PDA

View Full Version : PETITION: Bring back viewing facilities at EGNT

dannyboyo20
30th Apr 2008, 09:12
Hi all, sorry a little off topic, but i've started a petition that will be sent to Newcastle Airport, to bring back a viewing gallery of some sort. I would be very grateful if you could sign, as it is people like yourselves that spend the most time in and around airports.

Thankyou very much,Daniel B

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Apr 2008, 09:51
So where is the petition?

I suspect Newcastle is like a lot of other places - they can make more money using the space for better things than accommodating spotters. When my wife and I started spotting in the 50s aviation was very exciting and the roof gardens at Heathrow were always crowded. However, when I went to work there in the 70s and my wife would bring our two sons up to meet me and do some spotting, the roof gardens were almost empty. Interests change - aviation is a way of life now for the majority of people so they do not see the need to go and watch the planes....

CentreFix25
30th Apr 2008, 17:59
Petition here: Click (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/newcastleviewinggallery/)

CentreFix25
30th Apr 2008, 18:20
aviation is a way of life now for the majority of people so they do not see the need to go and watch the planes
Even before Concorde arrived, the Aviation Viewing Park at Manchester would indicate otherwise. Not only are people visiting in good numbers, they are also prepared to pay for the privelage.

timmy2shoes
30th Apr 2008, 19:07
I think those looking for the owners of NEWCASTLE AIRPORT to start providing a viewing area are not really living in the same world that the airport business works in.

Newcastle airports prime function is to process fare paying passengers
For every little boy with his dad who wants to stand and watch the planes
The airport could process another £££ passenger
The airport is a profit driven business it’s not a day out.
Much is being made of the fact that these spotters will make money for the airport.
Stop and think where all the facilities, bars, cafes, shops .seating etc are
Airside where the people paying the money is
The airport don’t want anyone blocking up the building who is not travelling
I.e. No seating anymore landside apart from what’s left of “Cafe Pronto”
Which by the looks of it won’t be around much longer?
If there was money to be made out of the spotters” Wings bar” would still be in business.
Sounds harsh
But just how many people don’t use NCL to travel from because the lack of a viewing platform for none travellers
Not Many I bet

CentreFix25
30th Apr 2008, 19:27
Newcastle airports prime function is to process fare paying passengersSame as Manchester, not doubted by anyone.

For every little boy with his dad who wants to stand and watch the planes
The airport could process another £££ passengerCan they not do both, Manchester does.

The airport don’t want anyone blocking up the building who is not travellingDoesn't have to be in the terminal building.

If there was money to be made out of the spotters” Wings bar” would still be in business.More to that story than meets the eye, not sure it would still be in business regardless.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Apr 2008, 19:41
If the text of the petition is what we see on that site I imagine the airport authorities would fall about laughing, then bin it. Bad grammar, bad punctuation, bad spelling.... professional people probably would not enjoy being addressed "Hi guys and girls " (sic). No.. sorry, complete waste of space on this forum.

CentreFix25
30th Apr 2008, 20:38
No.. sorry, complete waste of space on this forum.Constructive :ugh:

Hotel Tango
30th Apr 2008, 22:46
You're right HD, but, as a spotter yourself, perhaps you might consider putting your good education and 63 years of life experience to good use in assisting the young lad in developing something more presentable - if he wants such help of course. Just a thought - not a criticism.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st May 2008, 07:23
Hotel Tango. With my background I can fully appreciate why some larger airfields do not devote space for spotters - we're playing a game; they're trying to provide a professional service and make money. That said, there are plenty of airfields where spotters are welcome to roam virtually freely and it is at such places where my wife and I are frequently to be found.

I do not think I could possibly come up with any sensible reason why an airport authority should devote space to "us".

chiglet
1st May 2008, 12:31
professional people probably would not enjoy being addressed "Hi guys and girls "

HD, I don't think that he is addressing the "Management", more the ordinary punter. Just my view :ok:
watp,iktch