PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair passport question????

FLYboh
23rd Apr 2008, 20:24
Can you book a flight using an Australian passport. There seems to be no information about this on their website. It just keeps saying that you need a valid EU/EEA passport. Any help would be great thanks:ok:

Final 3 Greens
23rd Apr 2008, 21:16
Hi

To reassure yourself, look at the terms and conditions (link on LHS of website home page, about 1/2 way down)

The look under the heading entitled "Documentation and Advance Passenger Information", particularly the 1st point.

heidelberg
24th Apr 2008, 08:41
Must admit F3G the wording you are referring to suggests only EU passport holders may use on line check in with Ryanair.
I don't understand the reasoning for this.
Is Ryanair unique in not allowing non EU passport holders check in on line?
I've checked the Lingus site and they have no passport restrictions for on line check in.
Strange one Ryanair?

SXB
24th Apr 2008, 09:28
I imagine this is related visa regimes and the checks airlines need to make to stop people being denied entry at a destination for not having the proper visas or documentation. If a passenger is denied entry for that reason then it's the airline who have to pay for their return to the point of departure.

If you hold an EU passport then you have the right to travel to any other EU country, in fact you can travel to any European destination with no visa with the exception of Russia, Belarus, Armenia and Azerbaijan (sometimes Turkey, depending on the flavour of your EU passport). That about covers RYR route map.

The problems arise with holders of non EU passports. For example, if you hold a Serbian passport and possess a valid visa for the UK this does not entitle you to visit Schengen. Also, you may actually have a Schengen visa but your UK visa is single entry, which means they won't let you back into the UK. The airlines are responsable for checking travellers have valid travel docs which is why RYR prefer non EU passport holders to check in with a human being rather than on the web.

Some airlines are happy to do a detailed document or visa check at the gate but it's normally supplemental

Final 3 Greens
24th Apr 2008, 12:33
Heidelberg, the OP didn't ask about check in, s/he asked about booking a flight.

The wording is clear

"All passengers must present valid photo identification at check-in for all flights. The only acceptable forms of photo-ID on Ryanair flights are:

* A valid passport (passport for travel outside the EEA must have six months validity beyond the date of entry).

Quite clearly any valid passport is acceptable.

heidelberg
24th Apr 2008, 12:54
F3G.
Ryanair website T & C's include the following wording:
'To qualify for Online Check-in each passenger must present either a valid passport or National Identity Card, issued by the government of an EU/ European Economic Area (EEA) country which matches the document details printed on their online boarding pass, at both airport security and the departure gate'.
Unless I'm mistaken this suggests PAX holding non EU passports are NOT entitled to on line check in.
If I'm missing something I look forward to someone correcting me.

Final 3 Greens
24th Apr 2008, 13:33
Heidelberg

The original quesion was

"Can you book a flight using an Australian passport. "

OLCI was not mentioned.

heidelberg
24th Apr 2008, 16:37
Sorry F3G. I forgot what the original question was - i.e. "Can you book a flight using an Australian passport. "

Yes, you can book a flight regardless of passport you have. However as F3G rightly points out make sure you comply with Ryanair's requirements. If you don't comply you do not fly. Many people get caught out with the requirement of having 6 months left on passport on arrival. Many countries insist on this including EU ones - even applies to fellow EU citizens!

It is also worthwhile knowing that Ryanair on line check in is NOT available to everyone. As F3G states check the T & C's.