristol QB"!!! Theyve all fallen in to the deliberate trap im afraid.:rolleyes::D

doctordoom
30th Apr 2008, 23:08
Did it not to long ago, as the guy's said nail that CRP-5, I also found that there was alot of simple question's that can catch you out cause you think they are so simple you dont bother to study for them. Also alot o CDMVT type question's :ok: