PDA

View Full Version : Pilots announcement

VFR Transit
23rd Apr 2008, 13:39
I was sitting here and thinkg about what pilots say when they do the announcement before the flight, everytime they do an announcement I just can't hear them.

What is the welcome onboard script the pilots says before engine start?

Thanks
VFR

jb2_86_uk
23rd Apr 2008, 14:20
Varies airline to airline, but its usually anticipated flight duration, current weather at destination and occassionally ive heard them list a couple of cities en-route

JB

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Apr 2008, 14:40
Content? Company culture / listening during line training/ SOP's will be clear

The secret?

A wriggle in the seat to get comfortable and relax.
Use the hand mike - it usually sounds better.
Talk to a single person not a frightening mass.

Extra points if you have the nerve to close your eyes while you speak.

Warm and assured is the result closely followed by being restrained and taken from the aircraft.:uhoh::ooh:

preduk
23rd Apr 2008, 15:24
I was thinking about this question myself, it would be pretty stressful the first time!

Anyone got any stories of muck ups? :}

cortilla
23rd Apr 2008, 15:33
in my company captain does the initial PA and then the pilot flying does one or 2 more. I try to do one at top of climb giving current altitude and speed (and translate that in to laymans terms of 7 miles up and 6 miles a minute) routing and current expected arrival time. Then at around about top of descent another one giving the weather at destination, again in laymans terms.

Whilst i havn't been doing them for long i'm getting the hang of the spiel and to help me out in the beginning i used my trusty pilots atlas and pen and paper (yes i write them down before talking, much easier).

ford cortina
23rd Apr 2008, 15:40
Yeah i wrote them down too at first. My first P/A the Safety pilot was reading a copy of Penthouse, or similar and decided that I needed to "look at those t:mad:ts"right in the middle of my speil. needless to say I was reduced to a fit of laughter and took a few minutes to regain my self, then as I mentioned that we would be flying over Brest, he did it again.
Fun tiimes

Halfwayback
23rd Apr 2008, 19:01
Just make sure you have PA selected - not VHF1 - and then check once more!

There are those that have done it - those yet to do it!

Normally you will only make that mistake once!

HWB

Rugbyears
23rd Apr 2008, 19:18
Actually, one wonders just what actually go on within the confinements of the Flight Deck. Auto-Pilot engaged and off you go, how are you chaps amusing yourselves….. I’ve heard the Cabin girls are very friendly….tut tut, I don't mean in that way – There must be some humours stories out there…!

Sorry, did not mean to hijack thread, posted here accidentally..!

cortilla
23rd Apr 2008, 19:47
ah now you see to stop me making my pa's over vhf1, i always use the mic on the central pedestal. However i have used the intercom many times instead of transmitting and once i've transmitted instead of using the intercom.

Maude Charlee
23rd Apr 2008, 20:00
HWB

I wish it only happened once - I'm something of a serial offender. Hello Gatwick Delivery, it's me again! :O

If you want the practice, go get a job at Tesco and do the in-store announcements. Works a treat. :}

jb2_86_uk
23rd Apr 2008, 20:03
check the ATC Humour thread, there are some great stories of mis-directed transmisions.

Its a (very) long read, but its well worth it. It kept me giggling for 3 days

JB:ok: