PDA

View Full Version : US Airways And United To Merge??

NJTHEBUS
25th Apr 2008, 03:58
Rumor Is To Be By Monday, About Merging With United Anyone Have More News

Just a spotter
28th Apr 2008, 17:04
United Airlines and US Airways Group are in "very advanced" merger talks, two sources with knowledge of the matter said.
A deal could be finalized within the next couple of weeks and could include significant cuts in capacity, one of the sources said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24353000

JAS

ZaaZoo
28th Apr 2008, 17:28
As if US didnt have enough pilot problems....they are gonna take on Uniteds? How many pilot groups would that create? East-West-Northeast-Midwest?

West Coast
28th Apr 2008, 18:23
I have to believe it would be UA taking on US Airways problems. Someone has to drive, and I don't think it will be US Air.

Mike734us
28th Apr 2008, 21:40
If United pilots get in the mix ALPA, once again will become the dominant union sentiment. USAPA may not last a year. Now THAT will make for some interesting situations.

411A
29th Apr 2008, 11:19
Should this 'merger' actually take place, one should expect a few original USAirways (USAir, east) pilots chomping at the bit to gain entry into UAL's 747-400's...straight to the LHS.:rolleyes:

EagleStar
29th Apr 2008, 16:08
United Airlines and US Airways are in very advanced talks towards a merger and an announcement is expected within two weeks, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

From CNN Website

EagleStar

captjns
29th Apr 2008, 16:43
Oh great... toxic and poisonous... a perfect union... er pardon the pun.

sevenstrokeroll
29th Apr 2008, 20:14
A merger was announced between the two airlines over 7 years ago and it fell apart with pressure from the clinton and then bush administration...it was felt at the time that both airlines were very healthy and could make it on their own.

I lost some quarter million dollars in stock and think it unlikely to see this merger happen today.

The pilots at United alpa help to conceive a merger policy that through out date of hire. THAT CONCEPT HELPED TO REMOVE ALPA AT USAIR on April 17 of this year.

All the arguments against DOH (date of hire seniority integration) included such concepts as "healthy airlines" taking over airlines headed for trouble and that one airline SAVED another.

Well, you can't have that argument both ways, because United LOST more money than USAIR did.

IF it (the merger) does happen, I hope the concept of DOH will prevail. It is the easy to do, no arbitrator, nothing but a number.

But I don't think this merger will happen...same with Delta/Northwest

85Speedbird
8th May 2008, 19:26
"Should this 'merger' actually take place, one should expect a few original USAirways (USAir, east) pilots chomping at the bit to gain entry into UAL's 747-400's...straight to the LHS."--411A

I don't think that will ever happen, 411A. Assuming the US Airways Pilots Association methodology prevails and a 'DOH + Fences + Protections' list were to be utilized, then I foresee the senior US Airways pilots being locked off UAL's bigger equipment and vice versa for a significant time. At least until after most of the more senior pilots retire.

However, if it were to go relative position, then who knows what might happen.

I heard the NWA/Republic merger still has fences in effect from over 20 years ago.

Just a spotter
15th May 2008, 12:51
According to AP story as reported by CNBC ...

United Airlines and Continental Airlines are talking about forming an alliance to gain some benefits of working together without going through a merger, which Continental rejected last month, a person close to the talks said Wednesday.
United is still pushing ahead with negotiations aimed at a combination with US Airways Group but wouldn't pursue both deals, said the person, who wasn't authorized to speak about the matter and requested anonymity.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24637050

JAS