PDA

View Full Version : What was your solo song?

Polorutz
28th Apr 2008, 12:36
Hello private flyers, seeing how many of my fellow pilots have the same story of having sung or hummed a tune while on their first solo whenever the workload and radio was low... To those of you who did sing or hum something... what was it?? hehe

I hummed ride of the valkryes as I was taking off (Spelling???) and sang a bit of baby got back on the downwind leg hehehehee.

poss
28th Apr 2008, 13:12
I was singing Iron Maiden - Flight of Icarus... I used to sing quite often when I was going through my first set of solos but nowadays don't as much.

tegwin
28th Apr 2008, 13:20
Singing?.....I think I was too busy swearing and trying to avoid making a mess of the seats!

russellmounce
28th Apr 2008, 13:22
I remember singing oh what a night on the downwind leg of my 1st solo.

Rans Flyer
28th Apr 2008, 13:22
I didn't sing anything, but my backside was making some noises :O

Rans (now Jabiru Flyer).
www.FlightForLife.co.uk

BartV
28th Apr 2008, 13:25
The only song i heard while i was on first solo was in my pants...:bored:

S-Works
28th Apr 2008, 13:29
I could not hear anything over the screams.

achet
28th Apr 2008, 13:53
I believe i can fly . . .

Humaround
28th Apr 2008, 13:55
Don't remember what I was singing during my first solo circuit - it didn't really last long enough, but I do remember the 5-hour duration flight for my Silver C Gliding award.

You have to imagine flying solo for 5 hours, but with no engine.

Towards the end I was definitely singing the Nightmare Song from Iolanthe...

airborne_artist
28th Apr 2008, 13:56
Something featuring a Miles Davis trumpet number :E

TractorBoy
28th Apr 2008, 13:58
Didn't sing a song, but for some reason the Slim Pickens bomb rodeo scene from Dr Strangelove came to mind when I was on final - "Yeeehaaaa !!!!!"

Lister Noble
28th Apr 2008, 14:14
Didn't sing anything,too busy making sure I
didn't cock it up!
But remember thinking,"I can't believe I'm doing this"
And I still think that everytime I fly,the amazement and joy does not go away.
Lister:):ok:

effortless
28th Apr 2008, 15:36
I still sing it during dodgy cross wind aproaches: To the tune of "Robin Hood"- Feckinell, feckinell feckinfeckinell.

DBisDogOne
28th Apr 2008, 16:59
To take my mind off the thought of immiment death, I think it was "There aien't 'alf been some clever bastards" by the late great Ian Dury.

flybymike
28th Apr 2008, 17:02
The Funeral March........:uhoh:

Ayrton
28th Apr 2008, 17:05
singing?? I was screaming and screaming :E:E I was so happy!

Cricket23
28th Apr 2008, 19:41
'Fly me to the moon'.

Still hum it at times

C23

shortstripper
28th Apr 2008, 20:52
I didn't sing anything on my first solo, but remember an early glider solo where I was laughed at when I landed :rolleyes: Apparently, my version of "Lilly the pink" was well broadcast to the whole of Dover that day!

SS

1d2d3d4d
28th Apr 2008, 20:56
Me sing:uhoh: I can't hold a tune in a bucket using both hands.

I can remember the amazement that this Robin HR200 could take off, fly a perfect (well almost) circuit and land safely with little old me as its only passenger. Honestly I just sat there.:)

StudentNE
28th Apr 2008, 21:05
Ha ha - No singing for me (despite being a musician!), all pretty busy on takeoff and climbing out, but as soon as I got to 1000, and was turning downwind I realised I was really doing this I remember just cheering! Wooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo! followed by some pretty blue language and more cheering before downwind checks. Awesome.

C152_driver
28th Apr 2008, 21:19
I still say the hardest thing about my solo was remembering to stop swearing before pressing the transmit button, and not to start again until I'd let go of it. " :mad::mad::mad::mad:Golf Victor Juliet Downwind:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: "

IFMU
29th Apr 2008, 01:09
I didn't sing. For a while I was afraid to turn around and look at the empy seat in the back of the PA12. Finally I did and the result was hysterics. I couldn't stop laughing until I turned base. I don't know why, must have been nerves.

-- IFMU

snapper1
29th Apr 2008, 10:32
Humaround,

Ah, the five hour solo for gliding's Silver C. Usually described as 'more of an excercise in bladder control' than a flying test. Although I did mine at less than 1,800ft for the whole flight. It was bl**dy hard work. I think I got through quite an extensive medley of songs.

Do you still fly gliders or do you just let the donkey do the work now?

snapper41
29th Apr 2008, 12:14
My song (through gritted teeth of panic) was 'Whispering Grass' by the Inkspots (or Don Estelle & Windsor Davies, if you prefer). Why? Because it was the song that Moggie flew under the bridge to in 'Piece of Cake' (actually, it was Ray Hanna, but what the heck).

whiskylima
29th Apr 2008, 12:18
:)I feeeel goooood! James Brown:)

Sam Rutherford
29th Apr 2008, 12:19
road to nowhere...?!

pbrookes
29th Apr 2008, 12:21
It has to be "Take my breath away!" from Top Gun - didn't have the F14 nor the attractive instructor!:O

Prop meets tarmac
19th May 2008, 16:24
Sing a song, I wish. Plenty of swearing due to change of run way and the need for a go around:mad:. Even got a sorry off the tower. Still really enjoyed it just a shame i did not get an orbit or an opposite turn onto base for extra fun.

chrisbl
19th May 2008, 18:45
Bachman Turner Overdrive - "You aint seen nothing yet" on landing.

Oldpilot55
19th May 2008, 19:33
I remember biting my tongue while chewing gum coming into land at Winterhaven after I passed my test at Kissimmee. I dont chew and fly anymore.

bigfoot01
19th May 2008, 19:57
I whistled Strangers in the Night....

slam525i
19th May 2008, 21:38
It was the mid 90's. I'm too embarrassed to admit it. Let's just say thank god no one was there to witness it. If the mic switch had stuck or something, I would have had to kill myself from shame.

The best memory though, was how well the little C152 climbed without the extra weight!

A10Warthog
19th May 2008, 21:56
Very funny thread!
I don't think I sang anything during my first solo, only thinking, what the heck I've gotten myself into..
But as the confidence grew, the singing started, and I must admit I hummed to the tune of, "Highway to the dangerzone".

Now adays I only have grumpy captain, and no singing! hehe!

Rugbyears
19th May 2008, 22:10
I found the First song to pass my lips was Help, this was swiftly followed by going underground and if I recall correctly, I finished off with knocking on Heavens Door...!

You see, ever the optimist…!!;):ok:

Tone
19th May 2008, 22:33
No thoughts about a song, ended up crying the whole way round. Instructor must have thought I would bottle my first solo so he took me all the way to the end of the runway and then he got out and told me to do a single circuit. Must have been at about 100 feet when the tower called the fire truck, the message was, “Tell me I’m mistaken or is some t*at walking down the middle of 27?” Still crying on final and had to go around.

digital.poet
19th May 2008, 23:23
No singing for me either. I actually thought I would after reading all the stories of other people's solo songs, but when I am nervous I talk to myself rather than sing, and I did plenty of that...

One thing I will always remember is finding myself 250 feet above circuit height as I began the downwind leg. I had reached 1000 during the turn onto downwind and was so busy trying to not :mad: it up, I :mad:ed it up :D

Quick look at the altimeter, and a sudden rush of panic, no big deal of course, but *something* had gone wrong and it bothered me.

I calmed myself with the following words (verbatim)..

"No no! Don't :mad: yourself, you *know* how to handle this!".

Snapped me to my senses, I reduced the power a little and glided back down to 1000.

Was a great experience, but did breathe a heavy sigh of relief to be back on the ground. Had put so much pressure on myself, felt great to have done it.

Kerosine
20th May 2008, 13:10
Mine was a little known unreleased song ;)

"f:mad:kin hell I'm flyin a plane, flying a plane... this is so cooool... First solo yeah!" etc, sung to some random melody through a huge grin (inbetween radio calls of course!)

Pudnucker
20th May 2008, 17:29
Barbie Girl..........

madgav
21st May 2008, 10:00
Barbie Girl..........:):):)
Sorry :ouch:

No song here either, remember it feeling like just another circuit until the first time I looked at the empty seat, then it was Oh cr:mad:p oh cr:mad:p oh cr:mad:p, followed swiftly by some timely prayer.....

Gav.

Ground Bound
21st May 2008, 15:50
Golden Brown by the Stranglers; hated the song but it happenend to be in the charts at the time.

proctor
21st May 2008, 17:28
I was waaaaay to busy swearing to think about singing. I'd saved up all the muted profanities that had been building up since my first lesson and unleashed them in one almighty blasphemous torrent as I rose into the air. Really enhanced the experience, too...wish I had a recording.

Brighton Pilot
17th Jun 2008, 19:56
My first solo was rather rushed in that the instructor got out and told me not to break the plane. I Pictured the Tom and Jerry cartoon where Tom had strapped wings on and was after the bird in the bird house at the top of a very tall pole. I was humming the tune as well. I actually had a bit of look out of the window and enjoy the view time on the downwind leg why Tom and Jerry came to mind I dont know.

rauxaman
17th Jun 2008, 20:31
I just uttered a pilot's prayer...

Oh God,
Who ar't in heaven,
Don't let me f**k up

... come to think of it I say that every day when the alarm clock goes off!:O

Will Hung
17th Jun 2008, 20:41
A little known song called "Right, you've got this f****r up, now you've got to get it down"

prettygrumman
18th Jun 2008, 04:57
Remember the :yuk::yuk: feeling when the instructor got out of the PA28 and
my blood pressure went to VNE. When airborne all I could think of was
"remember stall speed increases in the turn"

cockney steve
19th Jun 2008, 09:39
I heard of someone singing "I fly through the air with the greatest of ease.....etc," and a medley of other "appropriate" tunes.

Unfortunately (for him) he'd locked/jammed the PTT and entertained the entire audience and the tower.

gingernut
19th Jun 2008, 15:00
Der der de der, de de der, derder der derr, der der der der de.

(Theme to the A team):ok:

gingernut
19th Jun 2008, 19:06
And it always stayed with me....retracting the flaps over the high level bridge, building up a bit of speed, slapping the passenger on the thigh, looking them in the eye, and saying.....

"I love it when a plan comes together:)"

Monkeeeey
23rd Jun 2008, 21:43
shouldn't that have been.....

"And it always stayed with me....retracting the flaps over the high level bridge, building up a bit of speed, slapping the passenger on the thigh, looking them in the eye, and saying....."

I love it when the plane stays together !!!! :}:}

:-)

kms901
24th Jun 2008, 14:46
Two actually, first Freebird "I'm as free as bird now, and this bird you cannot change"

And then a bit of Janis Joplin "O, Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz",followed by a gulp and "Gulf Lima Fox is late downwind for......"

Actually, some years later on my first glider solo off aerotow, I distinctly remeber the Beastie Boys "Fight for the right... to Party"

charliejulietthotel
24th Jun 2008, 23:43
I can't remember my first solo song, remember the first solo shakes after it though! But I definitely remember on my cpl cross country qualifier under a flight following service from Albuquerque Center, singing "Is this the way to Albuquerque?!" It wasn't, I was heading to Yuma, but Yuma didn't quite have the same ring to it as Albuquerque! Peter Kay, watch out :}!

Stoey
25th Jun 2008, 04:09
Theme song from Airwolf :}
followed by Nice little penguins: i am flying.

cats_five
25th Jun 2008, 09:13
I simply muttered "do a nice landing, do a nice landing"....

TommyGun
25th Jun 2008, 09:44
This is probably the best thread on PPRuNe!

I have to admit I sang 'Danger Zone' by Kenny Loggins...another Top Gun hit!! (In between the swearing, of course).

machel
25th Jun 2008, 15:05
No singing for me either. Just "Wow, I can't believe this climb rate" quickly followed by "Yikes! It's all down to me now" and then lots of talking to myself telling myself that of course I could do this, couldn't I? :ok:

Great thread. Very light-hearted.:ok::ok: