PDA

View Full Version : Danger time

Lister Noble
30th Apr 2008, 16:55
I have read and heard from various sources that around 200 hrs is a dangerous time for a PPL,I'm not sure if this is total time or qualified time.
Is this proven,and is it due to over confidence combined with lack of experience?

Lister

Lasiorhinus
30th Apr 2008, 17:46
Very dangerous time:ok:

200 hours TT is when you go for your commercial license, and start to stress about finding a job:}

1000 hours is statistically a danger period for having an accident, too, and this one is apparently based on the sophomore mindset. This is when you start to believe that you know all there is to know about flying, before you've flown enough to realise how little you do know.

cf Greek, sophos moros

Legalapproach
30th Apr 2008, 19:33
Errr Lister

Purely out of interest how many hours do you have and would you consider cancelling your cub booking for Friday as I am hoping to fly it next week?:E

S-Works
30th Apr 2008, 19:45
There are a number of interesting books out there about experience versus accidents. Fate is the hunter and the killing zone are two great ones that comes to mind. it is true that when you are very low hours you are afraid and have a healthy respect. As your experience grows you get a bit more blaze and as it grows more and assuming you survive the blaze stage you realise you are always learning. I am coming up on 3000hrs and still look at every flight in wonder and with a very healthy dose of respect thrown in.

Don't obsess on it, just go out and enjoy your self and be careful!
:)

Rightbase
30th Apr 2008, 19:56
After studying God for many years I am convinced she has a really wicked sense of humour.

Bad things happen when you least expect them, and when you are least prepared for them. So that is the worst time.

Expect, train for and plan for the worst, then you are as near to win-win territory as you can get.

PlasticPilot
30th Apr 2008, 21:04
Statistics are good if you're in a position where you have to manage a population or a fleet. But for your personal decisions, it's not worth a thing, because you can die only once. If you have a very "exotic" and unlikely accident, you'll become 0.000001% of the statistic... but you'll be 100% dead anyway.

This is sadly true, but this is also why extremely experienced pilots sometimes die in perfectly fit planes. I'm not saying you don't have to do your best to stay alive, but sometimes it's simply time...

Sorry not being a happy poster today.

PP

Lister Noble
1st May 2008, 07:33
Legal approach.
I'm not sure, but around 130-140 hrs total.
Weather looks good for tomorrow and Saturday,so I'll just be very careful with the Cub.
Lister;)

stiknruda
1st May 2008, 08:13
Lister,

You could pop in here and collect your sweat-shirt, it has only been 20 months since you left it.

I could deliver it but you did say that you were going to fly in and get it!

Our mutual veterinarian friend is due to fly her QXC today!

Stik

Lister Noble
1st May 2008, 10:35
Stik,
I might pop in tomorrow or Saturday wx permiting,will you be around?
Good news about the cross country,I hope it all goes well and will call the vet later.
Lister;)

littco
1st May 2008, 19:38
I would suggest you buy and read "the killing zone" It basically highlights the areas and situations you may/could get into that would/could be fatal.

gpn01
1st May 2008, 22:34
In each copy of Sailplane & Gliding Magazine there's a section on gliding accidents. Gives the total hours experience of the P1 and it makes really sobering reading. It confirms that it doesn't matter if you've only just gone solo or you have 10,000+ hrs under your belt, you're still equally qualified to have an accident. The trick is to recognise that 'it' could happen to you, so be diligent, be methodolical with your checks and NEVER let an airplane take you beyond your abilities. Remember also to not play the statistics game - "million to one" chances happen all the time and it hurts if you're the 'one'!