PDA

View Full Version : NCL Ground Handling

transwede
28th Apr 2008, 12:49
With the summer fast approaching and Servisair recently gaining the contract for handling TCX, does anyone know if or think that there is a need for a 3rd handling agent at NCL? Do airports with similar passenger throughput have more than 2?

There was a rumour circulating a while back that a 3rd company (Menzies/Aviance?) was to be interested in establishing a base at NCL, but nothing seems to have occurred, though the rumour is still a frequent one! On the other hand could an airline like T3 or EZY go self handling as they do at other stations, particularly T3 at NCL considering their growth recently?

This is by no means a bashing at Servis or Swiss :)

groundhand
28th Apr 2008, 15:38
Transwede,

The rumour was probably around when the EZY contract was up for renegotiating last year. When Servisair renewed it, it cooled the rumour. It'll start again in a couple of years.

As for a third agent.

No, total volume not high enough.

No, not until the airport infrastructure is improved.
An additional agent would add an additional (approx.) 20 % GSE to the airport; there is insufficient space for 2 agents in the undercroft, 3 would make life very difficult for all.

No, type of traffic does not offer much in terms of high yield handling.

No, the lack of accommodation both landside and airside for a 3rd compnay to have management and operational offices. (+ ramp parking for GSE)

As far as I am aware EZY do not handle themselves anywhere, and that means anywhere at all, not even LTN. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jet2.com have gone self handling at LBA and will not be repeating that excercise for a while, if ever.

T3 have done it elsewhere, if they are getting good handling at NCL at a sensible rate they may not want to take the risk. Don't forget if you are self handling and have to reduce your programme you still have the costs (either direct or redundancy) of the ground operations.

This is probably not the time to take that type of risk with fuel prices going up, the credit crunch hurting the potential passengers etc.

One area that might be hived off is the coaching and disabled handling. This could go to an independent operator as the airport consistently fail to deliver any sensible level of service.

GH