PDA

View Full Version : PPL then IR then CPL: is it worth it?

mattia_70
29th Apr 2008, 18:11
Hi all, I am looking for advice. I am about to finish my PPL in UK.
After that I was thinking of putting together the 150 hrs needed to start my CPL flight training.

In your opinion is it worth it to spend some of those 150 hours to get the IR before starting with the CPL?

I mean, if I go the the USA to do my hour building to get the 150 hours, isn't it better to squeeze in the IR in the mean time?

Thanks

Notoc
29th Apr 2008, 20:09
Why 150 hrs ? You will need 70 hrs PI to commence the JAR-FCL IR (55hr) Course. Then 150 hrs Total to commence the CPL Course. Your IR training will count towards the total.
PM me if your require further info.

MIKECR
29th Apr 2008, 20:16
You will also have to sit the ATPL or IR theoretical exams before you can commence the IR. Doing the IR exams, as a 'stand alone', then having to do the ATPL exams after that is a total waste of time. Bite the bullet and do the ATPL's before you do anything else.

brs
29th Apr 2008, 21:25
hi

what is the cheapest thing to take first.... IR ot CPL

most scholls in europe want students to take CPL first because IR is very difficult....is that tru

and what about the prices??

mattia_70
29th Apr 2008, 21:31
Maybe I did not explain myself. I try again.
I know the requirements for CPL, IR and ATPL.

I know that many, after the PPL, do hour building to get to 150, then start the CPL and IR courses.

I was wondering if it is more convenient (or if it is just a matter of personal preference) to sit the ATPL theoretical exams and then, instead of doing hour building by flying cross country VFR in the USA towrds the 150 hrs, do the IR trining while logging the 150 to start CPL training.

In other words I am asking opinions on the two following routes:

PPL --> hour bulding to 150 hrs + ATPL theoretical exams --> CPL/IR training and skill tests

or

PPL --> studying for ATPL while training for IR --> ATPL exams --> IR skill test --> 150 hrs --> CPL training and skill test.

Thanks

MIKECR
29th Apr 2008, 21:43
Mattia,

You will not find an fto who will allow you start an IR without at least theoretical IR or atpl exams passed.

Best advice - do your ppl, then do atpl exams whilst hour building. Once you have all 14 atpls in the bag, then decide whether its CPL or MEIR first. Theres no short cut im afraid.

zapoi67
29th Apr 2008, 22:22
Two experienced guys in Canada strongly adviced me to do MEIR before CPL.

doctordoom
30th Apr 2008, 23:18
Do your PPL then your ATPL exams then your hour building, cause if you cant pass those exam's you have just blown alot of money on hourbuilding.:ok:

AlphaMale
1st May 2008, 08:53
Mattia,

There is a very local school (for you) who operate our of BRS that encourages you to carry out your ME-IR before your CPL. And I can see why it makes sence too, you'll go into the CPL as a more confident pilot and rather than having 5hrs knocked off your IR time for having a CPL you'll have 10hrs knocked off your CPL as you have an IR (Or at least off the top of my head that's right?).

Good luck