PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma: Which Route?

Anderson8
24th Apr 2008, 19:32
Im seriously considering my future as a commerical pilot as it is something i have an immense interest in.
What would be the best route for me to choose;

PPL/ATPL modular training in AMERICA (+hour building)
Training for PPL etc in UK.

Would i have to do my hour building for PPL then loads more hours for ATPL course.

I figure its cheaper in America?

My plan would be to (briefly, missing out things obviously)
1. Get a PPL in America 2. Hour build on PPL 3.Sit ATPL ground school in UK, 4. then train for my ATPL in America?

Adios
24th Apr 2008, 19:49
Anderson,

So long as you train for a JAA fATPL in America, you will save money. If you try to do an FAA ME/CPL/IR, then convert to JAA, it will take you an extra 9 months or so and probably cost £15-20K for the conversion.

JAA requires the IR be done in European airspace, so do the PPL, Night Qual and Hour building in the States. Next do JAA ATPL theory in Europe. Then do a JAA ME and CPL in the States. Then do the JAA IR and MCC in Europe.

Finally, I would recommend no more than two schools for the flying after ATPL theory. I spoke to a FlyBe recruiter recently who said they allow one school for ATPL theory and no more than two others for CPL/ME/IR/MCC. When I asked why, he said words to the effect that the FTOs can't really judge the character of students who spend less than a month with them. In other words, if you jump around a lot, they don't know whether it is because you are shopping for cheapest price or because you are a prat who doesn't get on anywhere. He indicated that the reason they allow two schools for the flying bit is because some very good modular schools do not offer MCC.

Rugbyears
24th Apr 2008, 19:54
I would suggest you complete all your initial PPL training as cheaply as possible. The United States may prove a cost effective option, however, one must account for air travel, accommodation as well as general living expenses whilst out there. With reference to further commercial training, such as, ATPLs, CPL and IR. I would strongly advise you to fulfil this training here in the United Kingdom at a suitable school. That is assuming the JAA Licence is your goal.

As with both PPL and Commercial training, Research, Research and Research, you will be parting company with a great deal of cash, for this reason, make sure you know exactly what you will receive in place.

Best of luck…. :ok:

Anderson8
24th Apr 2008, 19:55
Thanks for advice, appriciated.

Im 17 in 4 days and i cant wait to start my PPL.

So after ive trained for my fATPL in europe, can i go back to the school in the states where i did hour building for PPL? or would i need to train on big aeroplanes?

Im limited in knowledge, but so keen to do it:(

Rugbyears
24th Apr 2008, 19:59
No, returning to the USA is acceptable, indeed, I believe Oxford use Phoenix FTO in Arizona....Remember additional cost however.

Adios
24th Apr 2008, 21:33
Anderson,

Take a look at the sticky threads up top and you'll be up to speed quickly.

If the stateside school where you do the PPL and hour building offers ME and CPL, then it's definitely okay to do them there.