PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Theory (AudioBook)

miket_68
21st Apr 2008, 12:22
Hi all.

Having just started studying for my ATPL's I am now looking for other methods of learning / revising the subjects.

I spend between 15 - 20 hours a week travelling and I am interested in an Audio book version of the ATPL Theory subjects - Not Just the Comms, everything.

Anyone on here know if one exists ?

Seems a waste of 20 hours a week studying time.

Oh I am driving otherwise I would drag out my laptop on the train like everyone else.

Thanks In advance.

captain_rossco
21st Apr 2008, 12:44
By my reckoning a full set of manuals cost about £300-600?
Now with minimum wage nearing £6 per hour that should give you between 50 and 100 hours of service from your very own book reader! And what with the Polish invasion at its peak, you can probably half that hourly rate!

There you have it, not exactly books on tape, but read aloud none the less!

Regards
CR

Shiver me timbers!
21st Apr 2008, 14:01
There are quite a few aviation podcasts on iTunes you could check out.

They're not exactly ATPL audio books but I guess they make for more constructive listening than radio 1.

Whirlygig
21st Apr 2008, 16:38
How about recording them yourself? And then play them back in the car?

I did that for my accountancy studies and worked to an extent - the mathematical examples were tricky but for for law, it did help to get the facts to sink in.

Cheers

Whirls

Mirogster, Capt Rossco's comment was hardly fascist - in the UK, it's true! I can't say whether it's a good or bad thing but there are many Eastern Europeans in the UK who will work for half the legal minimum wage.

captain_rossco
21st Apr 2008, 21:59
Recording is definitely a mighty fine idea, I too did that for air law, such a barbaric list of facts and figures can be pretty well embedded into one's brain after hearing them over and over. Good call.

RTN11
13th May 2008, 12:35
I am about to start my ATPL groundschool, and I will be driving for about an hour a day.

I punched ATPL Audio into Google, and there are loads of torrents to download. Some of them are labelled as "JAA ATPL Oxford Complete ATPL". I havn't downloaded any, so I'm not sure of the quality or legality of them, but it's an option.

I might have a go at recording some myself. Perhaps we could get a network going where we record one each and then swap?

crap pilot
13th May 2008, 13:09
When I was doing the ATPLs I searched for some audio or video/DVD to suppliment the reading and help it sink in but was unable to find anything. It seems like there could be money to be made in this as there is deffinatly a demand for it.

Superpilot
13th May 2008, 15:28
It seems like there could be money to be made in this as there is deffinatly a demand for it.

Being the clever type :8 I thought of doing this but then thought about the customer base. Let's see what we got. Tight arsed, cash scrapped wannabes who'd probably just rip the audio and flog it on ebay for a pound ago :rolleyes:. So left it!

On the other hand, what I did do was record myself reading out aloud feedback questions and then stating the correct answer. I listened to that for months on end, and I think it worked! ;)

RTN11
13th May 2008, 15:55
There are a couple of audio tapes on transair.co.uk, but only for morse and a couple of PPL things. I agree with the original poster here that commuting time sitting in a car every day is wasted when it could be used to learn something!