PDA

View Full Version : To all those who have done IR on a DA42

coodem
29th Apr 2008, 15:52
Can you guys tell me what you were allowed to use.

Can you use the direct to instead of Rnav (as there is no conventional RNAV on the G1000)

Can you enter the flightplan on the G1000, can it be displayed on the MFD

The school I am with have just got the DA42, so I am one of the first students to go through, so no one has any real first hand experience

Any tips to make things easier

THRILLSEEKER
29th Apr 2008, 18:17
A flight plan may be entered and displayed on the MFD, the map scale is to be put out to 150NM scale (well that was the deal I had, and that was with the CAA chief examiner). This stops it being used for tracking however you can see how far along the current leg you are. Also the wind vector is present, this is a great help in the cruise, but beware in the hold as it lags and takes time to update.

You are alowed to use the Autopilot in the cruise, usually after the first turning point. If tracking a VOR you can put it in NAV mode and let the autipilot track it.

You can update the flight plan at any time using the Direct To function, this then shows you the track required on the PFD.

The instantaneous track info on the PFD can not be taken away so I suggest you make the best use of it :cool:

Good luck with your IR

Thrillseeker :p

matt_hooks
29th Apr 2008, 20:31
The deal is, as far as I understood from my IR examiner, that they can test you on any and all functions and equipment fitted to the aircraft. So a thorough knowledge of the G1000 is essential.

They will tell you when you can and can't use certain of the tools, for example my examiner asked me to switch the MFD away from the map display during the NDB procedure. You are expected (or at least we were) to enter the FP on the G1000, and I can't see them not allowing that, though they can fail anything that can safely be failed at any time, so make sure you keep on top of your situational awareness.

I reckon the DA42 is an extremely good aircraft to do the IR in. The most important thing is to have a very thorough understanding of the massive functionality of the G1000, it's not for no reason that they fit them to bizjets and the like!