PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities for a big prop driver?

HiPlnsDrftr
28th Apr 2008, 06:33
Alright buckeroos, maybe someone out there can throw me a bone. I'm currently a Fokker 27 captain, which makes me something of an oddity right off the bat. I have plenty of experience in it, as well as similar types, but not the Airbus/Boeing variety. So Cathay, or anything similar is outta the question right now. Not only that, but I'm pushing 40 yo, and I'm a 'damn Yankee' too. All tickets are FAA (ICAO).

Would like to find a place to hang my sombrero, possibly long term, and earn a bit of non (US) taxed $$. I realize this isn't a job recruitment site per se- but perhaps some good chap knows of a particular 'expat-friendly' company out there who would consider an intrepid gringo such as myself. I've lived/worked overseas before, so I know the drill more or less.

Willing to relocate to most any country with some semblance of an infrastructure- need not be too sophisticated, though decent internet would be good. Am curious about Indonesia- possibly Merpati or Trigana airlines, but know virtually nothing about them.

Perhaps some of the privately held companies in China would be worth a shot. I could just send out a mass of CVs, but I'd like to narrow down the list a little and consider the more realistic options.

Thanks in advance. I'll return the favor if anyone has similar Qs regarding the US.

jumpdrive
28th Apr 2008, 13:37
try dash 8 in japan > ANet
they hire with no exp on type
and pay is not bad $9,000 (incl. hosuing & commuting)
got to parcaviation or hawaiiaviation.com
good luck

gadpilot
3rd May 2008, 03:02
Drop a line to these [email protected]. looking for dash 8 pilots in africa. Try Denim Air as well. Spain and Nigeria contract crews for dash 8.

masalama
3rd May 2008, 08:35
Falcon Express cargo airlines(FECA) in dubai have a F-27 , dunno if they're hiring right now though , of course dubai's the middle east, so not sure if u wanna work there...try feca.bz for further details...

pablo2973
5th May 2008, 08:27
I´m sorry to say this but ,you have no chances in Europe whatsoever with FAA licences ,you have to convert like everyone else ,me for example CPL,CFI,CFII ,MEI all FAA no Good, they want JAR CPL.

Going down
6th May 2008, 18:56
Hi,

It is possible to get a JAR-validation on your current licenses. However, I believe this is only possible on type-ratings you hold on your FAA license (correct me if I am wrong,...anybody). So you would need to find a job on a type which you have on your license.

For working in Europe you would need a work permit, which might be hard to get. Depending on the country of employment, it could be from having a grandfather that holds the passport to sponsorship from your employer. Plenty to research I would say.

Goodluck,

G.D.

HiPlnsDrftr
9th May 2008, 15:37
Thanks dudes/bloakes/chaps for all the replies to my post thus far. Yes Masalama, I really like the UAE, but I know it's not cheap living. I wonder if Falcon offers any housing or other benefits in addition to their roughly $58,000 per year USD salary. If not, I'd be better off in the US.

Regarding Europe, I think the magic number is 1500 PIC and type rated in that particular aircraft. This allows for validation of FAA certificates. Otherwise, it's the 14 written exams, checkrides, ect.- like starting over again. All the more reason I'm looking at Asia, Mideast, parts of Africa, ect.

Thanks.

(Obama '08)