PDA

View Full Version : Oxford or Flight Training Europe?

time4parties
28th Apr 2008, 07:34
I am currently in the final process of choosing which college I will go to. Anyone have any input into which the airlines prefer, and which provides a better training base?
Cheers:O

nick14
28th Apr 2008, 18:16
no idea as to who the airlines prefer. As far as i am aware there is none, although FTE is now more expensive with the exchange rate being so poor for them.

btw im an OAA student, any q's pm me.

Both good schools, both with problems as with everything in aviation.

Nick

bajadj
28th Apr 2008, 18:21
I agree with Nick. I'm also at oaa and it's ok. Things seem to work pretty well although i do think there's now far too many students for the resources they have. One groundschool instructor goes sick and the entire timetable collapses on an almost daily basis. The full motion sims are look very impressive, the clapped out senecas don't.

mini-jumbo
28th Apr 2008, 18:27
the clapped out senecas don't.

They might not look all that good, but they work a lot better than the ones in Arizona.

There are pros and cons to all FTO's, if you haven't already done so, go and visit them and talk to current students and instructors.

Adios
28th Apr 2008, 21:06
Seneca engines work better than the Diesels in the Twinstars and now that Thielert's gone to the wall, who knows what will happen to them.

Once you start at either, time 4 parties will be over for a while though!

Jump-Seat64
28th Apr 2008, 21:06
The oxford fleet of Seneca's is indeed old but are very well maintained and from my experience rarely encounted problems.

I can't offer much help with FTE but know that sucessful students have the same prospects as those from Oxford. Again I don't know what FTE use for MCC/JOC but the 737-400's at Oxford are only FNPT 2's and not full 737 flight simulators, its makes no real difference as the course is only intended to teach CRM.

Up to the point I graduated problems still arose over the flight training in Goodyear, this was mainly a standardisation problem amongst the instructors. I found the IR training back in Oxford was top class!!

I've always been keen to recommend Oxford from my personal experience

Adios
28th Apr 2008, 21:35
FTE used to have an HS-125 sim, but I've heard of an upgrade plan. Not sure if they've done it. OAA uses 737-400 FNPTIIs. Some people slag them for this, but given the cost of a Type Rating sim (about 5X higher), it would be daft to use them for MCC courses.

Martyn hobbs
28th Apr 2008, 21:50
Just to ad, the latest copy of Flight International said that FTE have just aquired a 737ng sim!

Martyn.

Adios
29th Apr 2008, 07:56
A 737 was the upgrade rumour I was referring to. Guess it's not a rumour then. I wonder though, do they use it for their fATPL students or just for the BA SSP JOC courses?

chileconcarne27
29th Apr 2008, 09:01
Hi,

I've visited both FTE and Oxford in my quest for an FTO and i've gone with FTE for a number of reasons which may or may not help with your decision making:

14 months in the sun
14 months in the sun
14 months in the sun

When i visited OAT i felt like it was bit of a conveyor belt and that they were pushing students out at the end and just took the money. I never once had that thought while visiting FTE. Also, with FTE, all the costs are upfront, nothing hidden, unlike OAT's who price is XYZ but that doesn't include accommodation, food, exams etc etc.

I would definitely recommend going to see both, you'll get much more of a feel about the place - it's a completely personal choice and you should choose what's best for you.

Chile

-LoneWolf-
29th Apr 2008, 11:07
Martyn - Mary Jo told us that when they were showing us round the simulator block, remember? I'm glad it's a concrete plan. Did FI indicate when it was going to be installed?

I have chosen Flight Training Europe. A number of people have recommended it to me including a family member who is there now. On the occasions I have been out there to visit I could really envisage myself living out there for 14 months. The facilities are excellent, the instructors and staff seem highly professional and above all the students there appear to be really happy. I've always wanted to live in a foreign country and learn a new language so going to FTE will be like killing two birds with one stone. Personally FTE is right for me. However, I'm not saying it would be right for you. This is just my opinion. Visit them both and go with your instincts.