PDA

View Full Version : If you ain't UK trained....

sparx007
29th Apr 2008, 21:05
.....you won't get a job with the UK airlines????

Just wondered how true this is in people opinions or experiences!!!! sadly we live in a country where we pay over the odds for everything, not only our training but the fuel we use to drive us to the airfield etc etc etc. Training away from the UK has to be a tempting proposition but then you hear this will all but end your chances of flying for a UK airline....is this so....personally i don't see how it could but what do i know!!!!

any ideas??

Sparx007

Mercenary Pilot
29th Apr 2008, 21:16
If you ain't UK trained....

Nobody gives a ****.

As long as you got the blue/green book and can pass the sim check, that's all they really care about.

:ok:

dynamite dean
29th Apr 2008, 21:19
I reckon if you have the hours , and relevent experience your fair game for a job! - Thats just how it is.

JB007
29th Apr 2008, 21:51
Agree with everyone above! My first airline in Scotland is now like a UN Delegation!!!!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
30th Apr 2008, 10:51
Where you do your training mate is of no real relevance. With all the ticks in the right boxes to get you your licences, shows that you have met the standard.

isi3000
1st May 2008, 09:18
Not true at all. As long as you have the correct licences it's fine :ok:

mustflywillfly
1st May 2008, 09:29
I would like to think that this is true as I could save a couple of grand if I did the CPL in the USA, combine that with the time of year I will be doing the CPL, November / December then the USA would be a much better prospect.

However, I have heard and read an awful lot about the fact that it is preferable if you have done all your training with the same FTO from CPL onwards. I intend doing the IR in the UK (prob at Bournemouth) post CPL and an FI in the UK but I have convinced myself that the cheeky little CPL done in the States will be the difference between getting a job and not in today's (and ever increasingly so with the economic downturn) harsh job market. I would like to work for FlyBe but they seem to have become uber selective now and are only interested in integrated (CTC) or Modular who have done all their training at one of a handful of FTO's.

Is it really wise to shave off that couple of grand?? Honestly?

Mercenary Pilot
1st May 2008, 09:55
However, I have heard and read an awful lot about the fact that it is preferable if you have done all your training with the same FTO from CPL onwards.Pilot magazine makes good ass wipe. :ok:

Believe whatever you want but I'm pretty sure most of the responses so far are from current airline pilots.

portsharbourflyer
1st May 2008, 12:01
Mustfly,

To pick your flying school on the basis you want a job with one particular airline is not in my opinion the best informed choice in the world, even a little short sighted.

As the others have said training in the US makes little difference to post training employment prospects.

However if you really are that keen on Flybe you should look to consider training at Aeros, Atlantic of Cabair as these all currently have recommendation schemes to flybe; how many of the studenst actually get the recommendation I do not know you will have to research yourself. But I have met and have known individuals to get recommended from two of these schools.

However if it really concerns you one way round this is to pick a UK school that has an associated school in the US and that way you can still claim to have completed the training at one FTO, for example Cabair have a US school in Florida doing JAA training for the CPL, therefore if you then complete the IR at Cabair Bourenmouth you will still have technically completed training at one FTO. Though note I am not recommending Cabair (far from it, would be my last choice of the schools based in Bournemouth).

However from past experience you will find JAA approved FTOs in the US do tend to charge extra for JAA training compared to the equivalent FAA training at the same site.

mustflywillfly
1st May 2008, 12:22
Thanks for the advice PortsHarbour

Perhaps my post was worded badly. I do not intend to pick an FTO based on one particular airline, I would agree this is shortsighted. I was merely trying to make the point that several airlines, FlyBe being one of them have preffered FTO's and isn't that a pain in the arse when you hold the same qualification as the next man at the end of the day.

My first choice at BH is not Cabair either, indeed I am currently doing DL ATPL GS with the other well known FTO there (not least because they are registered with the Armed Forces ELC scheme).

Modular is the only viable route for me, especially in these dodgy times, I think it is important to keep the day job. Common sense dictates that the fewer FTO's on your "CV" the better, although of course there will always be bods who blow this theory out of the water. I am not advocating the one FTO route and would indeed prefer not to have such constraints.

BTW is that PortsHarbour as in Portsmouth?

Cheers MFWF

Wilton Shagpile
1st May 2008, 12:29
There was a thread on here a while ago about this. The rectriction seems to be that France won't automatically accept a JAR licence if the holder passed a CPL skills test in the USA. They have an issue with the CAA's decision to allow this so I understand.

Other than that, there is no problem...I did my CPL in the US and I work for a UK airline.

portsharbourflyer
1st May 2008, 12:59
Mustfly,

Yes it is a reference to Portsmouth Harbour.

Aplogises if I came across as over critical in the previous reply. The only reason I mentioned Cabair is because it is the only example I could think off at the moment that has both UK and US bases.; though there are others.

Another thought would be you could do the multi and IR first if you are due to finishexams in the winter and then do the CPL when the weather improves. At least the IR training is less weather dependent.

That way you would only need to do a 15 hour CPL course.

Though last year we had such a terrible summer that even May and June were a write off for VFR training.

CY333
1st May 2008, 13:54
Hmmmm.
This is something that pops up in my thoughts, but actually is down to the airline you want to work for.
I will give you an example.
In Cyprus due to the fact that the locals have been under the British for a few years , most of the laws and systems,(roads, electrical power,aviation etc...) is just like back home.
DCA of Cyprus used to be under the CAA, so they have had this culture of hiring only pilots/engineers who had a CAA issued lisence for years.
Now, I know that in the last selection, some pilots who had a Greek lisence, tried to apply for a place but failed to get through.
A key individual in the selection told me that they do not really care if you have a lisence issued in the UK or Poland, just as long as it is a JAA.
Personally?
I believe in will take time for the JAA to be established in airlines like this one and if you have a CAA lisence, it plays a major role under the table.
But I believe that you cant get better training than the UK, but is always down to personal opinion.

Alex Whittingham
1st May 2008, 14:14
My view would be no, it doesn't matter. The license is switched to a UK one anyway as soon as you start flying for a UK registered operator.

FougaMagister
1st May 2008, 15:35
My two pences' worth: I did JAA PPL, CAA IMC, night Q and initial Multi in the US, ground school in the UK, JAA CPL in South Africa, IR and MCC in the UK. During the interviews I had since then, nobody batted an eyelid, except to mention that playing the exchange rate was a clever way to save money on training. My current employer couldn't care less either. At the end of the day, it's all CAA-issued JAA.

As Wilton Shagpile mentioned, the DGAC :yuk: in France routinely refuse to recognise a CPL undertaken in a non-JAA member State (USA or Oz or Canada or RSA) due to some small script they have included in JAR-FCL 1 to protect their own FTOs. I did try a few years ago, and still have the refusal letter to prove it (but there are no flying jobs in French airlines anyway :uhoh: )

Cheers :cool:

sparx007
2nd May 2008, 13:08
cheers for your answers and opinions folks.....i just don't understand the whole issue...surely if you end up with a JAA licence in hand you have ticked all the boxes....quality of training is surely a subjective thing....i am sure there are exceptional pilots that have trained at 'so called lesser' schools than poor pilots at the 'so called best schools' but both have the same licence in hand....surely the airlines can't rely on an FTO's name on a CV.....this is why i don't think it matters too highly but i may be wrong!!!! somebody mentioned sim checks etc in an above post....it must be here that ability comes through regardless of the FTO!!!! so where does the belief come from....is it simply UK FTO's seeking to protect themselves in a world where training abroad can offer significant savings to trainees??? As for the French...what can one say??? different for differents sake i guess!!!!!!! Thanks again for yout views,

Sparx007