PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL at Hillsboro Aviation, Oregon

LB1985
22nd Apr 2008, 23:54
I'm looking at maybe going to Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon to undertake FAA PPL (fixed wing) training over the summer. I'm not too keen on the intense Florida heat and the lots of the schools which seem to be 'pilot factories', so Oregon looks like it could be a good option. Does anybody have any recent experiences of Hillsboro Aviation to report on?

julian_storey
24th Apr 2008, 07:31
No experience.

HOWEVER I do have various experience of flight schools in the US. I found a great one in the end, but in the process also found one owned by sharks who just want to take your money and have little regard for whether or not you achieve any of your training objectives.

You are doing the right thing by researching carefully the place that you go to.

SkyHawk-N
24th Apr 2008, 17:29
I'm moving to Oregon this summer. Hillsboro is a good airport with all the facilities. It's very near to Portland so airspace will be busy but it will be useful for you to get the exposure. Nice flying up the Columbia River and along the coast to the west. I'll be based to the south and nearer to the Cascade Mountains which is spectacular flying territory.

Don't have an engine out over the sea, there are Great White Sharks. Don't have an engine out over the forests as there are bears. :ok:

I like Oregon you will have a great time.

LB1985
24th Apr 2008, 18:22
Julian, Skyhawk - thanks for your replies! :ok:

Anybody else that has been to Hillsboro Aviation recently who can tell me any stories of their experiences?

BroomstickPilot
26th Apr 2008, 05:52
Hi LB1985,

A couple of years ago, I was looking for a training establishment in the US and eventually asked US pilots through their jetcareers.com website. Hillsboro was one of the establishments they recommended. I never followed up the idea of training in the States.

If you want up to date infor about Hillsboro, I suggest you do a search on jetcareers.com and see what comes up.

Broomstick.

LB1985
27th Apr 2008, 15:56
Broomstick, many thanks. I wasn't aware of the jet careers website; will check it out now! :ok:

LB1985
30th Apr 2008, 18:38
Well, sadly Hillsboro are unable to offer me training over the summer period as they wouldn't have an instructor for me. I'm happy they've been upfront about it though, I'd have hate to have got there just to sit on the ground.

So, the search continues: can anybody recommend a good school (not pilot factory) for getting a FAA PPL in the USA? :confused:

JamesTigris
1st May 2008, 20:44
How about Moncton in Canada? Its a long way from Florida and you can get a JAA PPL there as they have some form of relationship with Cabair.

I'm looking to do my PPL soon and they are top of my list to investigate at the moment.

Anyone got any views? Like LB1985, I'd be interested to hear other suggestions too.

LB1985
1st May 2008, 23:44
Thanks, James, I'll look into that. However, I am more inclined to go for an FAA PPL - I don't fancy paying the CAA for doing basically bugger all! :E

NW_Pilot
7th May 2008, 17:59
I live in the area, Portland, OR

it's a great school little low on instructors right now but they just doubled the instructor pay I am told from one of their CFI's so they should staff up quickly.

They are a Cessna dealer and have nice newer aircraft. Rates are a bit high but for the area a bunch of wealthy Intel folks, other wise good people good place.

Enjoy your trip

chrisbl
7th May 2008, 21:09
I cannot recomend Hillsboro too much. I did my Commercial with them last September and it all worked out fine.

They are upfront and will not waste your time or your money. If they can do something they will says so, likewise if they cannot.

They currently have a large contract with Shanghai airlines wher they are going from ab-initio to multi commercial IR.

It is a great location, Portland is one of the few civilised places in the US and it was easy to feel at home.

Beats Florida any day.

You could try another Oregon School, Corvallis Aero who have M1 visa status.

http://corvallisaero.net/international.htm

The other advantage of Oregon is no sales tax which makes the schools considerably cheaper than Florida and their kit is better too.

IO540
8th May 2008, 07:50
I am more inclined to go for an FAA PPL - I don't fancy paying the CAA for doing basically bugger all!

An FAA PPL entitles you to fly a G-reg worldwide VFR (ref: ANO article 26).

However, there is a slight risk that such automatic validation will be forced to be removed by EASA; if they do it would be around 2012.

Fortunately there is a reasonable conversion route to a CAA/JAA PPL if you have more than about 100hrs; you sit about 3 exams and do the checkride. And of course the UK medical.

The most common reason for doing the FAA PPL is when working towards the FAA IR, but that needs an N-reg aircraft to get the full IFR privileges.

America is still cheaper than the UK but not as much as it used to be. According to a colleague who lives there, current avgas in FL is over $4 per USG which is about a 2x increase over past 2 years. I was renting spamcans in Arizona for $100/hr in 2006, so the price differential has clearly narrowed relative to the UK. In 2000 it was about 3x; now it's probably more like 1.5x

What you do get out there is good weather, probably better instructors (not so many hour builders), and because you are out there full-time you learn fast - unlike the UK where a PPL takes about a year.

MartinCh
9th May 2008, 07:00
I'm off to Hillsboro Aviation next month to do my PPL (rotary).

Having read about some short staffing on fixed wing CFI side (won't happen with rotary instructors due to market..) I went to their website and yes, there's even dedicated video for CFI recruitment. Wasn't while ago.

Let's hope things won't change too much (at least not in a bad way for my plans) over next few years. I hope pay rise doesn't mean they'd up the already so-so rate that students are being charged, even more so as they do 1 on 1 theory at the same rate.

Yeah. Oil prices suck.
As for Moncton, well, I did have a look, did get their price list and with the Canadian dollar being as strong as is, it's just not reasonable as 'cheaper alternative' to UK. If, then for the fun of the environment, maybe. Or maybe my idea of cost of FW training in the UK isn't correct. Well..

LB1985
11th May 2008, 21:37
IO540, many thanks for your comments. I'm still trying to decide what to do!

Apache600
13th May 2008, 17:09
Hey LB1985, do you have any of your ratings yet?

How long do you want your training to take? There's a pretty good school in Oshkosh WI that's coupled with a technical college there. It's called Fox Valley Technical College. Their flight program takes you all the way to your flight instructor ratings in 2 years.
However, i just finished a flight school in florida called ATP (jacksonville location). If you just go to google and type ATP flight, it'll be the first link that comes up. ATP is a difficult school because of the pace you do your training at. It is INSANELY fast. you'll go from zero to flight instructor in approximatly 1/2 year. The school is tough because all the ground school is up to you.
the reason i went with ATP was because i already had my 4 year degree and my PPL, so i wanted to do it the quick way.

Good luck with your decision, and if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.
LATERS!

LB1985
13th May 2008, 20:14
Apache, thanks for your reply. I have no ratings yet, I'm looking to get my PPL.

chrisbl
13th May 2008, 21:43
ATP dont say whether they have immigration approval (if they had they would be upfront about it ) so may be off limits to non US trainees as you would not get a visa to train there.

Apache600
14th May 2008, 15:32
Wouldn't hurt to give them a phone call