PDA

View Full Version : First Flight For My Grandad

Information Delta
26th Apr 2008, 10:48
Hey guys, I got my PPL through the post the other day and today my grandad is going to be my first passenger:). He's 76 and never flown!
I'll take things slowly and steadily as I realise that the things I have experienced many times before he has never experienced.

What are your experiences like when taking someone up who has never flown in their lives?

Thanks,

Information Delta

autothrottle
26th Apr 2008, 11:12
Took my brother up, first flight after PPL, 18 years ago. One tip, make sure you have a reasonable horizon and not too many tight turns. I know from experience!!!!!!!!!!

I never got chance to take my Grandpa, so make the most of it and let us know how you got on. Good luck!:D

modelman
26th Apr 2008, 11:17
Taking you first pax ( or any other time) can be the most rewarding experience you will have with your PPL,esp if they really enjoy it.
Don't forget to offer them a little 'drive' as well.

Hope you have a good one.

MM

russellmounce
26th Apr 2008, 11:19
I took up my dad and my brother. My dad was fine, but I took things fairly steady and kept him updated all the time as to where we were and stuff like that.

My brother seemed fine, so I demonstrated a stall (he never understood aircraft stalling, kept thinking of cars stalling) and then he started to feel sick. I had to call the flight off early - I told him because of the weather - as I was worried he was going to throw up.

My grandad refuses to go up with me, so make the most of the flight you have with yours! have fun.

Information Delta
26th Apr 2008, 11:23
Thanks for you quick responses!
I just hope the rain holds off. The good thing is that the aircraft is free all day after 15:00 so I can wait around a while.
Modelman, I'll offer my grandad a go of the controls but whether he accepts the offer or not is a different story;).
Thanks for all your replies!

Information Delta

jollyrog
26th Apr 2008, 11:38
My first passengers were my partner and her six year old daugher. I found for the few few flights after qualifying that managing passengers in addition to the aircraft was very stressful, especially a child.

Take heed of the advice re. tight turns - another friend of mine threw up in the turn to final last year. I'd had to do a go around due to a crappy overhead join, bad circuit and too high/unstable approach (all my own fault) and on the turn to final on the (eventually successful) landing, she lost it. Fortunately, into a bag, but the sound over the intercom has to be heard to appreciate the clarity. Thoughts of aircraft cleaning, whilst concentrating on final at an unfamilliar airfield are quite distracting.

Take a sick bag, fly a couple of circuits to see how he gets on before you head out into the main flight. I've done this with new passengers since and it's worked for me.

Cusco
26th Apr 2008, 11:55
Sound advice re steep turns and sudden changes of altitude.

For seriously anxious pax try some extended taxying prior to take off if ATC is not a problem: Gets them used to changes in engine note , noise and vibration.

Once in the air forewarn pax before every action, like throttling back, commencing a turn, lowering flaps, and head for home at the slightest sign of green gills.

I keep a number of sick bags handy but out of sight as well as multiple sheets of kitchen roll and
even a wet flannel in a poly bag:

Overkill you might think, but a recently chundered pax will thank you for the cool dampness of the flannel as you head back to base....................

Enjoy

Cusco:rolleyes:

Lister Noble
26th Apr 2008, 13:17
My first two passengers were experienced pilots,I reckoned it was safer to practice on them.
Then my wife and then a girl I know who is learning to fly.
All these were in a PA28-180 which has bags of power and load capacity.
I've only taken two light ones up in the L4 Cub as 65hp does not give much weight allowance after me!
Lister;);)

charliegolf
26th Apr 2008, 17:18
When I finished, my instructor suggested I get a few hours in on my own before taking any passengers. I thought it was good advice- gave me a few more decision making opportunities, and I felt more confident.

CG

Lister Noble
26th Apr 2008, 17:35
My instructor said the same, and I did a few hours on my own first.
Lister

Lasiorhinus
26th Apr 2008, 18:22
Your first passenger is a hugely rewarding experience! It's the moment when you finally get to show someone that you can actually fly, instead of just telling them about it.

If you take a girlfriend/etc, and your aircraft doesnt have an autopilot, please make sure you're absolutely perfectly trimmed correctly.:E

Never take anyone flying because you want them to come with you. Make sure you are taking them because they want to go with you.

I knew my mother would be a nervous flier. She was nervous with me driving the car when I was on L plates. Convincing her to go flying would have been a disaster, so I left her to come to me whenever she decided she wanted to go. I took my father up, and once we landed, my mother said "Can I come now?". All it took was seeing my dad come back alive.

BIRK
26th Apr 2008, 21:02
I second everything said above but i'd like to add:

The passenger (in this case your grandpa) is going to watch your every move. If your moves are calm, then the passenger will be calm. If you start to be uncertain in what you're doing then the person beside/behind you will become nervous.

Also, always inform the pax in what you're about to to or are doing (if able), like "Now i will retract the flaps [after takeoff] so you'll feel the plane sink a bit, just normal" or educate them about how the bright red handle or the transponder works.

Just remember: Your passengers put their lives into your hands, it's alot of responsibility. Fly safe, good luck and have fun :ok:

The Flying Pram
26th Apr 2008, 21:28
My first passenger turned out to be a commercial pilot (A Citation driver IIRC). Sensibly my friends didn't tell me this before hand, and also hadn't told him that I had only just got my PPL. Good move! I have subsequently carried lots of people aloft. Some of them complete strangers, at least one of whom had never flown in anything before, and others including PPL's ,CPL's and ATCO's.

Only one, from memory, really didn't enjoy the experience. He was a PPL at a local airfield who had been "egged on" by some mates, it was also a rather bumpy afternoon, and he announced his displeasure just as we were clearing the upwind end of the runway. A very short circuit ensued and I had him back on terra firma in just over a minute. I learned a valuable lesson that day - never take anyone flying unless They want to. And also pick a calm evening if you have any doubts about their enthusiasm.

ExSimGuy
27th Apr 2008, 15:30
I've only made a few flights, in the right, when in UK on vacation, but my mother once said she'd love to come with me if I could get a 4-seater.

I wish I'd taken her up on it; sadly too late now :sad:

Information Delta
27th Apr 2008, 16:25
Thanks for your replies guys,
Did my first passenger carrying flight as a PPL and all went well. My grandad was even up for steep turns and stalls. I was amazed by the fact that he had never flown and he didnt seem phased by them. He really really enjoyed it and wants to come up again (which is the main thing!) but he wasn't scared at all!
Thanks for your advice everyone!:)

Information Delta

Mad Girl
27th Apr 2008, 17:42
I only passed my test on Wednesday but have also had "passenger" thoughts going through my head.... for when the licence comes back..

I think small step changes are going to be right for me........

I've been flying around with a couple of VERY experienced pilots for the last year trying to get to grips with navigation whilst they flew, and I think I'll be more comfortable if the first passenger was one of them, but me in the LH seat for a change. Next.... my "other half" who flies a weight shift microlight, so he's used to bumps, and has been flown around with other people in a fixed wing before.....And only then will I consider a NON flying passenger.....

Hopefully by then I'll have more experience under my belt, and be fairly relaxed having people other than my instructor in the aeroplane with me.

usedtofly
28th Apr 2008, 05:52
Information Delta,

Now, you got off to a good start on your first post :ok:

I'll take things slowly and steadily as I realise that the things I have experienced many times before he has never experienced.Then you went and did this! :=

My grandad was even up for steep turns and stalls!I don't want to rain on your parade but what you did was foolish and irresponsible. You have only just qualified. A shiney new PPL does NOT make you TOP GUN ! :rolleyes:

Your mission when flying passengers is NOT to impress them with your 'look what I can do' display of flying skills but to give them a safe passage.

Well done on obtaining your PPL, you know how hard you have worked to achieve it, just fly safely and responsibly eh?

Cheers

UTF :)

Information Delta
28th Apr 2008, 08:19
Hi UTF,

I understand that when in the air that safety, good airmanship and responsibility are of greatest concern.
I have performed those monoeuvers countless times with my instructor and at no point did I make a foolish or irresponsible decision. I took things steadily, did the necessary HASELL checks etc and started with standard rate turns and then gradually increased the angle of bank. I didn't just carelessly drift into them.
I'm sorry if I have come across as unsafe as I did not mean to. As a newly qualified PPL I realise I have a LOT to learn and that I am not a "Top Gun".
I understand what you are saying and I will consider what you have said for future flights. Thanks for your post,

Information Delta

usedtofly
28th Apr 2008, 10:58
Hi Information Delta,

To be honest, I was expecting a little bit of flak from my post but you have 'taken it on the chin'...............well done.

I did not mean to be 'high and mighty' but the instructor (ex) came out in me i guess:8

My real concern was that no matter how many times one has practised stalls, it only takes ONE time to really bite you in the a$$ ! Then the stall becomes an incipient spin (scary enough) then worse case scenario..........a full spin :eek: All a bit much on yer first outing without an instructor :uhoh:

Anyway, enjoy your flying and keep safe

Cheers

UTF

Information Delta
28th Apr 2008, 11:35
Hi UTF,

Thanks for your input. I'll tone it down on my next flight and ensure the safety of the passengers and just get used to being on my own a bit more.
I recognise I may have been moving a bit fast rather than concentrating on the basics and as I said before, getting used to flying with people who don't know much about flying.
Have you any advice of when to practice stalls and how to do them safely and effectively as I really want to sharpen my skills and become as competent (not over confident!!!) as possible.
Thanks once again,

Information Delta

fernytickles
28th Apr 2008, 12:45
Most of the time, people who haven't been up in a small aeroplane before are happy just to be looking at the view, enjoying seeing the land from an unusual and different perspective.

If you liken your flight to the Barnstorming days, or to sight seeing flights, thats basically what you are acheiving. Nothing technical or likely to upset a stomach less accustomed to flying than yours has become.

Glad your Grandfather had a strong stomach, and a calm demeanour!

If you really want to sharpen your skills, and have the finances, how about considering an aerobatic course?

lauchiemb
28th Apr 2008, 13:23
Poor grandad much have been SO scared, I am amazed he made it through the flight. All that nasty noise and tight turns.

Guys of his generation grew up during the war and would be the first to sacrifice their lives for King and country. Remember all those young pilots that flew off to defend the UK in the air with far fewer hours that we need to gain our PPL.

Grandad should have clipped Information Delta round the ear!

Mikehotel152
28th Apr 2008, 14:30
I planned to take my wife up for a few short local flights in a little 152 before embarking on a long-time planned trip to Scotland. I thought this would give her confidence in my abilities.

As it turned out, her first flight with me was in a hulking great 182 around 3 days after my licence came in the post. While I was fidlding with the wobbly prop and asking for help identifying the Luton/Stansted gap on the way up to Prestwick, she was feeling a little :eek: and :mad: and :yuk:.

She often reminds me of this...very often...exceedingly often...

Which reminds me: I issued 'vouchers' to family members to join me for a few flights over the summer. I'm not looking forward to taking my wife's sister up. She's even scared of escalators for goodness sake...:ooh:

moggiee
28th Apr 2008, 14:38
There's nothing wrong with doing steep turns and stalls with Grandad on board provided that.........................they were done with the same professionalism and accuracy that your instructor would expect.

The dangers come with the "hey, watch this" moments. A planned and properly executed manouevre with good lookout and airmanship is fine. Otherwise you may as well say "can't carry passengers, flying circuits and landing is too dangerous".

Lasiorhinus
28th Apr 2008, 15:54
As fernytickles said, your passengers don't need an aerobatics display to be impressed. Just because you consider straight and level to be somewhat mundane, does not mean your passenger will. Simply being up in an aircraft, looking outside, looking at the ground, trying to see their house, will be enough of a thrill. Your task is to keep both your aircraft, and your passenger's lunch stable.

Rugbyears
28th Apr 2008, 20:45
It was my dad who was the first passenger, things were progressing rather smoothly and he was somewhat enjoying himself. That was until the engine kindly give a brief cough. This was closely followed by the weather quickly closing in. Rather annoyingly, I had meticulously studied the forecasted weather for that day in great detail prior to departing, however, it was awful, very unpleasant, mainly rain.

The poor man hasn't recovered to this day..!

moggiee
28th Apr 2008, 22:50
As fernytickles said, your passengers don't need an aerobatics display to be impressed. Just because you consider straight and level to be somewhat mundane, does not mean your passenger will. Simply being up in an aircraft, looking outside, looking at the ground, trying to see their house, will be enough of a thrill. Your task is to keep both your aircraft, and your passenger's lunch stable.
It's hardly up to any of us to say what the pilot and passenger did/should/could enjoy - that is their business and as long as they were safe, legal and both happy then that's all that matters.

Back in your boxes you sanctimonious, patronising, self-important know-it-alls (that last one was not aimed solely at Lasoirhinus).

usedtofly
29th Apr 2008, 09:08
It's hardly up to any of us to say what the pilot and passenger did/should/could enjoy - that is their business and as long as they were safe, legal and both happy then that's all that matters.Maybe so, but the passenger is wholly dependant on the pilot. The pilot has a 'duty of care' not to expose passengers to unnecessary risk. How would 'Grandad' know what is safe or not? he is not a pilot.

Back in your boxes you sanctimonious, patronising, self-important know-it-allsPersonally, if I am one of the 'sanctimonious' one's, then perhaps it's because I've seen too many young and inexperienced pilots make too many 'judgement errors' over the years. Contributors to this forum are simply offering Info Delta a 'few cautionary words' of advice or guidance.

Info Delta was clearly in a state of excitement when he first posted. He also solicited comment. Given what came his way he has dealt with it rather well I'd say.

All of this debate is of course meant to be constructive so I have just modified this post a second time to remove the 'personal' element from it.

Happy and safe flying dudes :)

UTF