PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ATP to JAA ATP

neilson
27th Apr 2008, 00:51
hello,

Looking to convert my ATPL to JAA. I'm looking for the best place to write the exams for the fewest dollars/euros/sterling. Can you wirte the exams without enrolling in a program at a flight school? Can i just book the tests and go in and write them? I can study on my own. I dont think i need the to pay $3000 or more for a distant education program. Anybody out there with experience with this?

Thanks,
neilson

paco
27th Apr 2008, 04:54
If you don't have the hours for an exemption you will have to do the full 9 yards, I'm afraid :(

I suggest you get on to the CAA website (www.caa.co.uk) and search for the LASORS document which will tell you all about that in excruciating detail.

You may be able to study on your own, but you would be wise to do some exam prep.

Phil

neilson
29th Apr 2008, 02:45
Hey Phil,

Thanks for your input. I dont have the required hours to bypass most of the conversion process as i only have 1900. I've been told that I will have to sit all 14 exams and do some flying aswell in order to complete the conversion.

neilson

lowspeedaluminium
29th Apr 2008, 04:50
the search function is your friend. Lots of info here about conversions...you just have to look for it.

Alex Whittingham
29th Apr 2008, 07:44
Hi Neilson,

If you have more than 1500 hours on aircraft certified for two pilot operations you are exempt approved training. This means you can study how you wish and apply for the exams without going through a school. If you don't have these hours you are going to have to do an approved course, which means studying through a school. The school is allowed to reduce the training time from the full 650 hours, this would normally be done in discussion with you.

The cheapest approved courses are just under £1000, you also need to consider CAA exam fees at £65 a paper for 14 papers, assuming no resits, and accommodation costs during the exam weeks and during any classroom phases of the course.

Warlock1
12th May 2008, 08:19
I am Canadian and had frozen ATPL with less then 1500 horus of flying. Had to do all 14 exams again inorder to convert and beleive me when I say, it wasnt easy at all!!!