PDA

View Full Version : Good Schools/Instructors in London Area.

James_H1982
27th Apr 2008, 11:44
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on good flying schools/instructors in and around the London area.

I’ve got my PPL and about 65 hours, but for various reasons have not been able to do any flying for nearly a year. Now looking to find a good instructor, brush up on my skills so I can start doing some regular flying. Once back in the groove I’d like to get my night rating and maybe IMC also.

In the process of researching and visiting a few schools but it would be very much appreciated if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

BRS_flyer
27th Apr 2008, 14:13
Hey

Have heard good things from sudents at Stapleford flight centre in Stapleford Tawney in Essex (http://www.flysfc.com/) and Cubair at Redhill (http://www.cubair.demon.co.uk/frames.htm)

Cabair also have a number of PPL schools in or around the M25 but will probably be more expensive than others.

Cricket23
27th Apr 2008, 19:48
I did my PPL at Cubair. It's a small friendly school/club who'll provide a personal service.

C23

time4parties
28th Apr 2008, 17:27
I would seriously recommend the British Airways Flying club at High Wycombe. As they run the airfield there (Booker) the landing fees are included in the price of hiring their aircraft and there are no hidden extras (as you will find with Cab Air). I have had two instructors there - sadly my first left for a job with Oxford - and I can say that the instructing is second to none. Dick Thurbin is a really good instructor there. They use instructors that are out to do it as a career and not to hour build, so would seriously recommend them.

OpenCirrus619
29th Apr 2008, 09:33
Depending how "East" of London you are you could always look at Headcorn or Rochester.

For the pedants (I guess I must include myself): :rolleyes:
As they own the airfield there (Booker)

Not since last year:
The lease on the Aerodrome is held by Airways Aero Associations, once a subsidiary of British Airways, who run the British Airways flying club from the airfield. They provide Air Traffic Control, Firefighting and other services to all the park users. The shareholding of AAA Ltd was sold in 2007 to Arora Family Trust, of which Surinder Arora and his family are beneficiaries.

OC619

smarthawke
29th Apr 2008, 10:34
OC619 - to take your pedants a stage further....

Wycombe Air Park has never been owned by Airways Aero Associations Ltd.

Since 1965 when they moved there, AAA Ltd (of which the British Airways Flying Club is part) has held the long term lease from the actual land owners, Wycombe District Council. This continues to be the case after Arora bought AAA Ltd from BA last year.

Despite a press release to the various publications stating what the situation was, just about all of them reported that Wycombe Air Park had been sold rather than AAA Ltd, the company holding the long term lease. So even our 'own' press can get it wrong!

PS 2008 is the 60th Anniversary of the BA Flying Club (Airways Aero Club as was) this year and we have had mick Allen paint one of our Warriors in a special celebratory paintscheme, have a look at:

http://www.allenaircraftresprays.co.uk/

PPS We have a space for another engineer if anyone is interested.