PDA

View Full Version : Can a European get the Canadian ME IR in 4 weeks?

Capt. Spock
28th Apr 2008, 14:50
Hello,

I have been looking into Canadian ME IR courses. I'm a European PPL holder with 100tt and 50 x-country, 50% of the ATPLs complete, should it matter.

I've got 4 weeks reserved for pilot training in next month so doing the Canadian ME IR rating would sound very appealing.

Many school advertise their courses with 20 on a twin and 20 on a flight training device and say it can be done in less than a month. Hours seem quite low as most people I know who have done their IFR rating on a single engine a/c in the US have gone past the 40h mark.

Is it common for students to pass with just 20h on a twin, without previous twin experience? How extensive is the the Canadian IFR theory and would the ME IR be doable in 4 weeks for a person who has never flown in Canada before?

Thank you for all the leads. :ok:

Jorge46
28th Apr 2008, 17:21
Hi Spock!

Some good information here if you care to check it out.

Good luck!

http://www.perimeter.ca/inc_pdf/flight_school.pdf

http://www.perimeter.ca/?did=flightschool

Canadapilot
28th Apr 2008, 20:52
4 weeks? maybe with perfect weather and no planes going tech. You can certainly do the course with less than 20 in the twin...i did 14hrs twin, 6 single to save cost, and 20 hours in a simple sim ($80 bucks an hour with instructor-don't waste money on the fancy ones!). You need the reasonable weather for the Multi Rating which may hold things up, and depending on where you train expect some delays with not getting IFR slots you need for your flight. I did mine in 40.1 hours, in bang on 2 months. Cost $9k.

planett
29th Apr 2008, 00:50
Perimeter definitely has the ability to train you in about 4 weeks. With several dedicated aircraft, sims, known ice and strike finder capability, almost no weather will prevent training flights, only rides. Maintenance is a strong point too.

Your job is to come well studied and ready to work, book yourself twice a day if possible, it helps build extra time flexibility for the ever present unforseen delays.

FL470
29th Apr 2008, 05:55
I agree with planet:

Perimeter is your best bet! I have done my multi IFR in 3.5 weeks with them. Excellent school with own maintenance! BUT: They want you to arrive with the written exams already done!!!

First you have to convert your PPL into a Canadien one. You just have to write the PSTAR exam and take a ride with an instructor (not examiner). Questions and answers are well known to every flight school.

Go for it!

Capt. Spock
22nd May 2008, 18:47
Perimeter was fully booked - a good sign of a good school I suppose - for this month so I ended up going to the US to do more hour building.

Thank you for your advice everyone!

Glorified Donkey
22nd May 2008, 23:51
Come to Winnipeg. As someone mentioned Perimeter flight school or Harv's Air specialize in multi-IFR ratings. I know someone that got their entire initial done in 2 weeks no lie! They are setup for foreign students and accomodations are nearby.