PDA

View Full Version : Days off a month???

3 bladed beast
22nd Apr 2008, 22:05
I was just wondering, given the non operational enviroment back in good old Blighty, how many days(hours) are we meant to work a week?

To put it more simply, if we work monday to friday, are we entitled to the weekend off? And if we were asked to work the weekend, are we entitled to time off in the week?

Apologies for the simpleness of this thread, but i'm unsure!

:{

FormerFlake
22nd Apr 2008, 22:08
Back in Blighty you are suppose to work to the civil working time standards. So 1 day off in 7 or 2 in 14. Minimum of 11 hours between shifts etc. Never happens though.

MrBernoulli
22nd Apr 2008, 23:48
I spend more days away, on average, in my civvy job than I did in the RAF ..... but then I don't usually spend more than 3 to 5 days away at a time. No more months on detachment. And I get a nice hotel room ..... to myself ..... with aircon ...... and a porcelain ****ter in the bathroom ....... and ....... ah, I can't be arsed with this post anymore. ;)

Mr C Hinecap
23rd Apr 2008, 05:05
It sounds like someone has picked up a weekend Orderly Officer to me.

Old Fella
23rd Apr 2008, 05:43
Mate, just review what you signed when you enlisted. "Agree to serve where and when required" most likely. Week-ends in the military are usually when, and if, your outfit can spare the time. 'Time in lieu' is a good out for the military. Just like us, it has a finite life and is lost if not taken within that life. At least that's the way it used to be out here in the colonies.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Apr 2008, 06:17
He has a point though.

Just has to learn

to take

the rough with the rough.:E

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2008, 07:26
Why jump on 3BB? He might be concerned he is getting too many days off.

Redcarpet
23rd Apr 2008, 07:32
Are weekends the equivalent of days 6 & 7? ;)

BEagle
23rd Apr 2008, 07:45
When that idiot Kelvin Rucksack forced the shotgun wedding of AT and AAR, 'days off' became very rare. Because the demand for AAR was normlly Mon-Fri, but AT could be needed at any time.

Paticularly bad for instructors, since we had to teach AT on established tasks, rather than on 'Trainers' as was once the method.

This meant waiting for a suitable trip to become available, then trying to find some suitably qualified instructors, then wrestle with that abortion called STARS to try to allocate the crew. As well as trying to find people for AAR instruction, because the idiot Rucksack demanded his new policy took effect before all instructors were cross-qualified...

So, after having 8 days off in 3 months with heaven knows how many time zone changes, I found myself knackered and starting to make silly mistakes. Was my Boss sympathetic? Was he hell. So from then on if I found people being required to work for more than 5 consecutive days and/or nights, without a break, I didn't programme them for the following 2. That didn't work for long, because someone else would programme them.

I had my GDT/ODT/CCS/TLA cancelled 5 times at the end of 2003 / early 2003. All because "There's no-one else available".

I share your views, Mr B!!

Some air forces still have that quaint tradition known as 'post route stand-down' or 'crew rest'. Sod all chance of that in the era of overstretch in the RAF.

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2008, 07:51
Not too long back the RAF was very short of serviceable Pumas and we weren't getting days off; 33 sqn and the OCU had to share airframes.

The boss came up with a great idea to get the best utilisation from the remaining aircraft. An early shift and a late shift.

By the end of week one we were all working both shifts, 7 days a week.... :ugh:

PlasticCabDriver
23rd Apr 2008, 08:00
Not too long back the RAF was very short of serviceable Pumas and we weren't getting days off; 33 sqn and the OCU had to share airframes.

What do you mean "Not too long back"? We still are!

edward england
23rd Apr 2008, 08:30
then wrestle with that abortion called STARS to try to allocate the crew

Isn't it funny how opinions change, especially as BOCS arrives on the scene:confused:

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2008, 08:44
What do you mean "Not too long back"? We still are!

Well, if you will keep bending them, what do you expect? :rolleyes:

;)

MOVAGAIN
23rd Apr 2008, 21:21
Just asking the question but why do we start at 8 o' clock as the 'normal day' - who else does? Yes I know we have shift / flt times / ops/ex etc.... However, why don't we start at 9 o' clock? The powers that be have been trying to reduce the working day for the RAF for over 10 years so reduce it by starting the working day at 9. This would improve morale, reduce child care costs, allow papernts to take kids to school etc, etc... I will now sit back and wait for the abuse!:O

Tricorn
24th Apr 2008, 13:49
Here goes..........

8 o'clock!! Wish I started that late - I could have a lie-in ;)!!

Biggus
24th Apr 2008, 19:29
'We used to get up half an hour before we went to bed, work 27 hours a day down't pit..........'

(you either know it or you don't!)

davejb
24th Apr 2008, 19:35
Sorry, didn't quite understand the question -
do you mean EVERY month?

Dave

(Interesting (hah, only to us nerds though) trivia point...THAT sketch is usually attributed to Monty P, but it actually dates from 'At Last, the 1948 Light Show' where it was originally performed by many of the Monty P cast....plus a few others. Ahem, but "Tell kids of today that and they won't believe you...").