PDA

View Full Version : South Africa - Helicopter game ranger how to?

Daysleeper
27th Apr 2008, 06:46
Daughter of a friend of mine is looking to do helicopter game counting type stuff in south africa. She has several years experience being a game ranger and is looking to add to that. She's in the UK for a few months visiting family and has an idea to start training while she's here.

Any suggestions as to what license she would need (SA CPL I'd have thought) and the best way to go about it?

krobar
27th Apr 2008, 12:07
She'll need to have a CPL, validated or SA, if she's hoping to earn a living flying. I'd also suggest doing all the training in SA, to build the network to find work later. Its a tough industry to get exactly what you want straight out of comm.

organ donor
27th Apr 2008, 12:24
I second what Krobar said, a very tough industry to get into, but where there's a will, there's a way. Would suggest forget learning in the UK, will not help matters, train in the environment and get to know the people. Try www.bassair.co.za for a start, I couldn't recomend them more highly.

Jared
27th Apr 2008, 17:43
Suggest the training takes place in South Africa ie. to SA CAA Helicopter Commercial level.

If it is Game Capture she is bent on then there is a good possibility that a company will require Commercial 400 hours minimum in addition to a short course that gives an idea of the various behavioural characteristics of the different animals.

It is not a glamour job with hours in the bush away from creature comforts and civilisation.

The minimum hour requirement is because the flying is not for the faint-hearted. HOT&High operations operating on the very fringes of the aircraft's (usually an R22), flight envelope.

Good Luck

B Sousa
27th Apr 2008, 19:08
Best if she is really wealthy. That way she will be able to eat for the first five years.....

Take this thread to the African Forum. Many there will offer wiser options...

qwagga1
3rd May 2008, 05:39
Daysleeper
Most Flying schools in SA can do the training I would however go to an instructor that does active game capturing to teach you the finner details after completion of your CPL. The problem is also finding the right game capture outfit to start capturing with, as a lot of them will put pressure on her to perform on the same level as previous pilots. If this is really what she whants to do I can put her in contact with the correct people to start with. As previously stated this is not a glamour job, and "roughing it" is sometimes an understatement. But it is one of the most rewarding experiences I have had as a nature loving person. As a game capture pilot she will have to understand that one of the tools to manage a game farm is capture, but culling is another and not such a nice part of the job. PM me for details if interested Daysleeper. I have left the industry some years ago but can maybe put you in the right direction.
Q

Daysleeper
3rd May 2008, 06:15
Thanks for all the help guys I'll pass this on to her.
qwagga I'll pm you over the weekend.