PDA

View Full Version : U B A S History

UBAS Historian
24th Apr 2008, 09:19
This year the University of Birmingham Air Squadron is celebrating 30 years of being based at RAF Cosford, having moved there in 1978 on a short term basis whilst the runway was being resurfaced at RAF Shawbury.

We would be most grateful if anyone who can remember the move could let us know what the squadron was like at that time, and what the move involved. (Due to the closure of RAF Bentley Priory the Air Historical Branch is a currently packed up in boxes.) Also if anyone has any (clean!) storys of UBAS studes who have gone on to greatness or fame, we would be most grateful.

UBAS SCRIBE.

UBAS Historian
25th Apr 2008, 12:24
Indeed any good stories from the past 30 years at Cosford would be a great help!!

JTIDS
28th Apr 2008, 19:14
Obviously UBAS was a very dull Air Squadron!

cargosales
28th Apr 2008, 19:22
Not at all and quite the opposite in fact. Twas rather a 'lively' place and summer camps even more so :)

The lack of responses is simply that the chap asked for clean stories, and whilst there are loads of stories to be told (or not!), they don't exactly fit into the clean category :ok:

UBAS Historian
28th Apr 2008, 20:14
Would go with clean-ish... or accept PM's!

Melchett01
28th Apr 2008, 21:53
Clean-ish? Nah sorry, we didn't manage that either. That would be like saying you got the Stn Cdr's daughter half pregnant :E

Not that I'm saying we got anybodies daughter pregnant. Oh sod it, I'll stop digging a hole and just say damn it was a fun 2 years :ok:

I can almost hear the Buffalo Chant from hear - oh and the Sundarbon still does a damn good curry - I was up there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't notice the fish tank though; either I was being unobservant or they had finally learnt the lesson :}

Flying Lawyer
29th Apr 2008, 04:11
Also if anyone has any (clean!) storys of UBAS studes who have gone on to greatness or fame, we would be most grateful.

Captain W.D. (Jock) Lowe Ph.D
BA Chief Pilot 1991-1996
Concorde Commercial Manager 1996-1999
Chief Concorde Pilot 1989-1991
Concorde Captain 1989-2001
Concorde Pilot 1975-2001

Cadet Pilot in UBAS in the late 60s.
Won the Cooper Trophy (Aerobatics) for UBAS.

Graduated B.Sc (chemical engineering) and Ph.D (rocket propulsion - sponsored by the then Ministry of Aviation.)
Awarded two honorary doctorates since then, one of which is a D.Univ. from Birmingham.

Joined BOAC after university, initially flying VC10s.

Still flies regularly – mainly his Chipmunk.

Only the second person to be both President of the RAeS and Master of the Guild of Air Pilots (http://www.gapan.org).

Trustee of CHIRP (Confidential Human factors Incident Reporting Programme)

Respected aviation consultant/expert witness. (Jock was always my first choice when I was at the Bar because he's not only extremely knowledgeable about aviation but a clever man and a very impressive witness in court - the best expert witness in aviation matters I've seen.)

FL

dakkg651
29th Apr 2008, 07:59
I remember the new aerobatic manouevre invented by UBAS students at one party.

I seem to recall it was named The Sherpa Roll and involved a minibus full of nurses.

Great fun patching them up though!

K.Whyjelly
30th Apr 2008, 10:25
Is it the vast amounts of wine and gin I've consumed over the years or am I correct in recalling the boss of UBAS in the late 70's early 80's as an ex Herc mate with a predilection for growing face fungus??? :}

hunterboy
30th Apr 2008, 11:13
Captain W.D. (Jock) Lowe Ph.D
Didn't he retire in disgrace due to commiting adultery with one of his employees wives?.......Allegedly
p.s wonder how long it will take for this to be "moderated"

212man
30th Apr 2008, 13:56
I guess people had to join UBAS because they couldn't be arsed to drive 100 miles up the M6 and join a decent UAS? :p

Melchett01
30th Apr 2008, 16:45
Is there a university in Birmingham?

There are 3 or 4 actually ..... although only 2 could really be described as proper universities :}

I guess people had to join UBAS because they couldn't be arsed to drive 100 miles up the M6 and join a decent UAS?

Not at all - we just didn't fancy driving 100 miles up the M6 to have our cars nicked by thieving gypos after spending the day trying to avoid a bird strike on finals :E

cargosales
30th Apr 2008, 23:17
What has happened to all the old 'Line Books'? They would provide a rich vein of amusement. And possibly the odd story clean enough to be reproduced in an official history :confused:

On the other hand, IIRC, most entries revolved around beer, sex, women and accidental double entendres. Such as this one which for some reason has stuck in my fading memory:

Stude having been despatched to determine why no sound was emanating from the juke box in the pub returns and announces loudly:

"Well I found a knob and fiddled with it but nothing happened" :}

Bonus points are available for anyone who can identify the place / year / camp (but not the individual by real name please!)