PDA

View Full Version : Excess Rent Allowance

jollygreenfunmachine
30th Apr 2008, 12:56
After some advice. I am posted to RAF Benson in the very near future. I have been told that there is no accomodation available in the WO & Sgts Mess and as such i will have the joys of living in a portacabin. Fortunately i do not have a cat that enjoys swinging (easy now).
Does anyone know if there is a minimum standard of accomodation that can be accepted and what the criteria is for renting off base and claiming excess rent allowance?
Cheers.

Tiger_mate
30th Apr 2008, 14:30
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/2453861529_904011842f_m.jpg

mmmm..... Where are 230 Sqn going to live then?

Build more dog kennels. I didnt think that when you said that you were going to bounce some pussy off all 4 walls you were talking about a cat!! Have they resorted to singlies living in FMQ's at Benson?

TheWizard
30th Apr 2008, 16:26
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2225/2453861529_904011842f_m.jpg
Have they resorted to singlies living in FMQ's at Benson?

In a word, yes.

lokiukuk
2nd May 2008, 10:13
That's four words!!!

Tricorn
2nd May 2008, 12:59
JGFM, If I had threpence for every hour I had spent (over the years) trying to find a definition of minimum standards I'd be a rich man (well, I would have a few bob!).

If anyone knows the answer, please post post-haste.

jollygreenfunmachine
2nd May 2008, 13:32
Hi, my understanding was that they were stopping the use of MQ's now for singlies, indeed i am reliably informed that there is a new delivery of portacabins expected!. As already stated, things will surely get worse when 230 return?! So, does anybody actually know the qualifying criteria for excess rent allowance? I could always sell my 4 bed house up here and buy a a 1 bedroom flat down there. After all it's a sellers market, no credit crunch, the RAF will pay all my fees incurred in selling and buying........oh my mistake!

Scribbly
4th May 2008, 17:37
There's a JSP on the Defence Intranet library which has all the dimensions and fittings required as a minimum for every rank in singlies accommodation. Have to admit that I've not needed to look beyond the singlies pages so far but I'll try and remember to have a look when I get back to work next week.

I had thought that everyone had been brought back in from ERA/SSSA which is why the MQs are filling up with singlies who can't fit into the Messes. Good job we still own lots of accommodation in the areas surrounding our major bases. Oh, sorry I forgot. We don't.

spheroid
5th May 2008, 14:07
Are those the recommended standards of accommodation or the absolute standards

Winch-control
5th May 2008, 15:04
Do they meet the Brize standards for those posted/detatched overseas?

GalleyTeapot
6th May 2008, 12:06
I think the days of excess rent allowance (ie take the money and sleep in your mates spare room) are gone and you now get Substitute Single Service Accommodation (SSSA) whereby a local privately rented accommodation of the standard laid down in the JSP will be provided. Unless you are a very senior officer you will probably have to share somewhere (as far as I remember most ranks are only entitled to a private bedroom, all other facilities can be shared).

Your friendly and efficient HR staff will be able to point you in the right direction.:rolleyes:

Scribbly
6th May 2008, 15:45
Think I've found it, try JSP 464. Don't tell them I told you...