PDA

View Full Version : Great Wall Airlines

Asianlonghaul
28th Apr 2008, 08:57
Can any one out there tell us what it is like flying for Great Wall Airlines as a Captain based in Shanghai. I am especially interested in the routes, roster and if the home leave 6 to 10 days a month really happens? Any other gen would be great?
Many thanks

expatdriver
1st May 2008, 11:00
you can read here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315722

routes:
pvg-ams-pvg
pvg-ams-man-dxb-pvg

soon:
pvg-icn-sea-ord-icn-pvg

all night stops in either ams, dxb or sea

6-10 days can and does happen.

with new svp, things are looking better. pilots are more happy and more optimistic.

living in shanghai is not bad if you can speak chinese. stay in the same neighbourhood as the other pilots. in an expat community, and you can survive.

if you need to send money home, there is government limit of RMB20,000 per person that you can bring out with you (as a passenger) better research on how to send money to your family early. either by bank transfer or whatever you can think of. it can be frustrating.

food, a little cheaper than singapore. but salty and oily.

pollution, better than hkg.

public transport, taxi almost everywhere. but disapears when raining.

as a capt, the pilot group is small in number. people know each other. have a good cammaraderie. no pulling of ranks in flight or anywhere. but there are some moody old capts, can't avoid it. generally, it is a happy group. the "trouble makers" are no more.

hope this helps

happy flying

Ops.specs
3rd May 2008, 07:53
Your is not a balanced opinion. Be truthful and do not paint a rosy picture. Do not con with half truths like "happy group, good comaradeship, trouble makers gone, etc. It makes people like us who are still here sick in the gut.

Nevertheless, newcomers are most welcome. You may like it here. If not, do not complain in future.

Genghis2
3rd May 2008, 11:59
AsianLonghaul,

This thread gives a detailed description.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315722

One of the many guys that left is a strong politician. The rest of the independents, lickers and troublemakers, are still hiding behind the grasses, continuing to paint a distorted picture to the new man in the block to hide their evil. It is a mad house.

There is zero trust, as everyone is ever-ready to stab you in the back.

We need people, please join Greatwall. Always be ready, I will stab you from behind.

Warning : Pls do not forget to bring sulphur to sprinkle round yr territory.

Gengi

maxin
4th May 2008, 20:22
Ops specs and genghis2,

Why are the two of you still with the company if it is that bad?

m

Ops.specs
4th May 2008, 23:24
Maxin

Thanks for your concern and hope it is genuine.

Let me tell you that recent increase of housing and travel allowances and pay increment were not extended to a few guys who resigned. Don't you think it is a blattant violation of contract. Declared bonus received in July would be forfeited if one leaves now.

One will not divulge one's plans whether to stay or not in fear of being stung by the snakes. Like the FO who resigned in good faith only to find himself bitten badly. The skipper who went on home leave and never returned appears to be the wise one. We don't have a pilots' union!!

I shall be going back to Lion City with a renewed admiration of ALPA-S for its role in looking after the welfare of its members. I begin to embrace on union activities and beliefs that I once took for granted.

I feel sorry for the genuinely good and honest folks here who left their former companies to pursue a vision that turned out to be a mirage. I will not miss this place.

upwind
5th May 2008, 12:05
Thank You Expat Driver,

Me Thinks You Have Provided A Fairly Objective Picture. Certainly Worth A Look At.

Cheers.

tfo
16th May 2008, 08:44
Hi folks,

anybody know about dead-heading? Nothing mentioned in the proposed contract...? Does it and will it happen with the new sea route? 4-men-crew? or 3-men?

Also 13th month salary.

4.6% salary increase a year?

1.3 mio RMB also for rated and type experienced guys when leaving?

Thanks guys.

Urgent
tfo

upwind
16th May 2008, 11:25
expatdriver,

kindly provide answers.

also, any talk of bonuses?

thks in advance.

Jonnyson
25th May 2008, 06:42
Can any of you guys already in GWA tell me what the 1 day interview in Singapore consists of in terms of questions, etc. Also, what the sim test profile format is like and how critical the instructors are.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

expatdriver
25th May 2008, 12:19
did not know that there are more questions. been flying, kinda busy.

will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

- dead head: there is a British and a Spanish getting on the flights to AMS. not sure if it is FOC. must be in their contract that they can. different contract for every pilot

- 13th month: there is WITH tax.

- 4.6% increase a year: it is not automatic.

- 1.3mio: not sure about the figure, but it only applies if you go to other Chinese airline. go to another country and they can not impose this on you.

- bonuses: it is anyones guess. but i think it will be one month this year.

there is new management in office. things are getting better. but not sure if the old one is still sticking around and pulling strings and trying to run the office. if you read from the other thread, he is influential.

let us see what the others will say. might accuse me again of being biased.

expatdriver
25th May 2008, 12:31
if you are not happy with GWL, why bother sticking around? i am sure you are qualified pilots before joining GWL. is it because you have a medical case? flying disabilities perhaps why you can not move on to other ailrines? age limit? we don't know. every body got their own reasons to join or not GWL. but why stick around if you are sick in the gut?

"do not complain in the future" what do you think you are doing?

strong politician or a childish act. he recruits his friends only to leave them hanging when he did not get what he wanted. a management post and his own free way to run the office.

but then again, i am not giving a balanced opinion.

one word of advise to those interested. better get things in writing before resigning from your present job. they have a tendency of twisting your arm and making you sign a lousy contract. which does not include what was told or offered to you during recruitment. well, that was what they used to do. do not know if they still practice this.

tfo
7th Jun 2008, 06:00
thanks expatdriver

by dead-head, I actually meant positioning. especially after flight duty. In the contract they send me, there is no mention of positioning. In theory they can position you half way around the world after duty, could they not? In my first 744 job we used to do quite a bit of positioning. waste of time.
Another B744 carrier in China has positioning on contractual pay...

has SEA started at all? how is the roster? how many trips a month in average? anyone willing to list their roster roughly...

I got info from a recruitment company in china about the new upgrade ruling for >200t. It seems there is conflicting info. i can post it if anyone interested.

How much tax will I typically pay as FO?

Thanks guys.
tfo

expatdriver
17th Jun 2008, 00:18
they do practice deadhead from flight duty, but if ever you do this, you will get paid 100%.

SEA run is on, 7-9days pattern.

don't know about the upgrade. can you PM it to me? i'm curious about this

tax is about 20-25% for FO's

7th Sep 2008, 19:54
I have an interview with Great Wall Airlines, can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thank You

BDD
26th Oct 2008, 14:19
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the interview
after you have been short listed?

ken744
10th Nov 2008, 05:15
It has been a while since anyone wrote about greatwall. Just wandering How's the working condition now, especially since the new management came in? Do they still practise the change of contract terms as promised during roadshows? How much does a FO take home now?

Fly4Fun
10th Oct 2010, 12:38
Hi guys

Was looking at Great Wall website and looks like they are still recruiting. Do you know if Great Wall pays the taxes on salary? otherwise 40% to 45% from your pocket donīt make this job attractive.

Happy landings :ok: