PDA

View Full Version : Prince William flies C-17 to Afghanistan

Al R
30th Apr 2008, 05:07
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7374589.stm

:ugh:

If I knew it was that easy after just a few months (heck, my basic training was longer), then I'd have done it! Cynical souls on the BBC are suggesting this is all a PR counter strike.

Perish the thought.

Stuff
30th Apr 2008, 06:41
There's a huge difference between flying an aircraft and operating an aircraft but of course none of the news stories seem to pick up on this. I wonder what the general public think of long and expensive regular RAF flying training when it can "obviously" be done in only a couple of months!

Vortex_Generator
30th Apr 2008, 06:49
The prince, 25, who received his RAF pilot's wings earlier this month, flew a military transport plane for part of the journey from the UK to Kandahar.
I've done that, and I don't have any wings!!!!!!!!

Gainesy
30th Apr 2008, 07:05
Damned if he does, damned if he don't. :rolleyes:

VinRouge
30th Apr 2008, 07:09
Not ANOTHER C-17 in the news surely? :}

Al R
30th Apr 2008, 07:22
Stuff said:There's a huge difference between flying an aircraft and operating an aircraft but of course none of the news stories seem to pick up on this. I wonder what the general public think of long and expensive regular RAF flying training when it can "obviously" be done in only a couple of months!

I've just been checking back through my diary. I see that during basic training, we were once given a free weekend during the first field firing package because of flooding on the Moors. Rather than have us loaf about kicking our heels, couldn't they have put us through the Loadmaster course?

luoto
30th Apr 2008, 07:37
Pongos on arrse are fawning madly. Gawd Bless You Sire and all of that.

Wonder if the forces around the "media op doughnut" will be any more genuinely pleased compared to when politicians were there.

Echo 5
30th Apr 2008, 08:00
Rather than have us loaf about kicking our heels, couldn't they have put us through the Loadmaster course?

So that would have filled in the Saturday with a lie in on the Sunday. :)

Eye off the ball
30th Apr 2008, 08:04
Sky News are reporting that it was First Officer Wales that flew to Afghanistan. Did he manage to get a 3 day ATPL course too?

Hope he's not taking me on my holidays this year!;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th Apr 2008, 08:22
Another thread and a couple more post's, keep them coming chap as the 1000 in under a year is a racing cert now :sad:

Al R
30th Apr 2008, 08:30
Hardly! I'd have fitted in whatever it is that Seldom does.

Rather than have us loaf about kicking our heels, couldn't they have put us through the Loadmaster course? Al

So that would have filled in the Saturday with a lie in on the Sunday. :) Echo

Al R
30th Apr 2008, 08:34
Seldom said;

Another thread and a couple more post's, keep them coming chap as the 1000 in under a year is a racing cert now :sad:

:ok: Aw, cheers mate, not long now eh? We can have a party, are you free to do the stewarding bit?

Il Duce
30th Apr 2008, 08:41
Rumour has it that Flt Lt Wales DFC will be flying Harriers on offensive ops in Helmand this weekend.

I started the rumour, but what the heck. It could happen. Couldn't it?

Blakey875
30th Apr 2008, 08:45
Seldom - When Loadmasters do ground tours do they become Kitchen Supervisors, Mess Managers or moonlight with Pickfords?

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th Apr 2008, 09:31
Blakey,

Wouldn't know as apart from the 14 years as a techie I have never done a ground tour as an ALM but will be starting one in a short while.

However why not have a look at the following site which will hopefully help answer your question

http://www.mod-abc.co.uk/

Select pension calculator and then Input the following

RAF, MACr, 01/09/1957, 01/09/1974, 01,09,2012, AFPS 05, No, Yes, Professional Aviator, 01/04/2004, MACr, MACr, Level 20 salary 58467

Check the results and ask me if when I leave in a few years time will I

a. be like our ex gunner and feel the need to post in here every 5 minutes as I obviously have nothing better to do with my life

b. retire, travel, see the world and have a bloody good time in my retirement.

Whilst I accept that ex service folk are more than welcome in here I think that apart from the odd glance I will certainly be leaving this website for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here. :ok:

Edited to state the dates given are fictitious but close enough to the truth and for Al, select option b :ok:

Warmtoast
30th Apr 2008, 12:11
Prince William flies C-17 to Afghanistan

Didn't know Afghanistan was a popular location for:

1. Stag-nights out
2. European weddings
3. and am surprised that his girlfriend has a country house out there

So if we ignore past precedent and the the three options above, what was the reason for the flight?

Union Jack
30th Apr 2008, 12:17
Rumour has it that Flt Lt Wales DFC will be flying Harriers on offensive ops in Helmand this weekend

Nice one ... but keep an eye open for any additions to his Golden Jubilee Medal!:)

Jack

GPMG
30th Apr 2008, 12:48
Crikey, it must be a really boring week for this to be a topic of conversation.

Airborne Aircrew
30th Apr 2008, 12:51
I love Seldom's MO... He comes in, snipes at someone and, when they respond, he tells them how he's retiring soon and he's going to be rich on a military pension.

Seldom, do everyone here a favor and take your misplaced superiority and file it between your obvious insecurity and your blatant misunderstanding of real life... You'll need to keep working to supplement your pension before your income impresses anyone because we are all well aware of how limited your earning potential really is in the military... That's exactly why we left in the first place... :rolleyes:

exscribbler
30th Apr 2008, 13:06
Fixed wing? Rotary? Now multi-engine? HRH had better not go near any Kryptonite.:ugh:

brakedwell
30th Apr 2008, 13:07
Rumour has it that Flt Lt Wales DFC will be flying Harriers on offensive ops in Helmand this weekend

Newsflash - Squadron Leader Bigglesworth has bravely volunteered to take his place. :)

exscribbler
30th Apr 2008, 14:31
He's done almost as well as HRH; the last jet I recall Biggles being current on was a Hunter! :E

D O Guerrero
30th Apr 2008, 14:39
According to Clarence House (from the DT) “William is determined to do a proper job like his fellow officers. His view is if he in the services he has to step up to the table.”

How exactly? Suggestions?

Shadwell the old
30th Apr 2008, 15:17
I am really saddened by the hard time everyone is giving Fg Off Wales. As was said earlier he is damned if he does and damned if he does not.

No one seems to have mentioned the part of the BBC news report that says how he was "honoured", that he travelled back in the aircraft with the body of a soldier killed in action and that he had a private meeting with the relatives when they landed. I am sure they were comforted by the meeting and that is a job I would not want to do for all the tea in China.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that he "operated" the aircraft or that he did the take off, landing or approach. He was probably given a familiarisation tour of the controls and a quick pole under the watchful eye of the Squadron QFI.

I am also sure that his visit to "the front line" would have been much more welcome than any politician who would never agree to be put through any military basic training. I have never met the gentleman, but I am sure he is genuinely interested, rather than showing a "politicians interest" in any topic.

All the stick he has had to take recently from the press and pruners is without any right of reply. I admire the man and am sure that he is an excellent ambassador for his family and our beleagured country.

Rant off - thanks for listening

Shadwell

Green Flash
30th Apr 2008, 15:20
I just hope he has a decent train set to play with when it's his turn!

Old Ned
30th Apr 2008, 15:32
Shadwell the Old

A nice point, Sir. Fg Off Wales would be the target of spite from small people whatever he did. At least he is using the experience, albeit rather brief, he picked up at Cranwell. No doubt he will conn a few ships (if we have any left) when he completes his few months with the RN, thus giving matelots a chance to slag him off!

I for one salute him. He has an uneviable position and seems to be a very approachable and clubable sort. I would rather drink with him in the mess that some of the bores one finds there. He recently pitched up at a local pub here, "out east", and spoke to everyone in the bar and not one mobile phone camera was flashed at him! I hope he returns soon.

Pip pip ON

Jackonicko
30th Apr 2008, 15:32
This is exactly what he should be doing - observing RAF aircraft, aircrew and personnel doing what they do routinely, and not on an unrepresentative and dedicated joyride.

The C-17 wasn't used to get him to a party in Nice, didn't stop off for a low flypast of Balmoral, and the sortie hasn't been presented as legitimate pilot training for the lad.

Absolutely top marks for the visit to Headley Court and the private meeting with the dead soldier's family, too.

As to what he might do do in order to do "a proper job like his fellow officers" and to "step up to the table", then a stint as SDO or Orderly Officer on a wet saturday night at (say) Honington would be a good start. He might then shadow an over-worked JENGO at Kinloss for a week, and an ATCO at Valley for another.

LOTA
30th Apr 2008, 15:40
According to the MOD, Prince William did the following:

"During the flight to Kandahar he sat supervised as a crew member under instruction in the co-pilot seat for a short period of time. He did not operate the aircraft during take-off and landing. He accompanied the crew for training and an understanding of operating strategic transport aircraft into theatre. This enabled him to receive instruction on the aircraft's operations on the flight deck. His previous training at RAF Brize Norton was designed to prepare him for this."

I'm not a Royalist in any way, shape or form but I can't understand the sniping or see that this trip did anything other than good for the RAF. It certainly did not boost this dreadful government or its foolhardy policies; I'm sure those he met in theatre were pleased to see him.

As an aside, a colleague of mine spent time with William when he did a bit of training at Valley last year. He said the prince was completely pro-RAF, down-to-earth and and an impressive individual who fitted in with all ranks. Make of that what you will.....:)

Green Flash
30th Apr 2008, 15:44
At least he took a routine trucking trip to somewhere you need your CBA and helmet, instead of a 125 to partytown. I'm begginning to warm to this guy .....

Whenurhappy
30th Apr 2008, 15:45
Shadwell the Old,

I totally concur with your comments about Prince William. Short of him marrying a Catholic (or a divorcee) his lot in life is predetermined and it could be many years before he gets to be the Regeant, always holding the cheerful thought that this will be when his father dies. Apart from his charity work, there is probably little that William can sink his teeth into and derive satisfaction (KM notwithstanding); he is probably envious of Harry's brief respite from the media glare whilst Harry rained bombs down on the Talibs.

Having attended some 18 Commonwealth ramp ceremonies in AFG last year, and having found them particularly moving, I don't envy William's few minutes that he spent with the family of the bereaved. I expect also that he was incredibly sincere. How many 24 year olds are ever expected to do that?

Finally - his 'wings'. Two weeks ago the Sunday Times claimed there were rumblings within the RAF about William receiving the Flying Badge without completing the extended practice bleeding of a full course. Well, having spoken to a fair few aircrew in the course of the last few weeks, not one has resented him being awarded - and subsequently wearing - his 'wings'. All I can surmise is that the Sunday Times trawled PPRUNE and claimed that the postings were indicative of RAF vox pop. As has been observed in a number of postings, his 'work experience' with the RAF, indeed with the other services, will stand him in good stead for a life that he can never really call his own and is devoted to the service of others.

Hurrah!

WP

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th Apr 2008, 15:50
Green flash has got it spot on :ok:

You have to feel a lot of sympathy for the chap as I doubt he is "bigging it up" with regards to his piloting skills and those that flew with him when he visited us commented on what a thoroughly nice guy he was.

Those that offer criticisms of him should really take a step back and ask themselves just what they really expect him to do :=

exscribbler
30th Apr 2008, 16:26
I think HRH is a good lad with a strong sense of duty who tries hard to do the right thing and should be commended for it.

His biggest problem is the utter cr*p both written and spoken by so-called journalists (and I include the RAF PR in this) who can't be bothered to research a subject properly and/or find it hard to present facts in a logical order and in some depth.

This is a direct result of "dumbing down" to make things easier for the masses. Everything has to be in small bites in case the audience loses concentration.

Years ago I was taught that achievement always closely matched expectations and now we're almost down to the wood. Thank the Lord that we still have a few of the better kind but they're getting to be an endangered species.

Pessimist? Moi?

Ken Scott
30th Apr 2008, 16:37
Whenurhappy: well said! The guy is showing willing & doing his best within the constraints imposed on him by his family & the government. He probably would love to do much more but can't.

Il Duce
1st May 2008, 07:24
exscribbler. Nail struck firmly on head!

exscribbler
1st May 2008, 08:32
Il Duce: Grazie mille! :ok:

Lurking123
1st May 2008, 09:07
I'm guessing that some of the (tongue in cheek?) derogatory comments on this thread are coming from people who hold the Queen's Commission. How strange......:bored:

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st May 2008, 10:41
I think maybe some are a little miffed now the cats out of the bag about how easy the pilots course must be, after all fast jet, rotary and AT qualified in such a short space of time how difficult can it be.........................:E

Jackonicko
1st May 2008, 11:01
There is no inconsistency in supporting HRH's C-17 experience, and applauding the RAF/MoD PR handling of that sortie, while simultaneously questioning the Chinook fiasco and condemning the risibly poor PR handling of that episode.

And I have to say that I've detected something like a 33:33:33 split on the issue of William's Wings between the "He deserves them:The award cheapens them:I don't give a toss" tendencies among those current and retired aircrew I've spoken to.

Green Flash
1st May 2008, 11:28
fast jet, rotary and AT qualified
Whoa, 'ang on! He might know that you point the sharp end towards Terry best results but I don't think he would be Q'd as we would understand it, eh folks? He hasn't done OCU or anything like that. He's got a fast-tracked PPL if you want to think of it in those terms and he's had some other experience ie rotary, trucking (wot, no Typhoon??) but he sure ain't qualified to do CAS over Helmand or a MediVac out of Basra or whatever. Surely there are not those here who are worried that he's going to fly combat next week and someone will be turfed out of a cockpit to make room for him - because you can put your mortgage on the fact that it isn't going to happen, no way!

StopStart
1st May 2008, 11:46
I'd question your stats Jacko. Given that I talk to aircrew everyday and indeed are one I'd suggest the breakdown is more 3:3:94.....

Green Flash - your post reads like a gorblimey from The Sun. Jolly good effort.

Green Flash
1st May 2008, 12:04
StopStart

Did it? Oh dear ..... But thanks anyway.

Union Jack
1st May 2008, 12:49
Kinloss next then for a few pies and then he'll be maritime qualified as well!

Surely no time for that since he's off quite soon for some real maritime service - with the Senior Service!:) After some interesting sounding leave, I believe .....

Jack

ghostrider1
1st May 2008, 12:51
Maybe he can take a Type 23 for Cowes week !

That would make it interesting.

davejb
1st May 2008, 16:52
This was good PR, which should be welcomed - especially by those convinced the public's attention span varies from non-existent to limited.
I'd love to hope that this was a planned recovery by the PR lot, rather than blind chance.... limited as the chap's experience might have been this time round, it ought to help people forget the dafter incidents.

I don't see the need to award wings to the chap, but as the whole family get to pin whatever they want on, and wear any uniform they fancy (or design one of their own) it would probably be churlish to complain about abbreviated training in this case unless one is prepared to complain about a long list of ancestors dressing up as 'colonel of the 23rd foot and mouth' etc.

So, hospital visit good, C17 trip good - let's hope there are more items in the PR gaff recovery plan before the navy send him to find the golden rivet...

Dave

Two's in
2nd May 2008, 00:41
Thought it triggered a Monty python memory, to paraphrase;

King Otto: Well, in that case, I must set you a task, so that you can prove yourself worthy of my daughter's hand.

Prince Walter:Why?

King Otto: Because she's a fcuking princess, that's why!

exscribbler
2nd May 2008, 12:16
Try this one:

“Your Highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's p*ss, I only mean that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around it is dark” :E

Wiley
2nd May 2008, 13:31
Major, major, major thread drift, but some will see a tenuous connection to the thread's topic:

I've just finished reading the excellent "3 PARA", (highly recommended), and was a little surprised to read of non-commissioned ranks being awarded "nnn-Crosses".

With the notable exception of the VC and GC, I had it in my mind that traditionally, the system was AF or DFC for officers, AF or DFM for enlisted men, and for the pongos, an MC for the officer and an MM for a non-commissioned soldier.

Have I been wrong from the start, or has the cross/medal officer/soldier differentiation been changed somewhere along the way?

exscribbler
2nd May 2008, 13:38
No longer is it medals for the men and crosses for the Horficers - it was changed a couple of years ago. They all get the same now.

My grandfather was very proud of his WW1 MM; he said an MC didn't quite match up but then he'd been in since 1900 and his reserve engagement had been due to end in August 1914 so perhaps he had a jaundiced view.

Hands to dinner; officers to lunch! :E