PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planning: Class D Enroute

junction34
25th Apr 2008, 16:18
I hope someone will be able to help out with a planning problem:-

I'm planning a flight from the Isle of Man to Belfast Aldergrove. If I go direct from the IOM VOR to Portaferry I would be directly under L10 (Class D).

What are the chances of getting a clearance at say FL65 / 85 (base FL45) through this Class D? If so, would I be handed off from Ronaldsway? Who would I talk to?

If the above is possible, would I be able to remain in the L10 Class D over the City CTR, and descend within the Belfast CTR?

Essentially: Is routing VFR direct IOM - BEL in the Class D allowed for a plain PPL? (Assuming VFR/VMC can be maintained)

Whilst I could remain below FL45 and route to the south of Belfast in order to enter the CTR from the South, I would prefer the extra altitude and direct route if possible.

Thanks in advance.
-j34-

fisbangwollop
25th Apr 2008, 19:12
You should not bhave a problem routing the way you plan in class D providing you maintain VFR. Ronaldsway would give you a service then hand you off to Belfast City.

fisbangwollop
25th Apr 2008, 19:14
P.S.........sorry never read your planed level, I guess at FL065 Ronaldsway may give you initially to Scottish 123.775 before transfer to either AC or AA.

IO540
25th Apr 2008, 20:17
Junction34, your instructor should be dragged over the coals for not teaching you something this basic. You should get airborne without understanding this stuff completely.

Class D is controlled airspace. VFR is allowed but you need ATC clearance to enter it.

In VFR flight planning, it is OK to plan a route which passes through controlled airspace, but you must also work out Plan B which doesn't. Then, if ATC refuses transit, you activate Plan B. The alternative is to go back where you came from, which is not really great.

junction34
25th Apr 2008, 20:21
Thanks FIS-

I didn't know if there were any special restrictions on Class D when it's an airway rather than CTA/CTR. I'll also plan an alternative route to the south of the CTA should the weather or traffic dictate a lower altitude.

Regards,
-j34-

junction34
25th Apr 2008, 20:42
IO540 - Thanks for the reply, but I think you've misunderstood my question. (Maybe I didn't present it in the clearest manner - sorry.)

I'm fully aware about Class D requirements, and operate in and out of a Class D zone everytime I go flying.

The airspace in question is the L10 airway - Class A East of IOM, and Class D to the West down to FL45.

What I was asking was if there was any special restrictions for this particular Class D (similar to Class C above FL195 which has restricted access for VFR traffic.) or if experience has shown that traffic conditions would make a VFR clearance unlikely.

I couldn't find anything specific in the AIP/ANO that said I couldn't, so was really just asking for advice to assist in planning the best route.

Regards,
-j34-

SOTV
25th Apr 2008, 20:48
All I can find is that all airways are class A unless they enter a lower status TMA, CTA or CTR. L10 is class A until the IOM then changes to class D on the same FL45+.

As a PPL you can transit an airway without authority at base level at right angles to the track. A pilot with a valid IR can penetrate and cross an airway with ATC authority.

Whether that rule applies to airways in class D or only when in class A, I do not know.

junction34
25th Apr 2008, 21:13
That's it SOTV,

Class A is an absolute no-no without an IR (SVFR in the Channel Isles excepted) so was simply checking if there was anything odd about Class D Airways. I wasn't wanting to cross the airway, I was asking about operating within it, straight down the centre and 4000 feet above its base!

Thanks to FISBangWallop and IO540, I have the answer.

Cheers,
-j34-

SOTV
25th Apr 2008, 21:41
Bit confused.

It reads to me that airways are a no-no if not on a full IFR flight whether they are class A or D. Transiting at the low level at right angles by PPL or penetrating and crossing at other levels by IR pilots in VMC is permissible. Transit along a designated airway VFR at any level above the published minimum is a no go.

:confused:

IO540
26th Apr 2008, 06:12
An 'airway' has no special meaning. It is the class of airspace that matters.

Class D is OK for VFR if ATC let you in.

Class A is OK for VFR too if ATC will let you in, but this is possible only if the airspace extends all the way to ground, in which case you can get in under an SVFR clearance. Jersey or Heathrow are examples of this.

Toadpool
26th Apr 2008, 09:20
Class A is OK for VFR too if ATC will let you in, but this is possible only if the airspace extends all the way to ground, in which case you can get in under an SVFR clearance. Jersey or Heathrow are examples of this.

Sorry IO, but this is not correct.

Class A is deemed to be permanently IMC, so VFR is not OK.

As you say you may enter a class A control zone under a SVFR clearance, but this is not VFR. It is a clearance to operate in a control zone when IFR would normally be required, but the pilot is unable to comply. It is also subject to pilot qualifications, special conditions, etc.

jxk
26th Apr 2008, 10:08
I was under the impression that gliders can cross an Airway at right angles or at least they used to be! Gosh, air-law can be so multifarious with everyone having a slightly different interpretation of things. Perhaps the CAA should appoint someone so that we could ring a friend.

junction34
26th Apr 2008, 10:48
Gliders can cross a Class A airway so long as the airway is notified for the purpose, an ATC clearance has been granted, and the crossing is in VMC and meets the specified visibility requirements.

The VFR Guide from the CAA has the details, however the glider pilots must have a briefing within the past 12 months which would seem to effectively limits these crossings to pilots operating from certain gliding clubs.

bookworm
26th Apr 2008, 11:27
The VFR Guide from the CAA has the details,

Where, exactly, please?

junction34
26th Apr 2008, 11:53
Bookworm:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/64/VFR_Guide_2008.pdf - Page 10

and

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF - Page 292 (Sec. 18)

DFC
26th Apr 2008, 14:00
There is no problem with planning to fly IOM- RINGA VFR.

Remember the following;

You must file a flight plan sufficient time before departure

and

Your chosen level must be an IFR level since in the UK VFR flights in controlled airspace are to fly at IFR levels and not the VFR levels.

Maintain VMC.

You will probably have to remind the tower in IOM that you are flying on the ATS route and not below so that approach can co-ordinate with Scottish.

If you are refused entry i.e. forced to fly below then don't forget to fill in the appropriate form when you arive.

On the theory side, the reason why the airways bewteen the IOM and Belfast TMA are class D is they they are mostly contained within the Strangford CTA.

-------------

What I was asking was if there was any special restrictions for this particular Class D (similar to Class C above FL195 which has restricted access for VFR traffic.) or if experience has shown that traffic conditions would make a VFR clearance unlikely.

The restrictions on VFR in the European wide Class C airspace above FL195 is not because it is class C it is for other reasons. If there is Class C below FL195 then you are entitled to file a flight plan and on=btain clearance to fly in it.

--------

The VFR flight guide is also on the UK AIS website.

Regards,

DFC

bookworm
26th Apr 2008, 17:29
junction 34

Thanks, I'm well acquainted with the ANO, less so with the VFR guide. I meant "where exactly in the VFR guide can I find the reference to gliders crossing airways?" I'll answer my own question and say that it's at the bottom of page 10.

The actualy notification is in ENR 3.1 under the notes for the particular airway, for example for P600:

and this portion is notified for the purposes of Rule 18 (3) of
the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 in accordance with
the conditions established in a LOA btn the British
Gliding Association (BGA) and Scottish ACC.

It's a great deal less permissive than it used to be. In fact in the entire UK airways system, there are only two airways so notified: P600 and B226, between the northern boundary of the Scottish TMA and Aberdeen.