PDA

View Full Version : Air India offers permanent jobs to 777 Capts

boeingdream787
25th Apr 2008, 19:36
Hi all. Just heard from a source that Air India is in the process ( or already has ) put up an advertisment offering PERMANENT jobs to any and all B777 commanders(Captains). Which may not mean much for all the expats applying for the post but would surely create havoc and make things quite quite interesting for all the Indians who might wish to join A.I as 777 captains.
Can anyone shed some light on this. I'm looking for some news link on the subject. Or better still the ad itself....
Cheers... BD

Nevrekar
26th Apr 2008, 01:46
If they are offering a DEC position for Indian applicants then there will be a few folks taking the plunge I imagine. But my understanding per the regs that the prospectives will have to give their current employer 6 months before they can join AI. Then again that might be waived as AI is the Govt!

NGFellow
26th Apr 2008, 02:12
The airline party in India will be over in about 3 years, maybe less. With oil prices skyrocketing, overcapacity, low fares, most of these airlines are bleeding to death, slowly. Don't forget to turn the lights off before you leave!
Employment wise the ME is a much better bet, financially. India will have it's own version of the subprime crisis. Real Estate is one example, people are buying real-estate with money they don't have, hoping that the values will double by the time the property is ready. Many are buying more than one property. It is hard to believe but they are some properties in Delhi etc (just apartments) going for $250,000--$500,00 USD. If there is a hiccup (and there will be) they guys will not be able to pay their loans and will try to sell, with no buyers. The new generation in India is slowly getting used to credit cards and debts, something my older Indian friends tell me was not common practice before. If you didn't have the money, you didnt buy it. Now you get a loan or credit and folks are getting used to it. America is getting beaten up because of this.

boeingdream787
26th Apr 2008, 08:15
The wierd part about this "permanent position" for expat 777 captains is that the ad was apparantely published with the AI managment well aware that there were at least 60-70 ( maybe more ) first officers with AI currently with enough experience to make a seamless upgrade to 777 captain position.Wonder whats cooking in the Air India pot.....?? Or maybe thats just the way they work..... :ugh: .

jetsreams
26th Apr 2008, 13:28
As per airline sources ,the advert was inadvertantly published with the word "permanent" and it turns out that it was a misprint.

Misprint or not, the very fact that pilots are being inducted in AI as Captains with scant regard to line seniority and bypassing other permanent employees is unfortunate.

The concept of seniority based career progression is based on the principles of fair play and natural justice - values easily placed in the backburner by a management all too eager to please the all pervaiding Minister of Civil Aviation, Air India's de facto owner.In addition most pilots in AI are divided by individual agendas, offering little or no resistance collectively to the tidal wave of change sweeping across the airline and the Indian civil avation industry.

Rumours abound that the pilot shortage in the country is being artificially created by elements in the Indian Government and certain individuals in the airlines' management, since placement firms share a percentage of their commission , for placing expats, with those in the corridors of power.Furthermore, recruiting large numbers of expat Captains ensures that more new aircraft are purchased which in turn ensures a smooth flow of kickbacks in India , while protecting jobs in Seattle and Europe.

Some of it actually does begin to make sense.

Queries to the DGCA under the Right To Information Act reveal that NOT ONE of the Indian DGCA's officers designated with the task of setting ATPL Written Examination questions for pilots has ever touched the controls of an aircraft !

Months ago,two hundred odd pilots were disqualified from appearing in one ATPL exam session for not sending the DGCA copies of their highschool marksheets - an absurd requirement published on the DGCA website a few days after the last date submitting them had passed. All this in an ICAO member state that issues ICAO licences !

Little wonder then that the failure rate amongst ATPL aspirants in India is amongst the highest in the world.And to compound the problem a pilot can only appear for an ATPL exam four times in a WHOLE year.Not surprising then,that India has a shortage of Captains and the smiles on the faces of those in power are silently becoming wider.

An expat Captain flying for AI who attempted and failed all his Indian ATPL written papers twice and was declared permanently UNFIT by an Indian medical board many years ago now continues to fly in command under a US FAA validated licence .

There are many more in other Indian airlines like him who have learnt to beat the system as the system continues to beat its own citizens.Nobody in India cares as long as flights are manned, new aircraft are purchased ,pockets are lined and the traveling public are satiated by cheap tickets.

Not atleast till we are all woken up one day by the sound of metal grinding on concrete.

boeingdream787
26th Apr 2008, 15:54
Jetstreams.....very well said....!!
I could'nt have put it better myself.....:D:D:D

alouette3
26th Apr 2008, 17:53
Jetstreams:
Excellent post.:ok: However, I am afraid your post will trigger another bout of verbal diarrhoea (with constipation of the mind) from a certain gentleman whom we all love to hate on this site.:EStand by to repel boarders!!!
Alt 3.

boeingdream787
26th Apr 2008, 21:36
Hmmmm....i like the simili drawn....get wet and go.....and "repel boarders". Makes for interesting thinking.....lol.
Well,yes. Watch out for him tho.....:ugh:...:{.

black gun
26th Apr 2008, 23:20
Good one Jetsreams......suprising getsetgo is not here yet.....maybe he fell of the perch

getsetgo
27th Apr 2008, 22:45
black gun
watchout before you fall from the sky

av8r76
28th Apr 2008, 17:50
Somebody get this specimen out of prune.

let's not wish ANYONE to fall from the sky.

sky...perch..... BIG DIFFERENCE. Think before you type.:ugh:

Ali Sadikin
28th Apr 2008, 22:33
History repeating itself...bucaneers masquerading as master mariners fighting over spoils in the East; many must have been reincarnated from the east India Company! Mother India, beware.