PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 337 - Tips required

cavok_italy
27th Apr 2008, 21:05
Hi all. I've the chance to operate on a Cessna 337. Many people say it's pretty different from a regular SE, but it's neither a ME. I fly regoularly ME and SE, but never flew a center thrust. May somebody who flies C 337, give me some tips please?
thanks a lot

wileydog3
27th Apr 2008, 21:17
Nothing special to the 337.. I have only a few hours in the 337 but over 700 in the 0-2A which we flew quite a bit heavier than the civilian version.

Anyway, start the rear engine first to make sure you don't forget to start it. Single engine performance is less than stellar.

As I remember, the hyd pump for the gear is on the front engine so if you lose the front engine on takeoff DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RAISE THE GEAR. The gear doors open down and form a cup which can easily cost you 5-7kts QUICKLY so make sure which engine has failed before grabbing knobs (a good rule regardless of the airplane).

Here is a fairly good review..
http://www.superskyrocket.com/pages/History/history_2.htm

A second read is here..
http://tinyurl.com/6fazcj

The aux fuel tanks are not to be used until you have burned about an hour of fuel out of the mains and DO NOT change both engines to the AUX tanks at the same time. Yes, I know the chances of it happening are rare but I can assure you, it is possible to run both tanks dry AT THE SAME TIME and pulling off after marking a target for a set of F-100s is NOT the time for both engines to quit. And yes, obviously they will restart when you switch back to main tanks.

Enjoy the Mixmaster... it is a comfortable cross country airplane.

cavok_italy
27th Apr 2008, 21:48
Thanks a lot. Here in Italy there are really few ones for getting useful tips.

Bob Lenahan
27th Apr 2008, 22:56
I never flew them, but one who did pointed out that there is no yaw in an engine failure, the idea being you could lose one and not know if you didn't watch the engine panel.

barit1
30th Apr 2008, 21:14
The advise re starting the rear engine first is important - but also make sure it hasn't died at idle pre-takeoff. Crosscheck early in the TO roll - There has been more than one takeoff accident in which the pilot didn't know he was running on the front engine only! :ugh:

snips
30th Apr 2008, 21:43
Spent some time flying these in Africa.

Make Sure EGT gauges are serviceable, there about you best indicator which engine has died.

Rear Engine Cycles fuel faster than the front. Watch out for sticky fuel indicator switches on the fuel selectors. Easy to think you've got more than you actually have.

Some 337's have dual hydraulic pumps, but in the event of engine failure feather the engine first then worry about gear and flaps.

Lead with Rear engine (Right throttle) first Up to full power, The slowly bring in the front engine.

Rear Cowl flap needs to be open a crack in the cruise unless its below 0 to 5 degrees c.

Don't try a haul it off the ground to early the drag will kill you.

Single Engine Performance is respectable, Rear Engine Better than Front.

If someone accidentally bangs the tail on the ground, check the gap between rudder and fin its fairly tight.

Mirrors on the boom to check the u/c gear are in invaluable.

Probably more there but my grey cell in tired.

Cheers

snips

One more, The aux tank pick ups uncover fairly easily leading when not in normal climb decent turn, S+L etc and leads to a raised heart beat :eek: