PDA

View Full Version : validating a foreign license

reinbobber
30th Apr 2008, 13:03
several years ago I got a SA commercial validation on my FAA license. I revalidated it one time

I have been told that beginning in 2008 one could no longer validate the license without taking the full series of tests. Can any one confirm what the final word is from the CAA?

HansFlyer
30th Apr 2008, 13:18
Hi

I suggest you write a letter to the CAA [email protected] but I would bet that the rules are still the same - It has been some time since I did this but as far as I can remember you could always validate a foreign CPL once by writing the CPL Airlaw EXAM at the CAA - but were not to fly for reward in SA.

It was only done to allow you to fly SA registered aircraft anywhere but in SA.

Greetings
HANSFLYER

cavortingcheetah
1st May 2008, 06:00
:hmm:

Things have changed down here and are doing so all the time. Part 61 has come into operation which is causing a degree of confusion.
If you write to the CAA, you might wait a long time for a response and when it arrives, it might not be what you want to hear. Matters at the CAA seem rather ambivalent, depending upon whose desk your inquiry were to arrive.

Here is a link which might be of some use...

http://www.caa.co.za/

and here is some information form that link.....

http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/AIC'S/30.7.pdf

Had to write the Air Law and Procedures, Commercial, the other day. If that is what you are after, there are one or two operators and Grand Central and certainly one at Lanseria airports who will sell you the notes necessary for passing that exam. If you go that route, make sure you ask whoever you are buying from for their Part 61 amendments.

The notes may be obtained from...

Flight Training Services. FAGC.
Babcock Aviation. FAGC.
Aeronav. FALA.

and perhaps other training centres.

You will no doubt need a medical but any of the above centres should have an on airfield doctor which they can recomend. You will have to undergo a stress ECG for a South African Class 1.

Hope that is of some use to you. The workplace is probably a bit flush with vintage 737 pilots at the moment because Nationwide has just collapsed.
:\

zimsean
2nd May 2008, 14:32
I am in the same boat with the CAA - validation of an FAA comm. I have spoken to them about the new regs. They told me that if I have had the validation for more than 3 years and done more than 750 hours in that time then the licence would be converted directly into a South African one. (I'm not sure if a flight test would be needed now that I think about it, it didn't sound like it). If you don't meet these requirements, time to hit the books - all the exams and flight tests!

If you have only renewed it once I don't think they will accept it but give them a call and ask them. Once you can get them to answer their phones they are reasonably helpful.

reinbobber
3rd May 2008, 08:52
thanks all for the comments- I got my original validation in Sept of 2005 and had renewed Sept 2006 good till sept of 2007. Since I am flying an N-registered a/c I don't need the validation, didn't renew it, but would still like to maintain the validation for possible future use.

Seems like no one has a definitive answer including the CAA!

I will just have to show up and ask to be revalidated and see what happens!

I have also been told that as long as one is flying outside of SA one can renew