PDA

View Full Version : CF and CI

VRSCSE2
29th Apr 2008, 03:37
Some waypoints on the approach are titled CF and CI and OM.
Some waypoints on the navigation leg are titled D07C with a line thru the 0. Is there somewhere in the FCOM that these symbols or numbers and letters are described? I have not found it in FCOM 4 yet. What is the difference between a CF and CI?
Thanks
VRSCse

extreme P
29th Apr 2008, 05:17
In the Boeing world:

CF - Final appraoch course fix

C( ) - Final approach course fix
( )I - ILS

CI - Final approach fix for an ILS equipped runway.

Two letter prefix may change when more than one approach serves a runway to allow different identifiers for the same waypoint.

A Very Civil Pilot
29th Apr 2008, 08:08
The line through '0' (zero) is standard computer stuff to differentiate with 'O' (the letter).

The 'C' refers to 3 miles, i.e A=1, B=2 etc. Your example of D07C could mean 3 miles down the 070 radial from the previous waypoint beginning with D.

Wingswinger
29th Apr 2008, 16:59
Airbus:

D indicates a radial but it doesn't always tell you from where. On SIDS and STARS you often have to consult the relevant DEP or ARR chart to find out to which navaid it is referenced. AS VCP says, the final letter of the group indicates a range in NM taken from your MCDU keypad so E = 5 miles, J = 10 miles etc and so forth.

CI = centreline intercept for ILS approach

FF = Final approach fix

For non-precision approaches, CD, FD and MD are used.

Occasionally, approach and/or go-around coding may not use the same navaids as the approach plate leading to momentary thinks-bubbles.

I have seen an explanation but I can't recall where and I can't find it.

HTH,

WS

LLLK
1st May 2008, 07:24
The waypoint identifiers all come from the navigation database, if they have been charted with a 5 letter or 5 alphanumeric identifier then that is what should be displayed. If they are conventional fixes with no charted identifier then they should be identified according to the ARINC 424 rules, some of which are shown below:

Single Approach

FF = Final Approach Fix
AF = Initial Approach Fix
IF = Intermediate Approach Fix
CF = Final Approach Course Fix
MA = Missed Approach Point Fix
SD = Stepdown Fix
RW= Runway Fix
OM= Outer Marker Fix
IM = Inner Marker Fix
BM = Backcourse Marker Fix
TD = Touchdown Fix inboard of runway threshold
HC = Helipad Fix
EP = Final End Point

If the fix is defined by a bearing and distance:the first character of the fix identifier should be “D”, characters 2 through 4 should be the bearing/radial and the last character should be the distance defining the fix, expressed as the equivalent letter of the alphabet, i.e., A = 1nm, G = 7nm, o = 15nm.

There are a whole heap more rules for fixes on an arc, DME based SDFs, and fixes used for multiple approaches.:8

Checkboard
2nd May 2008, 11:58
Actually, CF stands for "Capture Fix" in the Boeing world.