PDA

View Full Version : Flying Vet's Flying visit to Dubya's ranch/a psychiatric unit

fernytickles
29th Apr 2008, 02:08
He just doesn't give up...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7371790.stm

'Flying Vet' held near Bush ranch

A south Wales man who calls himself the "Flying Vet" is being held in a psychiatric unit after landing near President George W Bush's Texan ranch.

Maurice Kirk, 62, from St Donats, Vale of Glamorgan, was arrested after he put his plane down on private land seven miles from the Crawford ranch.

His website claims he wanted to thank Mr Bush for his rescue by the US coastguard after ditching in the sea.

His wife said he was being held in handcuffs and he was "very rattled".

McLennan County chief deputy sheriff Randy Plemons said Mr Kirk would be questioned once he was released from hospital in state capital Austin.

He said Mr Kirk - who was struck off as a vet six years ago - was originally held for being drunk but was then taken straight to the psychiatric unit.

Mr Plemons said the pilot was talking to him about his flying experiences - including landing in shark-infested waters off the Dominican Republic in February - when he was arrested at about 5pm local time on Friday.

Mr Kirk began an attempt to fly solo around the world in 2001.

A former drinking friend of the late actor Oliver Reed, he was expelled by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2002 for "disgraceful" conduct after he chalked up a string of court appearances.

Two months ago the United States Coast Guard praised his decision to take an emergency radio beacon with him when flying past the Dominican Republic as he had to ditch in the Atlantic ocean 75 miles (120 km) out to sea.

The authorities in McLennan County said Mr Kirk's plane remained in the field and would be looked at by experts when the weather improved.

Mr Kirk's wife Kirstie made two postings on his website on Monday, and in the first said her husband was "required to have a psychiatric assessment before secret services (CIA or FBI) question him further".

On the second, she wrote: "He is [very] worried about the little aircraft as he heard bad weather last night and just hopes that it was tied down as he requested".

Referring to the no-fly zone around President Bush's ranch, she wrote: "I understand that he did not fly within the prohibited flight area, and so hope that this difficulty can be resolved quickly, not least because he is due home on 1 May and it's his turn to do the washing-up."

S'land
29th Apr 2008, 10:03
Flying Vet's Flying visit to Dubya's ranch/a psychiatric unit

And there was me thinking that at long last GWB was being visited by a shrink. One had visions of him being seen with the jacket with the extra long sleeves.

goatface
29th Apr 2008, 19:53
The man's a complete liability, (Kirk, not GWB on this occassion).
God knows what's between his ears, but there's enough of it to keep the American shrinks going for a millenium, hopefully they'll forget to let him out.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
29th Apr 2008, 20:08
Calling himself the Flying Vet must have confused the hell out of the Septics. I wonder how long they agonised over which wars he'd been in.

LJDRVR
30th Apr 2008, 13:18
Multiple accidents, going to visit a head of state unannounced. Could somebody explain why the CAA has not revoked this persons certificate?

Very embarrassing for the GA community.

I hope Mr. Kirk gets the professional help he so obviously needs.

Mixed Up
30th Apr 2008, 13:50
Apparently he had his licence revoked for many years by the CAA. However, legal challenges are another of his 'specialities'. He not only calls himself the "Flying Vet" be also promotes himself as a "Special Advisor to the CAA". I suppose they have learned a thing or two from their dealings with them.

He'll either end up never ever being released or he'll end up having lunch and a photograph with Bush in the White House. I can't work out which it will be.:confused:

Grob Driver
30th Apr 2008, 14:02
Goat face et ea... Lighten up a bit. I mean... Come on, don't you think "hopefully they'll forget to let him out." is a bit harsh?

They guy's a character... I think it's great that in todays grey society, we still have people like this bringing a little dash of color!

No harm done... Good luck Kirk!

The Flying Pram
30th Apr 2008, 14:22
Does this mean that his Cub "Liberty Girl" was recovered from the sea? And if so it must have been restored to flying condition pretty quickly.

A_Pommie
30th Apr 2008, 14:29
Grob I'd have to disagree, Maurice KIrk is a liability and an embaressment to the GA comunity in the UK.
All of publicity he generates is negative. How do think he looks to people like the Lady from Swindon who has problems with the jump 'plane?
So all in all I would say he has the potential to cause us all harm.

Slopey
30th Apr 2008, 15:16
was arrested after he put his plane down on private land seven miles from the Crawford ranch.

was originally held for being drunk but was then taken straight to the psychiatric unit.

I hope he'd had time to go get drunk somewhere after landing as opposed to being arrested as soon as he touched down!

Winco
30th Apr 2008, 15:18
Pommie,

I don't understand your post, what are you talking about 'jump 'plane' What on you on about??

As for Kirk, well, he is a bit of a rogue, but a likeable one nevertheless.
I hope he is fit and well, and our American cousins are treating him well, and looking after him. The guy is without doubt a character.
All the best Maurice.

The Winco

A_Pommie
30th Apr 2008, 15:45
Winco
There is a thread running about a lady who has complained to the daily mail about low flying aircraft at Redlands farm. I believe the major gripe is with the jump plane for the parachute school.
I feel that Kirks antics play right into the hands of antis as he shows scant regard for the rules of the air. So every he time he makes the press it is one more piece of "evidence" of how reckless pilots are.

NearlyStol
30th Apr 2008, 19:18
What has Maurice got to do with a jump plane ?
Get a life !

Maurice has the best 'seat of the pants' in the non TCAS non electronic, world of aviation

Leave the guy alone!

Brightens my ever more regulated day !

LJDRVR
30th Apr 2008, 20:27
I think we are missing the point. Mr. Kirk is niether "colourful" nor "eccentric." He is however, not in possession of sufficient good character and judgement to act as PIC.

I would also posit that he isn't entirely mentally healthy.

This individual should not be a polarizing agent. He is not in need of derision or support, he is need of help and protection. (From himself and others.)

Grob Driver
30th Apr 2008, 23:30
LJDRVR - I think he's colourfull!

And I think he's in far better "character and judgment" to act as PIC than many of the Sunday club flyers we see taking to the skies. Ok, he's had his fair share of accidents, especially with the Cub incident in Japan and the Dominican, but then he's not doing your average everyday club flying with it. An engine can stop anywhere... If it's over a field it doesn't get noticed... If it's over down town japan, then it's bound to make the news!

I'm not entirely sure what you want to protect him from?

lauchiemb
1st May 2008, 07:28
He sounds like a great guy and should be applauded - we need more like him. Since most of the GA community is middle aged/old and dull, it makes a nice change to see someone doing something original.

GA is far less under threat than most if those would make out from this forum. Thre is very little legislation effecting us on a daily basis, we are free to fly pretty much wherever and whenever we want. Yes, a few airfields may close but there has always been far more than is necessary in this modern day and age. Eventually I suspect more airfields will close due to their relative lack of use by asn increasingly ageing GA population.

If we run out of airfields to use, perhaps we should use the North Koreans underground/tunnel runway concept.

I have far more restrictions put on me for driving a two year old sports car that was designed, from scratch, four years ago. Speed cameras, conjestion charges, TAX discs, speed cops, drink driving rules etc etc. Think our selves lucky as we step into our thirty year old gas guzzling planes after a boozy night on a fly in.

A_Pommie
1st May 2008, 08:11
Lets just leave as I think he is fool and possibly in need of medical help. Whilst others think he is a hero and a great bloke.

Slopey
1st May 2008, 09:51
I have far more restrictions put on me for driving a two year old sports car that was designed, from scratch, four years ago. Speed cameras, conjestion charges, TAX discs, speed cops, drink driving rules etc etc. Think our selves lucky as we step into our thirty year old gas guzzling planes after a boozy night on a fly in.

I would hope that after a boozy night on a fly in, the first thing you do is head for the hotel to sleep it off, and only fly when sober!!! Drink flying rules are more stringent than drink driving rules aren't they?

Winco
1st May 2008, 12:05
LJDRVR

Sir,
Your comments are neither accurate or fair, and I would respectfully ask you to remove them. To accuse anyone of a mental health problem is unwarranted and liabelous, but to accuse a qualified pilot of such, beggars belief. I would suggest that it is you who has poor judgement and character.

How dare you make such disgraceful accusations about a fellow Pilot? If you really feel that way, there are proper channels to report it, but publicly accusing someone in the way you have done, on a forum such as this is shameful.

Mods - I hope you act accordingly with LJDRVR, it dosn't show PPrune in a good light to allow him to make such accusations.

The Winco

S-Works
1st May 2008, 12:39
I think he is great, as mad as a hatter but great. In our day and age of sterile H&S rules, the nanny state and having government try and think for us he is a real character. He may have an authority problem but at least he has the strength of his convictions and the spirit of adventure to fly around the world rather than sitting in club rooms and internet forums pontificating.
:ok::ok:

lauchiemb
1st May 2008, 15:39
roger that, bose

Zulu Mike
1st May 2008, 16:32
From a middle / old aged but hopefully not dull member of the GA community of some 25 years standing - I couldn't agree more Bose-X.

Whilst not advocating any reckless behaviour I find it such a pity that whenever anyone who remembers what freedom was sticks up two fingers to the establishment a veritable army of nanny state apologists tut tutting like old hens can be heard from 5000 feet.

How long will it be before no-fly zones are established around the houses of every ex and current prime minister and / or their cabinet collegues in the name of 'security considerations'.

Come back home Kirk & carry on as long as you are able you'd get my vote. :ok:

niknak
1st May 2008, 20:29
I wish him no personal ill will and I also hope he gets the treatment he needs, but he's a complete and utter liability when he gets anywhere near an aeroplane.
Not only has he had run in's with the CAA, but his vetinary skills have been closely questioned by the Vets regulatory body in the UK and the South Wales Police have had occasion to have a word in his ear numerous times.

Unlike ZM, Bose and Lauch', I don't think that there's anything "colourful" about him, he's a danger to himself and others & needs help, anyone who supports this derranged fool is in the same class as Kirk.

Justiciar
2nd May 2008, 09:26
This is no amiable maverick with a healthy disdain for authority. He is an individual who has:

Been struck off by his professional body for unprofessional conduct
Consistently refused to address any of the issues which lead to his striking off in the two or three applications he has made to be restored to the roll
Conviction for an unprovoked assault on a retired police officer who he happened to recognise (on a day when Kirk was an official vet at a county show)
convictions for assaulting a 17 year old girl (imprisoned but his appeal against sentence was allowed with I believe a fine being substituted)
a conviction for assaulting a licensed aircraft engineer who was refusing to hand over the papers for the aircraft until he was paid
several convictions for public order offences and assaulting police officers
Was imprisoned and his licence removed for being PIC of an aircrat whilst drunkAnyone wanting an insight into Kirk's mentality need only read the British Veterinary Association's records of the various proceedings taken against him or the three reports of proceedings before the Privy Council when Kirk appealed findings. He is a man who has a huge problem in treating with any respect anyone he comes into contact with with and his behaviour is worse still when anyone dares to disagree with him.

The Swinging Monkey
2nd May 2008, 12:53
Justiciar

Sounds to me like this guy has all the qualities needed to be the next Chief of the Air Staff. Move over Torpey

TSM

Justiciar
2nd May 2008, 15:05
He has the qualities to be a defence minister, though he is a bit over qualified. I would think EU Commissioner would be more appropriate. They have a good record of employing crooks and never-has-beens over in Brussles.

Squeegee Longtail
2nd May 2008, 21:24
...better than being at home doing the washing up

scooter boy
4th May 2008, 11:54
"he isn't entirely mentally healthy"
what masterful understatement!!:D

It's all very well being a legendary maverick adventurer until you kill someone (other than yourself) either on the ground or in the air. How this has not happened up to this point is something of a miracle.

Whilst I applaud the spirit of unregulated freedom that some posters get from Dr Kirk's adventures, I think Dr Kirk's tendencies err a convincing distance into lunacy.

SB

betterfromabove
5th May 2008, 13:09
Is this the kind of publicity UK GA needs?!? This is anti-airmanship.

Not exactly Polly Vacher or the round-the-world heli guys is he??

Where the hell does he get his money ?!?

modelman
5th May 2008, 21:18
Zulu Mike said:

How long will it be before no-fly zones are established around the houses of every ex and current prime minister and / or their cabinet collegues in the name of 'security considerations'.

Yep,maybe Kirk and his ilk might nudge us all a little closer to this.
I've always rather liked individualists and eccentrics as they can be quite amusing ( effing Ffulford for example) but I am struggling to find any humour here.

MM
( a nanny state,apologist tut tutting old hen:rolleyes:)

coldair
8th Jul 2009, 14:52
It seems that our Mr Kirk is in trouble again;

In Jail Over WW1 Machine Gun - Kirk's Blog (http://kirkflyingvet.com/blogs/kirks_blog/archive/2009/07/02/in-jail-over-ww1-machine-gun.aspx)

In Jail Over WW1 Machine Gun

Maurice Kirk wishes you to know that he is being held on remand in Cardiff Prison.
He was arrested on Monday 22 June and taken to Port Talbot Police Station. He was charged on Tuesday late evening and appeared before magistrates on Wednesday. The magistrates decided to bail him but on CPS appeal he was sent to Cardiff prison and appeared before a judge on Thurs am. He was remanded until his prelim hearing on 6 July.
He is charged with possession of a firearm and offering it for sale. The firearm in question was a decommissioned WW1 machine gun (no trigger, holes drilled into it) and made up of salvaged parts from other armaments for the sole purpose of looking good on the front of a replica DH2 aircraft.
He wishes it to be known that his arrest and search of the family home occurred after the weekend following the day he was required to exchange documents with the solicitors defending South Wales Police in his case against them for harassment. He failed to serve documents on 19th June as required by court order as the solicitors would not accept them.
Maurice has since been unable to telephone until he received money by postal order (ie after 6 days in prison). He has been visited and has said that he has no access to legal books etc.
He has a case by Jury in two months. We'll keep you posted
............................................................ ...........

J.A.F.O.
9th Jul 2009, 13:50
He certainly is a very special, unique individual.

At least his autobiography wouldn't be dull and when St Peter asks him what he's done with his life he'd better pull up a chair.

cats_five
9th Jul 2009, 15:23
St Peter might simply pull the 'down' lever...

MLS-12D
9th Jul 2009, 22:46
Calling himself the Flying Vet must have confused the hell out of the Septics. I wonder how long they agonised over which wars he'd been in.See "Ali G Learns About Vietnam Vets" ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkdQN8Pp7_w). :E

Say again s l o w l y
10th Jul 2009, 12:42
Fixed for you

vkdQN8Pp7_w

Sam Rutherford
7th Oct 2015, 14:53
Maurice is giving a talk about Dubya and other adventures tomorrow, 8pm, at the Cardiff Aero Club café.

Recommended! :)

NearlyStol
7th Oct 2015, 18:54
Hope someone posts a copy on Youtube. Still looking forward to his
threatened book.
Enjoy !
:D:D:D:ok::ok::ok:

Sam Rutherford
8th Oct 2015, 16:56
Anybody here going to the talk?