PDA

View Full Version : Lecture on Navigation on Thursday this week.

Rod1
22nd Apr 2008, 12:04
I am attending a lecture in Burton on Trent on Thursday night on Navigation.

------------------------

David Cockburn CAA GA Department
John Gentleman ex CAA AIS Regulation
Mark Batin -ex RAF Navigator and GA pilot.

This should be an excellent evening, please make every effort to attend and support the RIN’s talk. Bring along anyone else who would be interested.

Navigation is both a skill and an art and the basis of all navigation is proper planning. The practice of good visual (VFR) navigation is accurate map reading enhanced by reference to other aids when appropriate. It is very satisfying for a pilot to arrive at the destination having used this skill and discovered what the ground features look like.

Since the advent of radio navigation aids many pilots of light aircraft have concentrated on their use instead of developing classic navigational skills.

The loss of such skills is exacerbated by the availability of GPS. The object of the General Aviation Navigation Group is to encourage the private pilot to navigate safely using the use of classic navigational skills...

------------------------------------

I know some of you are very anti DR and very Pro GPS, so you might like to turn up:E It is Free of charge! It is organized by East Staffordshire Flying Club.

Starts: 19:30
Ends: 21:30

Albion Hotel,
Shobnall Road,
Burton on Trent,
DE14 2BE.

IO540
22nd Apr 2008, 16:06
IMHO the art of navigation died with with the disappearance of the sextant.

In fact, when they found a way to make decent clocks, it all became too easy because longitude could be worked out.

The real navigators died of starvation if they missed the next waypoint. That's how it should be. Proper responsibility for one's mistakes!

HeliCraig
22nd Apr 2008, 16:57
Crikey IO, wouldn't want to make too many mistakes around you if that's your preferred punishment.

I thought I was harsh.

Mind you, I suppose you would only make the mistake once!! :D

IO540
22nd Apr 2008, 21:39
Sorry - irony doesn't travel well on the internet :)

I just afford myself a little smile when I drop into one of the lectures given by the Old Guard of the Dead Reckoning Kremlin, trying their best to preserve the ancient skills perfected by the Olmecs who in 15,000BC sailed all the way to Egypt to build the pyramids, while modern PPL holders manage several hundred major airspace busts every year in the UK alone flying 10nm legs at a time.

BEagle
22nd Apr 2008, 22:01
The practice of good visual (VFR) navigation is accurate map reading
Absolutely NOT!! The basis of good VFR navigation is:

PLAN accurately
FLY accurately
THINK AHEAD!

And knowing your ar$e from your elbows, of course.

Map reading is a distinctly secondary skill - merely needed to verify your pre-selected visual waypoints. A VFR GPS most certainly helps - and it can back up your pre-flight GS and ETA estimates, as well as helping with minimising TKE.

Might pop along to this event - anyone else going? I've programmed the location into my Garmin nüvi in case it's too cloudy for a 3-shot astro fix whilst nipping up the Fosse Way and A5...:hmm:

The Nr Fairy
23rd Apr 2008, 06:37
I'd love to get a grasp of some of the different nav techniques out there, if only to be able to better instruct. However, Burton on Trent is a bit of a hack from Wiltshire.

Would there be someone, acknowledged as an expert by their peers, who'd consider doing something like this more locally ? Or are there some decent books about ?

Rod1
23rd Apr 2008, 07:52
ESFC contacted the institute of navigators and they are coming up to give us a talk. I am sure you could get the same if you contact them. I will report back on if it is worth the effort…

Rod1

Whirlybird
23rd Apr 2008, 07:55
I'd love to get a grasp of some of the different nav techniques out there, if only to be able to better instruct.

I'm going if I can manage it, just for that reason. If there's anything really good related to instructing, particularly in helicopters, I'll try to pass it on to you, Nr Fairy.

Talking of helicopters, the trouble is that most nav techniques seem to depend on you having two hands free in the cockpit, at least for a short while. :{

poss
23rd Apr 2008, 08:17
Unfortunately i'll be in Southampton, is there anyone who would be as kind as to film it and upload it to the net?? (with the lecturers permission of course).