PDA

View Full Version : Gazelle crash Norway 1982 XV905

struggle
24th Apr 2008, 19:23
Does anybody have any info regarding the crash of XV905 in Norway back in '82, it was a 2 Flt AAC Gazelle. Just interested as have just met one of the guys that was onboard at the time and we were wondering if anybody had any clear details from the incident, as he's a thick RAF lad from the back seats.

Struggle

TheWizard
24th Apr 2008, 19:41
Come on, surely there must be plenty of less thick people who have clearer memories and information than someone who was on board at the time?

KarlADrage
24th Apr 2008, 19:50
Can't help with details but the reg should be XW905 according to this site:

http://www.ukserials.com/results.php?serial=XW

XV905 was to be an F-111K.

charliegolf
24th Apr 2008, 19:56
Struggle,

i was around at the time. Can't get my logbook for exact date and time, but here goes.

OC 33, Simon the Pieman went flying his Puma out of Bomoen Camp and flew into whiteout conditions. The crewman, Terry Williamson was in the door trying to see the floor and give patter when they impacted. Terry was ok, but banged about abit.

The gazelle was despatched with Jengo and a groungcrew sarge, whose names Iforget. However, conditions hadn't improved, and the gazelle crashed badly at the Puma site.

The a/c was destroyed. The front 2 seats bit of the cabin were folded under the rest of the cabin floor. All three survived, but Jengo was really bad.

Sergeant Golf and his pilot were, at the moment the second crash was reported, at 10,000 ft, doors open over a frozen lake near Bomoen. We were just about to chuck out some Noggie free fallers when we were told to return immediately. (I never worked out why we didn't drop- the door really was open, and these guys were really pumped!)

We got a running brief and went to the site with medics and others. We were fu@@@ng careful, i assure you. We got in OK. The site was an eye opener.

I think we were first help in, but I only remember lifting the AAC pilot to the hospital- maybe we were in a 2 ship?

I thought this guy was going to croke- I flew in the back, supporting his neck all the way- we had no sophisticated med kit. There was a light moment though.

The Army guy whispered for me to come closer. "My pocket, jacket pocket". I thought this is a deathbed message to the wife and kids. "Don't worry i said, save your energy".

"No, please he says, my pocket".

I shoved my hand in, to find an envelope with a wad of cash to choke a horse! I'm thinking, **** he's going. Then he whispers, "It's the detatchment imprest- make sure you give it to the boys". !!!

The Puma, since flown by the boss, was deemed to have had a 'heavy landing'. The impact flexed the mast so much that all the grey paint cracked off. The boys back at Odius (we went for a look on our return) said it was Cat 5 really. But they taped the bugger with speed tape and flew it back across the water and home!

Happy days.

CG

Green Flash
24th Apr 2008, 20:08
But they taped the bugger with speed tape and flew it back across the water and home!

Happy days.

Anyone got any (printable!) tales of some of the most outrageous emergency field repairs ever committed? ie locations/in contact/materials used/etc/etc?????

ShyTorque
24th Apr 2008, 21:35
I remember one Puma captain being brought home on a stretcher because he was so bad after a good party - does that count?