PDA

View Full Version : a friend is worried....

CY333
27th Apr 2008, 12:14
Hi all.
A friend made up his mind to follow me in a few months to the UK to start the ATPL course.
He is quite worried due to his previous job that was working as a dj for 10 years.
He never had problems with his hearing, only the buzzzzzing noise but in very few occasions.
Has anybody had any similar experience or you believe his hearing good could have bee affected so much that he wiil be failing his medical?
As i said he never experienced hearing problems but he is becoming a bit too worried about and I want you opinion on this one.
Thank you in advance.

SAA
27th Apr 2008, 12:50
All he can really do is to go for his class 1 and see if he pass it before starting any exams or training...

redsnail
27th Apr 2008, 13:32
It's known as tinnitus and it is annoying. As far as I know, it's a clear sign that your mate's hearing has copped a bit of a beating. Any way, tell him to start wearing hearing protection at all times.

Has he damaged it enough to affect his medical chances? Only a hearing test will determine that.

If it's intermittent, it's a warning sign to take care of his hearing NOW.

Good luck.

bajadj
27th Apr 2008, 13:35
CY333 bizarrely enough that was almost my identical situation!!

I was a club dj for about 15 years and was really worried about my medical. No probs at all at gatwick. (you can also see the nurses hand move out of the corner of your eye when you're in the booth!!)

Tell your friend he should be fine.

V-Step
27th Apr 2008, 14:14
I wonder how many nurse's hands you'll see at 5000ft trying to ident an NDB or a DME!!!:eek:

Anyway, he should be ok, just tell hime to ensure he wears double hearing protection for a week before the medical. He wont hear the Wife/Gf either......:D

bajadj
27th Apr 2008, 14:40
probably the exact same amount as the ndb's that he'll be asked to identify at his medical!

CY333
27th Apr 2008, 14:46
good to hear then.

mason
27th Apr 2008, 15:08
say again?