PDA

View Full Version : Progress Flight Academy SA

Duffer2007
26th Apr 2008, 14:13
Hi everyone,

I've done a few searches on progress flight academy in port elizabeth SA and everything i'm seeing is good good good!!! The costs of doing your ppl and hours building on multi engine to 155 hours is only ZAR 144630... This amounts to only EUR11927....

This is for nothing especially when your getting the multi engine time!! I first saw them advertised on bristol flying centres site and to be approved by the likes of them must be a good sign.

The cost of the course is all in.. accomodation for 3 months, meals 3 times a day etc etc!

I am really considering going here now in june! Flights to port elizabeth are working out at around 812 euro... very similar to florida! But way cheaper overall!

Ian

Anderson8
26th Apr 2008, 15:28
Sounds quality, im seriously thinking of going there now... changing my mind from florida.

I shall be going in the summer as i turn 17 in 8 days =)

Duffer2007
26th Apr 2008, 16:08
cool when you thinking of heading over? Im more than sure I wanna go now... the place sounds class! Im changing my mind from florida too..haha.
Do you think theres a lot of visa stuff to get done? like there is in the us?

Ian

Shay
26th Apr 2008, 19:06
Hey, yeah ive been to PE to visit that place, looks brilliant. SA airways do all of their training there as well. accommodation is nice and their fleet looks quite nice! good choice for anyone...

Duffer2007
26th Apr 2008, 19:26
Shay:

So you really think its worth going for ya? Do you know what i need to do for visas etc???

Ian

Shay
26th Apr 2008, 23:54
Unfortunately I have no idea about visas, because I am both a UK and SAfrican citizen, I wouldnt need any... but yeah the place is really good I've flown from there a couple of times. The only downside that I can see is that its quite a bit from PE itself, and I gathered that the life inside thegates is pretty quiet- but this would only encourage more studying i presume! give them a ring and maybe talk to them, theyre friendly people. And weather is hot hot hot :cool:

Llen
27th Apr 2008, 11:28
Hey guys

I've just come back from Progress where I did the first part of module one (PPL + 30 hours). I had a great experience and yes your right incomparison to UK, USA, etc they are cheap.

You haven't mentioned it in previuos posts but a lot of the training will be done in Victoria West. This is a small town in the northern cape and is pretty isolated. When I left they had 3 instructors there and usually take on approx 8 - 10 students every 6 weeks or so. There was a little bit of a backlog as I left.

The PE campus is totally different and is as you say a little way out of PE but many students have cars and there is a shuttle bus that takes you into town during the week and weekend.

On the whole I had a wonderful 3 months out there but one word of caution: I was told that the course would take 7 - 8 weeks. In the end it took me 11/12 due to weather and backlogs etc. Since january the SA CAA has revamped its PPL sylabus and is more in line with JAA. They are still coming to terms with the differences and this is adding to the backlog.

PM me if you want any further details, I'll be happy to help.

Cheers
Llen

Hueyguy
6th Nov 2012, 17:14
Hi Llen,
Just looking through an old post you have about progress flight training in PE. I'm from Ireland and thinking of heading over there to do my ppl and some hr building ,
I've been told just recently that the SA flight syllabus is very close to the jaa system. Is this true ? The main reason for learning outside Ireland and considering SA is the weather. Is December a good time of year to head down there. Could you honestly recommend progress, is it a good & professional company . I would appreciate any feedback, thanks ,
Brian.

Llen
8th Nov 2012, 12:12
Hey heuyguy

I'm a bit out of the loop with regards flying as I've not flown for over a year now - economics and all that. i was only aware of this post when i got the email notification.

My time in SA was awesome but I will caveat that by saying that my intentions were never to go commercial - more of a life experience. Whilst I was over there they had a base in Victoria West which I believe has closed now but I've not kept up to date to be honest. I did all my training bar a few days in Victoria West but the Port Elizabeth base was pretty good.

When I was there they had training contracts with various south african airlines and kenya airways. I feel the training I recieved was very good and the best syndication of that was on my return to the UK. I joined Aeros in Filton and needed a few hours orientation flight before i could go solo in the UK. The instructors were very impressed with the standard on my flying but also the checks and general flight management that I had been taught. When I renewed my licence in 2009, the South African registered examiner also made this comment (Irv Lee - look him up, very good guy who may be able to offer you advice).

If I was to look back objectively the main negative was the delay and backlog but I have no idea if this is an issue now. The main 'rival school' at the time was 43rd and I don't know if that's the case anymore but that has a reputation as another top notch school.

What you will gain from training in SA is a high stanard of training with a licence similar to that in the UK for a lot less money (there was 16 rand to the pound when i was there). You will also get an experienec of a beautiful country that will live with you forever (I'll never forget navigating solo around the semi arid karoo desert, landing on deserted strip miles from anywhere).

I hope this helps but like I said I went in 2008 and I'm sure plenty will have changed since then.

llen