PDA

View Full Version : Transition From Small Multi Engine to Commercial Big Seaters

Anderson8
22nd Apr 2008, 17:40
I was just wondering what the transition was from your training in an 8 seater to co-piloting large jumbo jets, would there be more exams to take and training?

Surely you cant just go from flying an 8 seater to co-piloting a 300+ seater?

Mercenary Pilot
22nd Apr 2008, 18:07
Surely you cant just go from flying an 8 seater to co-piloting a 300+ seater?Yes you can. Presuming that you have your CPL/IR all you would need to do is a type rating. Which consists of a technical exam on the aircraft systems, simulator training and then 6 take off & landings in the real thing. Then you're all good to go. :ok:

Anderson8
22nd Apr 2008, 18:09
Wow, that seems great, so it would take only a few weeks to train in the real thing, and im ready to go =)

Mercenary Pilot
22nd Apr 2008, 18:18
Pretty much. That is assuming that you have done all the training to get your Commercial Pilots Licence first.

Years ago, it was the airlines that always paid for the type training but these days any qualified commercial pilot can pay for a type rating of their choice. A Boeing 737 rating will set you back around £20000 which includes 1 hour in the aircraft to do the 6 take-offs and landings.

It takes around 4-6 weeks to do a type rating including the ground schooling on the systems.

The trick is to get a job with a decent airline that will pay it for you though. :)

Anderson8
22nd Apr 2008, 18:34
really, £20000? i didnt realise it cost that much... do you konw of any airlines that offer type ratings from past experience?

Mercenary Pilot
22nd Apr 2008, 19:16
Most type ratings are offered by independent companies although Ryanair charge their new pilots for the type rating when they join.

Rugbyears
22nd Apr 2008, 20:58
I am aware that BMI require a £2000 bond, they then deducted the remaining proportion from your salary!