PDA

View Full Version : General Aviation in Costa Rica

yellowsubmarine
23rd Apr 2008, 23:57
Just a quick question for those who know...

I am a CPL holder in the UK and am planning a trip out to Costa Rica and would love to do a spot of flying while im there. I would like to know if it is possible to rent an aircraft without extensive check out flights, as I have spoken to one company which insists on 50 hrs with an instructor.

I have done a search and duely noted Panama Jack's information on validating foreign licences...I tip my hat to you sir.

However if there is anyone who has been there and found cheap and uncomplicated a/c hire (cessna or piper), I would be very grateful for the information.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

YS:ok:

guiones
24th Apr 2008, 00:55
You will not be able to fly by yourself without an instructor without doing a lot of time consuming goverment procedures, and no one will rent you an aircraft unless they are very sure you are very very familiar with the procedures and specially the terrain. Sorry.

Flying in Costa Rica is not easy, not a lot of radar coverage, only 2 mayor and one general aviation airports and lots of mountains, volcanoes and very soon, the rainy season. Also a lot of traffic in the central valley, mixed up with large jets.

Your best bet would be to go fly with an instructor to be safe and enjoy yourself; when you come back, tell me if I was mistaken.

Your best bet is Everardo Carmona at ECDEA:
Aeropuerto Tobías Bolaños Palma (Hangar 74)
Pavas, San José, Costa Rica
Tel. +506 2231-1025
Fax.+506 2232-9600
E-Mail: [email protected] ([email protected])

Have fun!!

yellowsubmarine
25th Apr 2008, 11:40
Thankyou very much 'mae'. I will give him a ring and have a chat.

YS

guiones
25th Apr 2008, 12:16
Pura vida and have a good time.