PDA

View Full Version : Terminal 5 and RAF Movers

occhips
21st Apr 2008, 19:13
Is it true that the RAF's Finest are now running T5? I thought I was on my way to TELIC for a mo:rolleyes:- Bags lost, delayed flights, Nobody prepared to take responsibility for anything .... I reckon that they have introduced the Basrah model into Heathrow ....I did ask, but nobody was about to give me an answer...

November4
21st Apr 2008, 19:25
:bored:

Oh well it has been a year or so since the last Mover bashing thread :zzz:

gar170
21st Apr 2008, 19:49
OCChips

If you got all the answers then why not transfer to the movement's trade i am sure they will be in ore with all your experience

N Joe
21st Apr 2008, 19:57
Realising that I'm vulnerable to the charge of taking this too seriously, I've never had a problem with RAF Movers. In fact, the only thing that kept Mrs Joe vaguely sane when she arrived in Goose Bay was the fact that our indulged PEs were delivered to our quarter within 24 hours of our arrival - thanks Raz & Matt!

However, can't say the same of the Army Movers as I spent a week at Kabul with just my webbing, rifle and laptop. Fortunately, my bags were with those owned by 2 Herc aircrew, one of whom arranged a dedicated flight down to Camp B@st@rd, where the bags had last been seen. He found our bags under a rapidly forming sand dune right next to the Movers' tent.

N Joe

occhips
21st Apr 2008, 20:00
Sadly mate, somebody may be doing that for my "Branch" over the next few weeks... Do not take my light hearted banter to heart. I could manage when bags never got back to me on R and R from Telic, I was more than happy to go and buy some clothes to wear whilst i was back in the UK for a week.. And to be told to that I could not claim for it.... I am only laughing at the fun of it all.....

amb_211085
21st Apr 2008, 20:20
I am only laughing at the fun of it all.....

I'm impressed. The RAF usually have a sense of humour failure at, well, everything!

On_The_Top_Bunk
21st Apr 2008, 22:00
OCChips

If you got all the answers then why not transfer to the movement's trade i am sure they will be in ore with all your experience

Would that be Iron Ore or Bauxite?

Mr C Hinecap
22nd Apr 2008, 05:44
It won't be an issue soon - the slop-jockeys will be under Logs rather than Admin - then occhips can see whether he is part of the problem as well :E

minigundiplomat
1st May 2008, 10:19
I can honestly say that on the rotary world we dont have regular bust ups with the movers like Mr Chinecap seems to. There again, we do load our own aircraft.

Mr-Burns
1st May 2008, 10:24
Excellent - been ages since we had a go at the movers. What a bunch of fat, self opinionated, incompetent, flying-suit wearing, ignorant, abusive, illiterate, non-operational tossers.

I thank you.

Mr B

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st May 2008, 10:45
"Excellent - been ages since we had a go at the movers. What a bunch of fat, self opinionated, incompetent, flying-suit wearing, ignorant, abusive, illiterate, non-operational tossers."

I thought movers had stopped wearing flying suits and were now operating in DP........................ but the rest of that tirade seems to fit them to a "T" :E

Jumping_Jack
1st May 2008, 12:48
....non operational....:rolleyes:. Someone showing their ignorance there then.....:ugh:

cornish-stormrider
1st May 2008, 13:11
Well then, how about we substitute "non-operational" with "operationally incompetent and inept"

How hard can it be? put bags for flight X onto airframe X at right time in right order so first off get bags out first.

Maybe they could tender it out to someone without huge chips on shoulders, all that time around the aircraft and never allowed to operate it.

Does it help your bags any if you bribe the movers at the start with beer? They must have some sort of secret marking to fit which makes your bag go to the right place......
After all, movers don't lose their own bags now do they?

Mr-Burns
1st May 2008, 13:21
Excellent - keep it up chaps. And another thing - most of the female movers I've seen have a face like an earthworm !!!

RolyFirkinQC
1st May 2008, 14:41
Excellent - keep it up chaps. And another thing - most of the female movers I've seen have a face like an earthworm !!!

So you married one then??....:D

Mr C Hinecap
1st May 2008, 14:46
I can honestly say that on the rotary world we dont have regular bust ups with the movers like Mr Chinecap seems to. There again, we do load our own aircraft.

What on earth are you gibbering on about man? Other than some of the decision-makers around the Movs Trade, I'll fight their corner every time. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I refer to Admin Catering Officers coming into the Logs world, therefore occhips could perhaps see what things are like from the other side - rather than believing he is great and they are not.

Army Mover
1st May 2008, 14:46
However, can't say the same of the Army Movers as I spent a week at Kabul with just my webbing, rifle and laptop.You had a laptop as well !!! Drat; still, you'll be back :E

Mr-Burns
1st May 2008, 14:54
You had a laptop as well !!! Drat; still, you'll be back :E

- Now thats funny :D

November4
1st May 2008, 15:38
:hmm: 18 posts and no one has said anything about having their Gerber confiscated by the Movers yet.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

plebby 1st tourist
1st May 2008, 16:39
Damn, so close; I had my Gerber confiscated, but by the ATSy RAFP guys, and never saw it again.

*THREAD DRIFT ALERT*

Now Snowdrops, they really are B@st@rds.....

Echo 5
1st May 2008, 18:31
Mr-Burns,

You had a laptop as well !!! Drat; still, you'll be back

If you had posted thus;

You had a laptop as well !!! Drat; still, you'll be back

then people wouldn't think there was an echo. ;)

Mighty Quercus
1st May 2008, 19:10
Heathrow T5 with its multi-million pound state of the art baggage system that has failed so dramatically and you have RAF Brize Norton and its woefuly undermanned Movers that are so easy to blame for every bag lost, every aircraft tech fault/delay etc etc etc...

Willie Walsh justs throws more money and manpower at the problem. Would like to see Slightly Brown do the same. Until he does, live with it guys and stop the gripes.

Same old stories just cut and pasted from the last posts you all made.

cornish-stormrider
2nd May 2008, 08:18
Excuse me, but I know what I am talking about. It's all rumours, lies and banter. But I know I am talking about it:hmm:

Movers: Noun, a colloquial (sp) for a trade in the RAF which have been proven by science to be only two (small) steps from fossilised rhino dung. They are characterised by a petty adherance to rules and beauracracy (sp), a massive amount of inertia and their belief that they are a vital cog in the machine. A scientific study and experiment has proved that were the movers removed there would be a minor hiccup for abour 3 weeks until the rest of the forces learned to improvise their way around the huge task of loading their own bags and then the lost bag ratio would drop to an infinitesimally small percentage.

Wader2
2nd May 2008, 09:57
Damn, so close; I had my Gerber confiscated, but by the ATSy RAFP guys, and never saw it again.

*THREAD DRIFT ALERT*

Now Snowdrops, they really are B@st@rds.....

Gerbils, it'll be hamsters and pet mice next.

RolyFirkinQC
2nd May 2008, 10:04
It will be a 'Dear Diary' moment when we actually see a Loadmaster loading an aircraft. God forbid.:ooh:

blanket.stacker
2nd May 2008, 10:42
....and back on to thread!

It's not RAF Movs messing with T5, but (credit where credit's due) I did hear that an ex-RLC 1* was Director of Logistics for the T5 project:ok:. Hope he's not getting performance related pay.....

Door Slider
2nd May 2008, 11:57
"It will be a 'Dear Diary' moment when we actually see a Loadmaster loading an aircraft. God forbid."

Goto any rotary sqn then.

cornish-stormrider
2nd May 2008, 12:12
In all my time on 33 (not too long admittedly) I only ever saw loadies carrying:
1. Butty Boxes
2. GPMG and ammo
3. Their own bags
4. The Pilot.....

buoy15
2nd May 2008, 16:55
The Movers (the workforce) actually do a reasonable job - it's the UKMAMS arseh*les (listen to me, I've got a red armband) that pisses people off:p

Echo 5
2nd May 2008, 17:19
Seldomfit,

Please check your PMs

Mr C Hinecap
2nd May 2008, 17:21
Is that a red armband with a sort of wheel thingy on it? Can you describe it for me? Please?

November4
2nd May 2008, 18:12
it's the UKMAMS arseh*les

Oh do keep up with the name changes....UKMAMS is now AMW made up of 44 & 45 MAMS.

Must admit, and as Mr CH is alluding, the only time I saw a "MAMS type" with a red arm band he was Army....

Army Mover
2nd May 2008, 23:17
Is that a red armband with a sort of wheel thingy on it? Can you describe it for me? Please?Noooo, that's the NATO recognised movcon symbol (and what the Army Movers wear); RAF Movers have a little yellow "mov" on their red armband; except in Norway where they should wear a white one, or the NATO version - apparently the RAF version has/had some Nazi reference that upsets the Norwegians. But I guess you knew all this eh ??? :E

c130jbloke
3rd May 2008, 04:28
apparently the RAF version has/had some Nazi reference that upsets the Norwegians.

Not as much as being pi§§ed on by bootnecks :}:}. Now that really gets them going....

Mr C Hinecap
3rd May 2008, 06:07
:D

Thanks Army Mover. I was hoping to elicit that from someone else on the thread. You have missed out the 'other' RAF Movs armband as well - the rarely seen and rarest of all in public (but owned by a few). :E

RolyFirkinQC
3rd May 2008, 06:50
Do you honestly think someone earning 50k a year would do the dirty work when they have men to do it for them?

Certainly not.They may dirty their flying suits....or worse, break a finger nail. Best they stick to what they do best. Serving coffee to the Capt and Co.

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2008, 09:03
Why can't we all just get along? Save your gripes for a government that supplies us with insufficent resources to meet the demands they place upon us. Its not like we enjoy messing people around :E

Blakey875
3rd May 2008, 09:37
Oh Dear -So the p****ng contest has begun again? Non-Operational? Tell that to the Oggy Mover who was rocketed on tha pans in Basrah last year and life was saved by a regular Mover...
Rotary crewmen loading their own cabs - well yes as long as it is the size of a car boot - otherwise it is done for them by the Movers on JHSU?
What happened to that female Herc crewperson who wrote that fantastic article for the papers - criticising all the untermenchen? We need her back now to divert the flaK! And what's your pedigree Cornish Pasty?

ALM In Waiting
3rd May 2008, 10:51
Been on one side of the fence and going to be on the other, if streaming goes my way...:hmm:

TheWizard
3rd May 2008, 12:52
Rotary crewmen loading their own cabs - well yes as long as it is the size of a car boot - otherwise it is done for them by the Movers on JHSU?

Oh please......................:yuk:

The COB is not the centre of the universe (actually, perhaps it is for some :rolleyes:)

Mobile Muppet
3rd May 2008, 14:12
Yaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnn, close the thread.

While a bit of banter is good for morale, complete disrespect for each other makes you all look as child like and pathetic as an MP. Stop squabbling like kids and get on with life !

MM

Green Flash
3rd May 2008, 14:33
Picture the scene - Civil Servant responsible for funding (or not) the Movements world is just sitting back in his chair after ticking the box on his annual report marked 'divide and rule'. He thinks to himself 'Hmm, I'll just go for a coffee and then present the boss with my plan to privatise the whole lot of 'em - that'll save money, surely, and I'll get my bonus'.

Two more observations, if I may. Stronger together. Sh!t happens.

Now, lets get on with it, shall we?

adrian mole
3rd May 2008, 14:45
GF - Both you and Boris get my vote...

Army Mover
3rd May 2008, 15:50
Thanks Army Mover. I was hoping to elicit that from someone else on the thread. You have missed out the 'other' RAF Movs armband as well - the rarely seen and rarest of all in public (but owned by a few).LOL - You mean the DAMO/WAMO one? In my day the DAMO was the first out of the door - normally on the end of his shift WO's toe-cap; we followed to find out what he/she would do next. :eek:

Anyway, bringing this screaming back on thread; I was of the opinion from reading the other threads on the T5 disaster, it would appear that it was the IT systems that have caused most of the problems, plus a bit of alleged intransigence by some of the ground-staff.

Someone else made a reference to an ex-RLC 1*, I checked that out - one name was almost familiar - :uhoh:

Backwards PLT
3rd May 2008, 16:07
Two differences between mil movers and the T5 fiasco:

1. T5 had bucket loads of cash thrown at it
2. Two very senior people in BA lost their jobs over it

Interesting, no?

Okay not, but hey hum.

Echo 5
3rd May 2008, 16:46
Blakey,

What happened to that female Herc crewperson who wrote that fantastic article for the papers - criticising all the untermenchen?

I must have missed that. Can you send me a link or Email a copy of said article. Ta :)

Mobile Muppet...............Nice to see you back. :D

Blakey875
4th May 2008, 09:05
Echo - I have e-mailed the article to you and hope you receive ok? Nice comment she made about not sleeping with the other women as someone may drop a pencil and wake her up...

Echo 5
4th May 2008, 16:32
Blakey,

Thanks for that. I seem to remember it got some attention here on Prune a few months back. Got to say that the comments by some of the Times readers were of better entertainment value than the article itself which shall we say was a bit..............girly:)

cornish-stormrider
6th May 2008, 10:23
Good grief there are a load of moaning old muppets who seem to have forgotten what banter means......??

It wouldn't be cricket if we didn't criticise the movers, we start on the plumbisters next month and the autumn is slated for the snowdrop/pigs/fun police.

Wheras I realise that about 85% of the people are working real hard for the war effort, I bet I could find some REMF's out there. They probably hang around the airconditioned huts with the shiny expensive vehicles moaning to all and sundry just how vital their role is.....

The workers will be knee deep in ****, under fire and not had a day off in months.

And they still have a sense of humour.

Alber Ratman
6th May 2008, 17:07
Talking about 44 & 45.

Comedy would be the word I would use, although other more damming words should apply. Some of them are the least professional people I have seen in a long time:ugh:

And they treat the outside of their accomodation as a dustbin.:ugh:

Echo 5
6th May 2008, 19:43
ratty1,

Quote:
I bet I could find some REMF's out there.

Blakey and echo would be a good start. Oops nearly forgot mobile muppet.

I would suggest that you don't know WTF you are talking about.

BTW as you haven't bothered to complete a personal profile perhaps you would care to enlighten us as to what your contribution has been in recent ( or indeed any ) conflicts. :=

cornish-stormrider
7th May 2008, 09:00
ROTFLMAO,
There appears to be someone on this thread with a large chip on shoulder and a huge desire to tell everyone they be fighting the fight............

I say (within the realms of OPSEC, obviously) do tell. You are obviously soo desperate to let us know.

Just two points,

1. Team, 99.5% of the RAF exists to enable the "Master Race" to put an airframe where required, when required. Be that SH, AT, AAR, FJ, SAR and anything else I have neglected.

2. Every single hero and warrior I have ever met has been modest, self depracating(sp) and humble.

REMF's tend to be loud. draw your own conclusions.

Echo 5
7th May 2008, 09:39
cornish-stormrider,

Seriously. I've been sitting here trying to work out " ROTFLMAO " without success. Please put me out of my misery :ugh:

Al R
7th May 2008, 10:15
Echo,

ROTFLMAO = Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off.

ROTFLMFAO for the less refined :=.

cornish-stormrider
7th May 2008, 10:38
Al in that case mine ought to be ROTFLMVFAO :eek:

Not that I have put on a few stone since my downgrading and PVR:E

A diet of guinness, sugar and painkillers works a treat for all you narcisstic gym queens out there........

Echo 5
7th May 2008, 11:34
Thanks for that Al R.