PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Suspending operations?

grjplanes
29th Apr 2008, 11:21
Just heard rumour that Nationwide is suspending flights, and suddenly can't book anything on their website...

grjplanes
29th Apr 2008, 11:38
yep, all flights cancelled for the rest of today...so far...
767 grounded in Shannon, Ireland.
If liquidated, then no chance of seeing them again!

Mile High Flyer
29th Apr 2008, 11:57
Just recieved the actual media statement to the staff and media, "decided to voluntarily cease all flight operations until further notice"

Where to from now?

warloc67
29th Apr 2008, 12:02
Yeo, heard the same, sad news for the crews.:uhoh:

Dessert Aviator
29th Apr 2008, 12:12
Get your buts upto the desert, plenty of jobs here..... albeit living in a crap enviroment:cool:

the nebulous N
29th Apr 2008, 12:21
so the big V stops it all on a busy afternoon! he says its a money problem?:{

the nebulous N
29th Apr 2008, 12:29
so the 767 left with all the flight spares that nationwide owned? 500`s looked like they found a new home with some ruskys. who decided that we are bankrupt at 12 on a really busy afternoon? there are to many coincedences here to not think that the big V had a plan all along but neglected to tell his loyal nad overworked employees and who says getting a bee partner will get you a get out of jail for free card?:ugh:

trubru
29th Apr 2008, 13:05
His Porsche's were on the 767 aswell when it left last week Friday already!
Typical!
:mad: this for a game of cricket - back to contracts I suppose.... might have to stand queue...:*

JTrain
29th Apr 2008, 13:09
I think the pilots should do alright, albeit it won't quite be as nice as living at home and driving to work. Anybody with B737 time should be looking to China, India, or other parts of Asia. Having 737 (or Airbus 320 time) seems to be gold in terms of breaking into flying jobs over there, which typically start at north of $10k USD per month. They used to discriminate against 737-200 drivers in favor of people with 737 NG time, but not as much as in the past. There's also a fair number of 767 contract gigs available.

As a general rule of thumb, the money will be better but the quality of life won't.

Good luck to all!

nugpot
29th Apr 2008, 13:11
Guys and girls,
This might an opportunity. Everybody else is hiring.

Get your cv's to Comair, SAX and even SAA if you are desperate :E

imustbemad
29th Apr 2008, 13:21
1time has 4 or 5 resignations this month so should be some empty seats looking to be filled. Good luck

countingteeth
29th Apr 2008, 13:35
1time has 4 or 5 resignations this month so should be some empty seats looking to be filled. Good luck

Three Captains (CC, RS and KC), 1 FO (GE).
I hear those positions are going to be filled by promotions..
1T are adding to their fleet in July for new routes, maybe some direct entry positions available then, but in the short term, I doubt it... Too many FOs are eligible for upgrades.

Pitch&Fan
29th Apr 2008, 13:54
To all the folks at Nationwide,

Sorry to hear of the airlines apparent demise. Nationwide had established a good operating track record, and it is always sad to see an operator going out of business. We at SAA can hopefully look forward to employing a number of your excellent pilots and cabin-crew, which will certainly help us in the next few months.

Good luck to all concerned, this is pretty rough news.

aldeano103
29th Apr 2008, 13:59
For info the BEE company who was to obtain 51% in Shares has pulled the plug....

aldeano103
29th Apr 2008, 14:03
Johannesburg - Nationwide Airline has ceased operations until further notice, the airline announced on Tuesday.
"Our cash-flow has become critical and as a result have decided to voluntarily cease all flight operations until further notice," said chief executive Vernon Bricknell.
"We apologise to our loyal customers for any and all inconveniences experienced."
In a statement, Bricknell referred to an incident in which an engine fell off one of its planes on its departure from Cape Town International Airport in November last year.
"Subsequent to this, a protracted grounding of our fleet was mandated by the SA Civil Aviation Authority.
"In the months of December and January, we resumed operations and attained a gradual recovery of the business. However, in the months of March and April we faced a 30 percent increase in fuel costs coupled with a decrease in passenger load factors," Bricknell said.
"Throughout this period, we continued to work towards securing investment by a black empowerment consortium, which unfortunately has not come to fruition."

Cloudclipper
29th Apr 2008, 14:05
Once again, as ex CE cabin crew - my heart go's out to all the crew - just so sad!!:confused:

sbh684b
29th Apr 2008, 14:12
Nationwide halts operations
29/04/2008 15:28 - (SA)

Johannesburg - Nationwide Airline has ceased operations until further notice, the airline announced on Tuesday.

"Our cash-flow has become critical and as a result have decided to voluntarily cease all flight operations until further notice," said chief executive Vernon Bricknell.

"We apologise to our loyal customers for any and all inconveniences experienced."

In a statement, Bricknell referred to an incident in which an engine fell off one of its planes on its departure from Cape Town International Airport in November last year.

"Subsequent to this, a protracted grounding of our fleet was mandated by the SA Civil Aviation Authority.

"In the months of December and January, we resumed operations and attained a gradual recovery of the business. However, in the months of March and April we faced a 30 percent increase in fuel costs coupled with a decrease in passenger load factors," Bricknell said.

"Throughout this period, we continued to work towards securing investment by a black empowerment consortium, which unfortunately has not come to fruition."

sbh684b
29th Apr 2008, 14:17
Nationwide have 11 aircraft currently in the fleet.
Current fleet consists of B737's and a B767-300
B737-300 x 8
B737-500 x 2
B767-300 x 1

Q4NVS
29th Apr 2008, 14:26
B737-300 x 8

Think that should read:
B737-200

Anyway, a sad day...But sure even those that still do not have Jetstar, SAA, Comair or other jobs line-up, will soon be snatched up and look back at the days that were with :yuk:

Good Luck!

sbh684b
29th Apr 2008, 14:27
Jip sorry, typo

B737-200 x 8
B737-500 x 2
B767-300 x 1

fly nice
29th Apr 2008, 15:59
To all NTW crews,

I would like to wish you guys all the best and hope you find good employment soon. Vernon did not deserve your dedication and professionalism.

ps. Is there any way that he has structured the training bond in such a way that it is still liable? ie. A 'loan' from NTW CHARTER that would still be owed if NTW AIRLINES ceases operations? That would be criminal.

flyan
29th Apr 2008, 17:20
I know everyone says there are other companies looking and that having a 737 on your licence you should have no probs.... what if you one of the poor buggers who is still busy with the 737 rating but its now not on your licence.... back to turboprops or what? well thats were i am anyways so its definately a hard pill to swallow!!!

Cheers guys

jet bender
29th Apr 2008, 17:23
Thanks for concern but go back to saa i dont think so

Flyer14
29th Apr 2008, 19:06
Exactly what am I going to do with 16hrs on a 732 sim but no actual rating. Thanks alot Vernon.

tripseven
29th Apr 2008, 19:24
Thanks guys for your condolences,from all of us at NTW,hoping we get jobs reasonable quickly so we can carry on doing what we love doing...... :ugh::{:ok:

skychick2
29th Apr 2008, 19:24
''Exactly what am I going to do with 16hrs on a 732 sim but no actual rating.''

That's why VB has been labled as a ''evil person''.........he feels nothing to have put you into financial difficulty and then just walk away from the mess he has created !!

kaviation
29th Apr 2008, 19:30
How would you like the man to operate an airline on no cash and pax? He might be alot of things but I don't think this was easy for him. :=

JetPark
29th Apr 2008, 19:47
Dreadful, but not surprising news. A great shame for the Airline industry in SA. Have a lot of friends involved there - wish them and all the other Crew all the best - if I could help, I would!

aerocomm
29th Apr 2008, 21:16
actually...

11 737-200
ZS-OIV
ZS-OEZ
ZS-OMG
ZS-OOC
ZS-OOD
ZS-OVE
ZS-OVF
ZS-OVG
ZS-PIU
ZS-PIV
ZS-PIW

3 727-200
ZS-OZP
ZS-OZR
ZS-ODO

2 737-500
ZS-PKU
ZS-PKV

1 767-300
ZS-PBI

PAXboy
29th Apr 2008, 23:40
There were too many carriers in ZA. From the moment that 1T and Mango joined the party - it was only a matter of time before one of them went. There will be another - either outright closure or merger. That will be dictated by the price of oil over the next 12 months and the continuing credit crunch.

A relative of mine that is a pilot in ZA (ATPL for 12 years) has warned me for over 8 years not to fly with Nationwide as he did not trust their maintenance. On my visits, I did not use them and warned others not to. Is that fair? Well, poor maintenance was one of the main reasons for their closure.

Terrible of all those involved and, from all that I have heard, VB will do OK out of this. If any court action takes place - that is where it should be aimed.

buck2rogers69
29th Apr 2008, 23:52
Well i would like to say that none of they Guys and Gals there deserve this, but when one door closes another may just open, I AM A FIRM BELIEVER THAT EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, and you will all look back on this in time to come and say that it was a blessing!!!

I wish you all the best and hope that the grass is greener on the other side, I am sure it will be.

I also dont see you guys being jobless, look what happened with Rossair, everyone was soaked up rather quickly. Comair, Sax, Emirates,SAA, Cathay are just to short of crew right now!!!

I hope you all come right and that Vernon doesn't get a cent out of you guys, cause you all put up with way to much crap!!!

Flap Jack
30th Apr 2008, 05:00
Those Porshe's must have quite a mileage between SA and Gatwick. I seem to remember one being shipped out in December!

Working for Nationwide seems good until you leave it. Dreadful company but fantastic colleagues. Good luck everyone.

Flap Jack
30th Apr 2008, 05:00
Those Porshe's must have quite a mileage between SA and Gatwick. I seem to remember one being shipped out in December!

Working for Nationwide seems good until you leave it. Dreadful company but fantastic colleagues. Good luck everyone.

WRX737
30th Apr 2008, 06:03
My comiserations guys and girls:(

All the best for the future - Good luck!

From an ex-B732 F/O

JeanJacquesBurnel
30th Apr 2008, 06:47
Hey! That's cool info. Where did you get your gen?

Romeo E.T.
30th Apr 2008, 07:39
And didn't NTW just recently (about a month ago) settle "out-of-court" with SAA regarding the competitions board fine about the travel agents incentive fee.

Rumoured to be in the MILLIONS....where did this money go....?

lekkeroujan
30th Apr 2008, 08:09
Dear fellow pilots, I am sorry to hear about Nationwide. Please spread the word, Jade is looking for pilots. Send them your cv or just make contact. The VP flight ops said that if there is enough interest, they will arrange a roadshow in SA.

Regards,
Jan Laas

777Contrail
30th Apr 2008, 08:29
Romeo E.T. , I was wondering when that will come up........

An undisclosed amount, running into a couple of millions.

Now, knowing the wonderfull character that's VB, he must have thought it a great waste to use that money on the airline. And NEVER on his people's well being!

It's part of the assets that he moved over the last couple of months.

While my thoughts have been with all the good people that was Nationwide Airline, it is also with a great sense of relief that VB will not be around any more to exploit, use, threaten and fire&hire anymore.

Guys & gals, you can always get another job.

Believe me, it WILL be a BETTER job at that!

P.S. I'm sure ALPA SA will now come through for all the subs you paid over the years.

pgaruk
30th Apr 2008, 08:32
Bad luck guys at NTW. It has been a long time in coming, sadly. Anyone rated on a Herc, looking for a job, Transafrik want you.

Baas
30th Apr 2008, 11:58
Anyone interested "pm" me re. Dragon Air in Hong Kong, we are looking for "crew"!

"www.dragonair.com"

Cheers!

:ok:

Antman
30th Apr 2008, 12:19
So sad to hear about NW, good luck Guys And Girls

From His Highness Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, Chairman and Chief Executive, Emirates Airline and Group

As we plan for the next decade, our biggest challenges will be to find more pilots, engineers, cabin crew and skilled staff across our various business units
As of 31st March 2008, the Group employed 35,286 staff, representing 145 different nationalities. During the year, the Group hired more than 7,000 people including some 2,000 cabin crew and 400 new flight deck crew.

Go to http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com/

Emirates needs good people

Rudeman
30th Apr 2008, 18:16
To all Ex Contract drivers: Solenta would be happy to provide a home for you guys.

FMGEC
30th Apr 2008, 18:52
Dear Members
It was with great shock and sadness that I learnt of Nationwide's grounding yesterday. As you all know ALPA has been working closely with the pilot membership at Nationwide to form a branch and things were starting to look very positive. On behalf of the membership of ALPA SA I would like to express my sympathy for our Nationwide colleagues during this difficult period. ALPA is led to believe that monthly salaries were paid out to the employees. We are also offering immediate support to these members that need assistance with CV's, printing etc. We have also appealed to companies that are recruiting to contact us so that we can pass on the details of interested Nationwide pilots to them. ALPA will provide other support once it becomes clear as to the final liquidation process. ALPA Subscription fees for all Nationwide members will be waived for the next 3 months.
Kind Regards Tony Laubser President ALPA SA

Would like to add my own condolences to our colleagues at Nationwide. SAA is currently very keen for pilots esp qualified 737 guys. Their biggest problem was the 3 month notice period guys had to work off. Get hold of them ASAP. Airlink also struggling big time with loss of pilots. Alpa-SA can get you contact details. It might not be the job you would have chosen over Nationwide but its a job.
Good luck all, there but for the grace of God . . . .

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Apr 2008, 19:27
Good to see the SA aviation mob pulling together for a change.:ok:

All the best to the NW folks and hope it works out better than you imagined.

dickyd737
30th Apr 2008, 20:04
Apply to Comair, they are hiring!!:ok:

dickyd737
30th Apr 2008, 20:28
I filmed the flypast in cape town yesterday by the 737-200, on my cell phone unfortunately, same pic as on the front page of the star, how do i post it?:confused:

LittleMo
1st May 2008, 05:54
A big thank you needs to go out to the aviation fraternity that has helped out and been tremendously supportive in the last few days. A special thanks needs to go out to the guys at Mango and Link who offered their jump seats to standed CE crew in Capetown on that day. Also to Comair, especially Capt. Ian Billings and Capt. Martin Louw who made sure the pilot and cabin crew stuck in Jhb got home. All of you guys are true gentlemen and we are all grateful for what you did.

Finally to the Nationwde family, cheers guys, we wont miss all the bull the company gave us but we'll miss the crew and the people. They are what made coming to work wothwhile. The crew is what kept the place together through the tough times. Good luck with finding a new path forward and hopefully we'll be seeing eachother soon. Take care

CE F/O

flyingwerks
1st May 2008, 07:31
Heard Air Mauritius is also looking for drivers.

nugpot
1st May 2008, 07:44
A special thanks needs to go out to the guys at Mango and Link who offered their jump seats to standed CE crew in Capetown on that day.

SAX has also had their jumpseats available for flight deck crew in uniform from Tuesday. If anyone is still not home, you have 2 more days to use the SAX jumpseats.

Cirrus SR22
2nd May 2008, 06:20
Get the Saturday Star tomorrow and see what they say about Mr Bricknell.

2packson
2nd May 2008, 08:45
My experience with Nationwide service has been great especially flights to Heathrow, lots of loyal customers out there too, lots of well-trained staff -seems a huge pity and senseless for this operation to go by waisted....

Is there any truth that there have been FOUR interested parties bidding for Nationwide?

Any indication about Comairs widebody acquisition plans in 2007 and the plans to apply to the International Air Service Council about operations to London? (Perhaps Comair has an opportunity here!!?;)

In terms of a business, I am sure this opportunity will not go by un-checked, so Hang in there guys and gals of NWD, there is always a shimmer of light at the end of the tunnel...time will tell! (a new Nationwide!!:ok:)

2packson
2nd May 2008, 08:59
01 May 2008:

By Bronwyn Gerretsen

Nationwide Airlines has been thrown a lifeline with the news that two "very, very large" international companies have expressed interest in buying the beleaguered airline.

The airline was provisionally liquidated on Wednesday, but its management and attorneys were "working around the clock" to package Nationwide as a product they could sell.

Johannesburg insolvency attorney Haroon Laher said the provisional liquidation could be discharged at any point if an agreement was reached to buy the business and its assets.

At least four parties have expressed interest.

"The liquidation could well be discharged and all the employees' jobs saved. Even if the company is put into final liquidation after the six-week provisional liquidation process, it does not mean that we can't save the assets and jobs," he said.

Morphieus
2nd May 2008, 10:11
Well I dont think I'm willing to wait around in the hope that the airline gets bought out and my job saved. Airline was 95% "sold" to the AGE group and look what happened...

The other question is: At which point can the pilots consider themselfs free from their training bonds? The airline has not been liquidated yet, its only under provisional liquidation. The last thing we need is to take another job before the company is liquidated and have NTW lawyers knocking on your door asking you for R170 000! Seems far fetched but I wouldn't put it past VB.

fly nice
2nd May 2008, 11:17
It seems a little odd to me that (according to news articles) passengers re imbursement stands third in the queue after creditors and staff. This especially in the light that VB himself is the single largest creditor (for aircraft leasing) and could be paid in full, while passengers may recieve as little as '20 cents to the Rand' and staff less than is owed (leave pay, etc). Or has that already been forceably taken? (pending arbitration)

Which raises the question as to whether the leases VB (Charter) charged the airline were inflated. Would that be regarded as fraud?

Or have I got it wrong? Anyone in the know?

Oh, I'd also love to know if the SAA settlement (40 mil?) ever reached the stricken cashflow.

Flyer14
2nd May 2008, 12:38
I would'nt put it past VB to ask for our bonds back or to have committed some sort of debauchery in the relation between the charter and airline company. I guess it's back to contract.

Malagant
2nd May 2008, 14:10
To all the Nationwide crew, really sad to hear about this..at least VB could have sort of let the crew know that they should start looking else where..anyway there are lots of jobs out there that will pay the bills for awhile..nobody wants to leave home to go work elsewhere, but in the end VB had just helped another brain drain as experienced crew will leave and find homes elsewhere, a loss to SA and in particular SA aviation, VB doesn`t really care..his house and cars and everything is paid and most prob in someone else`s name so the bank cannot touch it.! Sadly it`s the crew who has to worry about where the next months income will come from..:sad: We who have jobs at this time can only hope and pray that all you guy`s and gals will back sharing the skies with us soon..:ok:

Ricoffy
2nd May 2008, 15:43
If memory serves, did'nt nationwide operate under the Care Air license, or has that changed? If not, what are the implications of bringing back Nationwide as Care Air or under another name? :bored:

asianeagle
2nd May 2008, 17:56
"The liquidation could well be discharged and all the employees' jobs saved. Even if the company is put into final liquidation after the six-week provisional liquidation process, it does not mean that we can't save the assets and jobs," he said.

Boys and girls, do yourselves a favour. Don't hang on words such as these, thinking maybe someone will rescue nationwide or your jobs. We had the same 'morse code' when the original Sun Air went down, in the end nothing happened. Get yourselves to the far east or the sandpit now!! Don't waste time.

Also, it could well take them a long time to figure out that they may or may not be able to get you to pay the training bonds back. If you are out of town, they cant get you.....nuff said!:ok:

skychick2
2nd May 2008, 18:07
Yip !! I tend to agree with you !! Go and get yourself another job. Not a pleasant thing to do always, but you might just be very happy you took that step to the Far EaSt or Sandpit now!! My humble 2cents worth.
Goodluck to you all, I know many folks and from NTW ........bladdy good people. You did'nt deserve this sudden shutdown !

Ibhayi
2nd May 2008, 23:10
Does anybody have any proof about his personal belongings being shipped out on CE. I find it suspicious that people would make comments, and risk being held accountable for accusing him of essentially breaking tax, exchange control and duty laws without proof.

Baas
3rd May 2008, 03:46
Emirates Airline is a dynamic, multicultural organisation with ambitious global growth plans and a strong record of profitable growth. Due to our rapidly expanding fleet of Airbus A330/A340 and Boeing 777 aircraft, including the impending arrival in 2008 of the first of 58 A380 aircraft, we are recruiting experienced and technically proficient First Officers to fly our extensive international route network and progress their careers to Captain.

In addition to a competitive salary and the opportunity to live in one of the world's most attractive holiday destinations, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes accommodation (including costs of power, water, gas, maintenance), health and life insurance, excellent end of service benefits, generous staff travel access for family members and educational support for children (studying in Dubai or overseas).

:ok:

Cirrus SR22
3rd May 2008, 07:19
By Karyn Maughan (Saturday Star and Weekend Argus)

Nationwide did us a dirty, say staff - lawsuits over salaries and benefits

Forty-five minutes after safely landing the Nationwide plane that famously lost its engine last year, pilots Daniel Perry and Trevor Arnold received a cellphone call from the airline's CEO.
Nationwide owner Vernon Bricknell's message to the pilots widely hailed as heroes was brief and unambiguous: talk to the media and you'll lose your jobs.
For the then 24-year-old Perry, who had been with the airline for only two weeks when he steered the stricken aircraft to safety, the threat marked the beginning of the end of his respect for the airline boss.
"We weren't heroes ... any trained pilot could have done what we did.
"But it was a fairly hectic experience to have gone through," he said. "All I remember thinking was: 'Don't you even care?' "
It was the same thought that ran through another Nationwide pilot's head on Thursday afternoon, as he witnessed one of the company's newly jobless ground staff members drink himself into oblivion and pass out, face first, on a bar counter.
Using his cellphone, he photographed the drunk man and sent the image to Bricknell's phone. His message, like the CEO's phone call to Perry and Arnold, was short: "Now look what you've done".
He did not expect an answer.
He didn't get one.
Crying, shell-shocked or furious, at least 1 000 Nationwide employees discovered on Tuesday that they no longer had jobs with the airline. Some had been working at the company for 13 years.
It would be two days later, after Bricknell released a media statement confirming that the airline had ceased operating and apologising to passengers, that staff at last were given the chance to ask questions about the company's shock financial nosedive.
Weekend Argus has been told by several sources that Nation¬wide media liaison Rodger Whittle informed staff at the airline's operations centre in Boksburg that its "positive thinking" approach had kept it from revealing, until the last possible moment, that it was in financial ruin.
The official line behind the death of Nationwide is that 63 year-old Porsche fanatic Bricknell had pinned all his hopes of the cash-strapped airline's survival on a mooted BEE deal. And, when that fell through last Friday; he knew he had no chance of saving the company.
But Weekend Argus has learnt that Nationwide staff were "very upset and angry" to discover that the airline had can¬celled their medical aid member-ships a month before it ceased operating, while still deducting contributions from their salaries.
Asked about this on Thursday; Whittle told staff he would "look into" the claim.
Meanwhile, neither Bricknell nor Whittle have responded to repeated requests for interviews about the airline's collapse, or the labour law violations it is alleged to have committed.
The Airline Pilots Association of South Africa confirmed that it had served summons against Nationwide on behalf of 50 of the airline's pilots, after the com¬pany deducted the time that the airline was grounded by the Civil
Aviation Authority, following the falling engine incident, as leave.
Staff who had no leave owing to them then had these "grounded days" deducted from their pay.
Speaking to The Star in March, Whittle insisted that staff had been asked, not forced, to take the time that Nationwide was grounded as leave
Three years ago, labour union Solidarity justified its strike action against the airline by claiming that it paid the "worst" salaries in the business and expected them to work way beyond normal hours.
The case now being brought by Nationwide's pilots is expected to form part of the multimillion rand claims stacking up against the airline, from creditors, staff and out-of-pocket passengers.
Perry, whose last day at work ironically coincided with Nationwide's last day in the air, is also considering legal action against the company - which has yet to pay him his last month's salary and six months' allowances.
Weekend Argus has established that at least five other pilots, who had resigned and were serving out their last month at Nationwide, are in the same boat as Perry and are also considering legal action.
Despite his disappointment at Bricknell's apparent indifference to his staff, Perry says it was hard for him to leave Nationwide.
"I know I was lucky to get out when I did but I have 'to say that I will miss the staff and crew that I worked with.
"The people who worked there were all part of a big family that really looked out for each other.
"There were some amazing people working at that company. When things weren't going well, they were the ones that held it together.
"It's sad to me that those people, who gave so much to Nationwide, are the ones' who got messed around the most. It just seems very, very wrong."

Cirrus SR22
3rd May 2008, 10:09
Please don't sue Nationwide Airlines. You're wasting time and money. If you must, then sue Vernon Bricknell personally. There is on the face of a strong legal case against him. Perhaps a class action.

It is clear now from the court papers that at the time, three months ago, when he was threatening departing workers with legal action he objectively new that the end was nigh.

As for Rodger J Whittle's comments to staff about being 'positive' until the till draw slammed shut, how puerile. Criminally speaking, Whittle is merely an accessory after the fact to Bricknell's fraudulent conduct.

Gentlemen, bluster is the last resort of the liar and the thief. It won’t avail you. The truth is out.

Shrike200
3rd May 2008, 12:06
Criminality aside, I don't know how those people sleep properly at night. I couldn't rest easy if I acted in such an immoral or deceptive manner. They're just scum, and if I get a chance, I'll happily say that to their face. Knowing how VB does business, the chance of legally catching him is slim - he expects this kind of result, and will no doubt have covered himself with several different legal blankets.

Dr Know
3rd May 2008, 20:27
Guys and Galls

Sorry to hear, but sitting where I am now, as bad as things look now, it might be the best thing that has happend to most of you!

Good Luck and start sending CV`s

The Dr.;)

CJ750
4th May 2008, 10:05
Has anyone seen todays RAPPORT. VB is front page news with his racing cars.
Maybe he will get what is due to him. Any further news on how the current situation affects the pilots and the various training bonds.:suspect:

VortexGen300
4th May 2008, 11:58
I had to check something on the Air France website a short while ago - they still seem to show that they use CE (Nationwide) when connecting in SA from CPT, DBN etc to JNB? :D

Would have thought that after a week they would have changed their booking system? :rolleyes:

Or are there Ghost CE flights flying? :confused:

Stirred?
VG300

FREIGHTMAN
4th May 2008, 16:44
Guys and Dolls

It's time to focus on the future. What's done is done. The loyal and dedicated staff at Nationwide need to look ahead. Most of the pilots should be OK - there's a shortage!

Cabin Crew and Ground Staff. Did you see the advert in the Sunday Times today. South Africa's larget national carrier is on a nationwide search for high fliers to join them now. Closing date 12th May. If you missed the add and want a copy, email [email protected] and they will send it to you.

Nationwide people have a good reputation in the job market so those of you needing jobs right now, focus on getting your CV up-to-date and competing for any jobs available right now.

Perhaps you will look back in time and see the good in all of this.

Juliet Sierra Papa
5th May 2008, 19:22
It's time to focus on the future. What's done is done. The loyal and dedicated staff at Nationwide need to look ahead. Most of the pilots should be OK - there's a shortage!

FREIGHTMAN I agree 100% and I'm sure that most flight and ground staff will be employed soon but lets not forget those that work even further behind the scenes, secretarys, accounts, marketing, PR etc etc. Good luck and all the best to these people.

RSQ
7th May 2008, 15:33
Funnily enough,just before NW went belly up, I heard someone at FALA refer to the good Mr. Bricknell as Vermin Bricknell!
Many a true word spoken in jest?
I am willing to bet that the aircraft are in another company's name, and so there will possibly be very little in the cupboard when the sheriff comes calling with warrant to attach whatever is available.
With regard to the crew, I understand from friends that the staff and crew were not treated very well, and that a certain amount of nepotism was evident, especially in the case of one particular "captain" who had zero jet time but got a job through the "Iron Lady".
However, be that as it may, with the current shortage of experienced flight crew, I suspect most will not find it difficult to find suitable employment, possibly even in a safer environment!
But what about the alley slaves and ground staff? - these are the poor buggers who will be hardest hit, - guys I really hope you find jobs somewhere to support your families! SAA, SAX could really use your 'can do' approach with regard to service!
But, leaving your staff jobless and grounded in cities around the country and the world without prior notice says volumes about the bosses....shame on you I say!

Romeo E.T.
7th May 2008, 17:28
Letter submitted by Nationwide employee to NEWS24.

Dear Editor,

All the articles that I have read so far relate to either customers not getting refunds or other airlines taking up surplus business. Has anyone given thought to the 1 188 Nationwide employees that are all of a sudden without work?

I personally feel angry about the way we as staff got treated by Nationwide airlines management for the following reasons:

1) Quite a few of us did not receive our salary for the month of April.

2) The only communication that I personally received from Nationwide Airlines management concerning the filing for voluntary liquidation was an e=mail concerning "How we must address the media", nobody gave us even a hint with what will happen to us as people.

3) If it's not enough that I have not been paid, Nationwide will not even issue me with a letter that I can present to my bank as some type of explanation as why I am not able to pay my dues.

This is not the first time I work for a company that shuts its doors but what Nationwide management did to us as employees is completely unacceptable, how can it be that without warning we just get told "take your personal belongings and go home, we will contact you if anything changes" .

Wednesday the 30th of April 2008 will be remembered by me as a very depressing day .I will never forget some of the grown men, guys that were usually full of energy, life and passion for their respective work, weeping like babies.

To all my colleagues, I just want to take this opportunity to wish you good luck and I pray we never work for such a terrible company again!

Jobless

fly nice
8th May 2008, 11:15
Is there a bona fida fund for staff hardest hit? I would like to donate, provided that it is a registered fund or managed by ALPA or similar.

fly nice
8th May 2008, 11:18
staff hardest hit
= new home owners, families and dependants, medical bills, prolonged unemployment, etc.