PDA

View Full Version : David Dixon (Former Chairman Helicopter Board Of Examiners) RIP

JCR
21st Apr 2008, 10:55
Hello all Helicopter Peeps.

Most of you know that (my uncle) David Dixon not too well at the mo.

A lot of retired/still active helicopter peeps have been in touch with him-which has made his day. Please, If anyone-else wants to come out of the woodwork on this forum- and pass on any message-I will be very happy to print them off and give them to him when I see him next.

Sorry for the strange request!

Jonathan Robinson.

cmacltd
21st Apr 2008, 13:48
Hi Jonathan, Very sorry to hear that David is currently under the weather. Please give him my best. He will remember me for being Ch Eng at Manns in another life, and I will remember him for being one of the (few) pilots, who could make extremely intelligent comments on a flying snag when asked. Current bio on website www.cmacltd.net which you could print off also? Best ~ CW

Ed Thrust IV
21st Apr 2008, 14:19
Please give him my best wishes from the writer of "Dead dog Blues" and ask him to 'Skype' me anytime he feels like a chat.

JCR
21st Apr 2008, 15:06
To you both-thank you so much! Will pass this on. He's not able to get near a computer at the mo-so he's unable to reply-but will def print this off and read them to him.

Thank you.

JR.

DennisK
21st Apr 2008, 16:46
Hi all on here,

Our David is indeed in poor shape and it seems he has the dreaded big C of his liver.

A truly super guy and a great pilot and young Georgie tells me that the plan is to have him home as soon as the hospital will agree to release him.

Young Georgie tells me David would welcome seeing some of his flying mates, and as soon as he is back home, I am planning to make a visit. I'm based near Hemel Hempstead and if another guy or guys would like to join me, the idea would be to go as a small gang (2 or 3) to give David some cheer at a very difficult time.

Jonathon ... will be making contact with you on this aspect.

It may be a couple of weeks yet though.

Take care all,

Dennis Kenyon.

JCR
21st Apr 2008, 17:05
DK.

Thank You.

JR.

Pofman
21st Apr 2008, 17:29
Jonathan
Please wish Dave all the best from his instructor from 705.He was one of the few students who allowed you to close your eyes and relax on the way back to Culdrose from Predannack. Haven't seen him for many years and Hi from Mike Bowden too.
GH

JCR
21st Apr 2008, 17:42
Will do.

One of the previous posters P.M'd me wanting David's number (he has a private phone next to his bed)-so I rang DD to ask if it was OK to give out his number-his reply was that he would love to hear from ANY of his old mates in the industry.

So-please feel free to P.M. me and I will pass on the number.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for all the good feedback. :D

JR.

Snarlie
21st Apr 2008, 20:34
Best wishes from one who was around Culdrose in 1967-68 about the same time as David was training. I have a lasting memory of him downing a yard of ale (albeit temporarily!) in the Prince of Wales at Newtown St Martin. Even covered in second hand Devenish he managed to look cool!

JCR
21st Apr 2008, 20:43
That's DD......

A pint of Adnams was smuggled in to the hospital....... It went down the hatch pretty sharpish I hear.......

Will keep this forum posted.

Anyone needs to talk to me: am working at EGLG.

JR.

Pat Cox
21st Apr 2008, 21:03
Jonathan,

Please pass on to D-squared (as I call him) a hearty greetings from myself and the gang here at Robinson Helicopter Company! :ok:

Warm regards,
Pat

JCR
21st Apr 2008, 21:13
Hello Pat!

Will do. Hello to you all from me. Please, best to FR, Tim T and anyone else who I knew.

DD will be thrilled to hear from you.

JR

spinwing
22nd Apr 2008, 09:58
G'day David ....if you happen to be reading ......

You might remember me as the brash Ozzie to came to you for my ATPL GFT reviews when you were at Trent (Cranfield) back in 1980.

Why you employed me to instruct for you afterwards still astounds me .... but there you go ... sorry to hear your not well ..... keep grinning :E

Cheers Mate

estepo
22nd Apr 2008, 15:10
Hi JCR

Hopefully David will remember me calling him 'one take' because he very kindly presented a video on the Philips Decca based 'ap navigator' for me at our house, Barford Court in Surrey in the days before GPS.

Initially, I tried to present it myself but I couldn't get my foot out of my mouth - even less so when I was flying at the same time.

He was as polished at presenting as he was at flying - did the whole video in one morning as if he'd done TV work his entire life.

I'm very sorry to hear he's not well. Please pass him my very best wishes.

Regards

JCR
22nd Apr 2008, 15:27
Will do.

Thanks so much for getting in touch.

Jonathan.

soggyboxers
22nd Apr 2008, 16:44
David and I were on basic training at the same time as he was on the course after mine. I well remember when we were on HMS Bulwark off Cyprus when he got the news that he was finishing his tour early to go and become a QHI. He'd always been a good aviator. He was due to fly out from RAK Akrotiri the next day, but his leaving party was so good that he didn't do any packing, left late and had to leave most of his kit behind. At one time we were drinking a delicious mixture of ouzo with Old Spice aftershave!!

I didn't see him for many years until I was on the Bristow Training School and he came down to demonstrate the R22. He told me that despite any misgivings I had, I'd grow to really like it and he was quite right.

Please pass on to him my very best wishes and I hope he manages to beat it.

Bob

Shawn Coyle
22nd Apr 2008, 17:00
Please pass on my regards - I knew David only briefly when I was at Cranfield with ITPS, but enjoyed my meetings with him. Kind regards from a wandering Canuck.

JCR
22nd Apr 2008, 17:02
Will do!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Most of the navy stories I have heard are non-printable...... :ooh:

Thanks SO much for getting in touch.

Have spoken too DD on the blower today and told him how many peeps have posted and he is over the moon!

Just for the record-he has told me to pass on his number to anyone who who would like a chat so please feel free to P.M. me or contact me at EGLG.

Jonathan.

helimutt
22nd Apr 2008, 21:48
JCR, I have never met DD personally but I can honestly say, he did the slickest EOL I have ever seen in an R22. I will never forget how smooth and easy he made it look. Never seen a better one since.

Best wishes.

JCR
23rd Apr 2008, 05:00
Thank you!

You should see him with a pint of beer...........

JR

wibblewobble
23rd Apr 2008, 06:23
Please pass Dave my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Joe T (Luton/Cranfield 78)

JCR
23rd Apr 2008, 08:49
Will do.

Thank you!

To all well-wishers as of 22.4.08 2200 hours (BST),I printed off everything and posted them (via mail) to DD so he can have a read and a giggle. Will do same with batch 2 by this weekend.

Rang the hospital this morning for a chin-wag. His phone was answered by one of the nurses who explained he couldn't talk as he was doing his "walking" exercise. I passed on my best and said they should make him do a further 10 laps of the ward.

The giggling nurse told me DD's reaction to this was two worded, with the latter being "off"!!!!!!!!!!

The spark is still there!

Will keep this forum posted (bad pun).

DG-Thanks for the e-mail. Means a lot.

Thanks to you all for texts, messages etc. :ok:

JR

FAStoat
23rd Apr 2008, 09:06
What?I cant quite believe another one.I knew David when we were both Teenagers in Henley on Thames in the early sixties.We both went into Flying,but he went Helicoptering and I Fixed wing,and then lost touch.I met him briefly at HSP Leeming,but then again at the Superb Trent Aviation at Cranfield.He was running the Helicopter School,with Black Humphrey running the Fixed wing,all just like CFS!!!!!A wonderful Training organisation.He is a magic guy,and loved life to the full despite many problems,particularly health.Please give my regards and hope all goes well for him.I think the Robinson would never have got off the ground were it not for Dave Dixon.Henley in the 60s,brings back memories of an excellent Boys Training ground,to become Young Men!!!!!!!!!!Spirits up then Dave.:ok:

JCR
23rd Apr 2008, 09:40
Thank you for that.

Agreed 100% on the DD/R22 success.

I've said for years the same.

As before-anyone who wants to speak to him please P.M me or contact me at EGLG and I'll give you his number.

Thanks again SO much.

Jonathan.

FAStoat
23rd Apr 2008, 11:09
Hello again,have sent you a message on pprune.Regards Mike

JCR
23rd Apr 2008, 15:01
M

Have just P.M.'d you.

Best,

Jonathan.

spinwing
24th Apr 2008, 09:33
FAStoat ...

Oooohhhh yes.... "Black Humphry" and "Stanley" Hodgkins (?) was also there.... I shared an office with him ... nearly cost me my bladder used to laugh so much! .... absolutely fantastic really professional bunch to work with .... arrrhhh those were the days.

:ok:

EENGHeliboy
24th Apr 2008, 12:33
JR

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Please send him my best and let him know that I feel privileged to be learning from him through you. A pilot and instructor I aspire to.

Kind regards,

EG

JCR
24th Apr 2008, 14:13
Thanks EG-means a lot.

Up date:

Spoke DD this morning and he has now read the posts that I mailed him a few days ago and he is THRILLED. Will send the next batch off Friday evening.

Thanks to all for all messages/texts/e-mails etc.

One GOOD item of news: Claudia, David's youngest daughter, had her baby this morning-a little boy. Mum and child doing well. DD rang me from his hospital-!-on his mobile (don't tell Matron) over the moon that all is well on this front re Claudia's news in her hospital.

Too many Dixon's in too many hospitals!

Thanks again to all. Will keep all posted.

JR

gldixon
24th Apr 2008, 21:37
Hi Everybody,

I'm Georgie, David Dixon's middle daughter.

Just a quick one to say how nice it is to hear that he has touched so many people in his life......

I have really enjoyed reading this and can't wait to chat about it to him when i see him tommorow in hospital.

JCR
24th Apr 2008, 23:00
Nice one Georgie.

You have control......

JR

Grumpyasever
25th Apr 2008, 20:39
Keep your pecker up, David. Will try to visit when I'm next in London.
George B

JCR
26th Apr 2008, 21:07
Hello all.

Update.

Spoke DD this evening and all as well as can be. Seeing him Monday and will take latest of this with me.

J.

Up & Away
26th Apr 2008, 22:04
greetings

David you did my initial Instructors check ride in Mar'79 at OATS and I was most honoured when you asked me to join you at Trent a few years later.
It was when that Robbo thing came along. I resisted and in fact only got qualified on that type in 2001.. when 9/11 put me back flying helicopters.

Best Wishes David God Bless
ps have you finally worn out your Navy Boots?

spinwing
27th Apr 2008, 00:37
Mmmmmmm .....

Just checked my logbook ....... I've got a whole :10 minutes in a Robinson 22 (as a passenger) hanging on very tightly ...and guess who I was sitting next too whilst this punishment was being undertaken?????

Clue: This happened in the circuit at Cranfield in 1981 ???? :eek:

:E

Ran screaming back to the Jet Ranger (G-OIML) and refused to get out of it for the next year!

JCR
28th Apr 2008, 09:06
:)

Will Pass both those on. Off to see HRH at the hospital today.

J.

Gainesy
28th Apr 2008, 16:38
Is this the David that married Sarah from Flight International?

JCR
28th Apr 2008, 21:14
Gainsey. Yes it is.

Up date time.

Saw his nibs today. Top form. Rather yellow due to either A. Jaundice or B. entering the "who-looks-most-like-Cato-from-the-pink-panther-films" (first prize in both cats) but generally-on REALLY good form....

Gave him the latest print out on all the above. Read out to him some of the more recent additions to this thread and gentlemen (and I use that term carefuly) he identified each and everyone of you from the quotes/years/RN/Trent/Sloane/RHC/CAA/JR/anti R22 comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My/His/Other's MANY thanks.

DD still:) ing!

JR

spinwing
29th Apr 2008, 05:44
MMMM mmmmmmmmmm .........

Well thats f*****g good news (using language DD will understand prefectly).

Cheers Steve :ok:

Gainesy
29th Apr 2008, 07:32
JCR, thank you.

I remember when the Buffalo crashed ("hard landing"):rolleyes: at the Farnborough show, David had been sitting in his Robbo in the static park when a large chunk of errant Buffalo speared the cockpit between him and some punter. Knocking back a large cool one in Flight's chalet he remarked that the fixed/flingwing rivalry was getting "a bit f***ing fierce".

Best wishes Mate.

JCR
29th Apr 2008, 11:03
G.

;)

Jr.

oldbeefer
29th Apr 2008, 12:32
Was the military member of the Panel when David was Chairman - flew with him in a Gazelle during a Panel meeting at Shawbury - most upset when he first fell ill (must be, what, 15 years ago?) and sorry to hear he's poorly now.

JCR
29th Apr 2008, 16:58
Thanks Oldbeefer.

:ok:

NEWS FLASH.

Have been told through the grapevine that they ARE moving DD to a hospital in the village where he lives.

This will enable him to pop home every now and then and there is even a WHISPER that they may let him home with some sort of care assistance.

Will keep all posted.

Best to you all. Fingers crossed!

P.S. Have located a private site in the village where he lives that is a ten minute walk from Chez DD. The Missus and I plan to visit by helicopter asap and I will happily provide PPR details to anyone who wants to fly up-providing I don't make a mess of it. We plan to fly up once a week or so and anyone is welcome to back seat. The Missus (Justine) is hour building for her CPL so its not a prob.

JR

JCR
30th Apr 2008, 12:20
Further news:

Spoke DD this morning and it SEEMS they are happy to send him home-with care being provided-this coming Monday.

That's home-Not the local hospital.

Fingers even more crossed......................

J.

212man
30th Apr 2008, 14:43
What a dignified and eye watering thread. Would that all of us could make our way to the "break in case of emergency" handle in such a manner. God bless :ok:

JCR
30th Apr 2008, 15:44
Thanks 212 Man!

J.

John Eacott
30th Apr 2008, 22:32
JCR,

Our paths only crossed occasionally (I was a pinger, after all ;) ), but please pass on my best wishes to David, and I hope all your plans work out to get him home :D

heliski22
1st May 2008, 08:36
I'll second that, 212man!! Well said!!

Never met DD, but like many others, I watched those EOLs in the R22 video in wide-eyed awe!!

Good luck!

JCR
1st May 2008, 11:19
Thank you so much.

The FABULOUS news is that as of lunchtime Monday, DD will be at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :)

2 of his fab daughters (my fab cousins) are picking him up. The third daughter still busy being a brand new mum.

DD is having "care-visits" 4 times a day from the fab health team once he's home.

Still a very much "let's see what happens" deal-but I know he's busting a gut to get home.

Not that an NHS person will read this-but BIG time thank you to all the staff at Ipswich hospital.

I will post on this when he is home. Most of the regular mob on this forum have his home number-anyone who does not and wants it-please P.M. me.

Fairly certain that one of the reasons they are kicking him out is 1: all the nurses are fed up with being goosed and 2: The local pub has noticed a dramatic fall in sales over the last month or so...........................

Yet again, my huge thanks to all who have got in touch, whether through this, (thanks Pprune), text, e-mail and so on. :D

Will do my best to get HRH to post on this when he can.

FAB bank holiday to you all! I'll be teaching people how to hover in the R22.....or trying to!

JR

DennisK
1st May 2008, 12:00
Jonathon,

I'm in France at the moment. Have you any outline dates when I could join you to visit David.

Or just let me have your radiophone number. Only have you at PH school.

Great news he's going home.

Dennis.

JCR
1st May 2008, 12:13
Bonjour DK

Please telephone me at work over the weekend. If I'm flying, please ask who ever it is you have on the phone for my mobile number.

I left you a voice mail this morning on your mobile and left my number on that.

Hope all well avec vous.

(that's french!) :8

JR.

bast0n
2nd May 2008, 11:43
JCR - I know this chap well. He fancied Gina and could not fly a Wessex as fast or as low as me!! (amongst other things).I have Davids mothers tel No and will use that to gain contact. (unless you suggest differently). I may get up to Aldeburgh next week to tell the smooth person to buck up. Never did obey me though so no high hopes there then. I have done this in large print in defference to his great age.:)

JCR
3rd May 2008, 05:38
Greetings all.

Still all systems go for Monday. Spoke DD yesterday and all good. We sent him some choc to give out to the staff which they liked.

David and Gina: I got your P.M. Have e-mailed to the address you gave me, DD's home number. Any probs-get back to me. By the way-it's Granny Pam-not Pat-!-but most of us in this clan answer to anything!

JR

bast0n
3rd May 2008, 08:13
Thanks JCR - I will do my best to get there somehow. Anyone offering a lift by air from Somerset to Aldeburgh? I will provide inflight rations!

JCR
3rd May 2008, 16:35
Can do EGLG to DD.

JR

JCR
4th May 2008, 08:27
Update, Sunday morning-0930 BST.

Hello all.

DD wasn't too well Saturday and have just spoken to him on the blower and he's not sounding as chipper as he has. Still asked me where I took the missus out to dinner last night though.....

He has therefore made the call NOT to go home Monday-but has asked to be moved to his local village hospital.

Will keep you posted as to when this will happen.

Jonathan.

JCR
5th May 2008, 06:25
Grumpyasever, I have P.M.'d you. Jonathan.

JCR
7th May 2008, 13:17
Update.

DD just rang me (07 May, 1415) to say he is being moved to his local village hospital and sounded VERY pleased about this. He's going in an ambulance and his clan of daughters and grandchildren following in a car. :)

Will keep you all posted.

JR

bast0n
7th May 2008, 20:04
Brilliant -will be there next week. Well done Jonathon. D&G

JCR
8th May 2008, 08:23
D and G-great!

JR

Dick Sanford
10th May 2008, 07:18
Hi JR. So very sorry to hear the news about DD. Can you please give me some contact details, I am in the UK for a bit so would like to go visit.

Please give him my best wishes till I see him.

Dick Sanford.

JCR
10th May 2008, 11:16
Thanks D. Good to hear from you. Please P.M me with some contact info. The E-mail address I have for you from-way-back-when doesn't work.

JR

____________________________________________________________ _____

UPDATE.

Spoke DD last night and he was only feeling so/so. Spoke hospital just now and they said he was feeling better than during the night so rang him. He sounded poorly so just said hi and hello.

Will keep this forum posted.

JR

charlesp
10th May 2008, 19:38
Only just been given this thread by an old friend.. so sorry to hear the news. David gave me my first job on leaving the raf and I'm sure he hated giving a job to a "crab" however my sister was best mates at school with his first wife Alison and together they very kindly put me up until I found some digs... shades of listening to Pachebal's Canon every night after returning from the pub (i think it was the only tape he had) and then raiding the freezer for grub.

At Trent I was the "nice" instructor and he was the "hard man" and it worked really well until I wanted to get "Andy R" solo in some amazing record time of about 5 hours in the bell 47 - so i passed him on to DD for the check before solo - sadly it was a strong wind day and Andy didn't do much of a clearing turn to look behind before he set off. Both he and I got a huge bollocking for not ensuring adherance to sop's.. (he still sent him solo..!)

Years later flying the 737 lgw/edi one day someone heard my name on the pa and came up to talk to me (in the days you could!) it was john, DD's brother who gave me all his sad news then - saw him a couple of times with John and met his gorgeous little daughters (can't believe they are now having children themselves..) but then we have hardly kept in touch, and recently I have wanted to and not known how to... so give him my very best from "charlie P" and pls contact me asap or I will send you a pm.

Charles Pemberton

JCR
11th May 2008, 06:26
CP Fab story! Do P.M. me. Jonathan.

JCR
11th May 2008, 19:02
Everyone.

I'm sitting at DD's desk and I can't believe I'm writing this but I am very sorry to say that he passed away this afternoon.

It was peaceful and dignified and calm.

All his daughters and extended family were present and really, with the sun shining and the warm atmosphere I can't think of a better way, for what was on the cards to happen, to occur.

My phone has gone ****tic since and I can't thank you all enough.

Readers of this may associate DD with funny stories, the success of the R22, the non stop encouragemnt of up and coming pilots-myself included-but may I say, in common, with the context of all the messages I have received-this world has lost a bloody good bloke.

David, I'll miss you so much. God bless.

JR

helimutt
11th May 2008, 20:44
So sorry to hear the news JR, all I have to offer are my condolences to the family.
May he RIP.

bast0n
11th May 2008, 21:18
Oh Jonathan - how very very sad - please pass all our love to the family and let them know how we are thinking of them. The great thing is that we have so many more happy memories of David than sad ones. Great chap, great friend, great pilot, and how sad we did not keep in better touch these past years. A chip has fallen off the block of aviation history. Lots of Love, David and Gina XXX

spinwing
11th May 2008, 23:12
" Great chap, great friend, great pilot"....... A chip has fallen off the block of aviation history....."

Hear Hear!

God bless DD R.I.P.

........ and I'll bet he's already gotten a place at the BIG bar!

Spinwing .... Melbourne Australia :(

FAStoat
12th May 2008, 13:22
Yes,I second all the above.It is a very sad time,when so many good guys are falling over.I count myself very grateful to have managed to speak to "Old Boy" only a few days ago,and to have laughed over so old memories of the 60s and 70s.I send my deepest condolencies to all his Family,that I never managed to meet,having not seen Dave since the early 80s.I did manage to send him a Card to celebrate his latest Grandchild.So then Dave,I will have several sups and a few gulpers for you.Yours,Aye,Mike:ok:

heliski22
12th May 2008, 15:03
Jonathan,

Very well done to you, sir, for such a tremendous effort on DD's behalf. As 212man noted earlier, "what a dignified.....thread".

I'm sure many people will have been pleased to have had the opportunity to pass on best wishes and/or renew contact with an old friend/acquaintance during what turned out to be his final days.

May he Rest in Peace.

Pofman
12th May 2008, 17:12
Jonathan,

Thank you for putting me back in touch. When I called we picked up where we left off years ago.
Please pass on my condolences to the family and let them know he was a great guy.
RIP Dave.
G

JCR
12th May 2008, 20:46
My Goodness-reading that made the floodgates open. Thank you for such amazing kindness.

Justine (my missus) and I, got back from Suffolk this evening. It's been tough.

Need to start off with a public :D to my wife Justine. She dropped me off yesterday to David's village from EGLG in her Dad's R44 and then flew home. Must have been tough dropping off her near batty hubby and then flying back all that way. Poor girl has been worried sick about DD. She got the call from me 1630 with the awful news and then flew BACK to me and supported the family and me before departing zero-dark-thirty this morning-all the way back- to pick up her sister fresh from her arrival from the US. This after feeding the whole clan at DD's place last night. She than picked up DD's great mate S.R and flew him up to us in A. She has been the most FANTASTIC wife in the world. I flew Justine and S.R. back to EGLG this evening. Justine-THANK YOU. Uncle David never got to fly with you but a few weeks ago he saw a video of you flying your machine and he was SO proud of you. I am so proud of you. THANK you. You're a bloody good little Pilot and DD would be SO touched for all the running around you have done today, safely, sensibly and in such a RELAXED manner.

I am so Impresssed.

Sorry about the public thank you to Mrs R. Needed to be said!

The family.

S, C and G. Your Dad would be SO proud of you the way you have handled youselves yesterday, today-and I am sure the future. The way you have dealt with this cruel blow would/should make anyone and everyone stop and think about the next time anyone and everyone faces a crisis. I may be the old fart cousin-but Boy have I learnt from you today some things.

DD.

I got to have 20/30 minutes talking to you yesterday. I hope you got the message. I meant what I said.

To you all:

The texts, posts-on-this-forum, the voice mails and so on have left me ........humble. Thank you. For the last couple of months I have read or told DD of all the care, love, messages of support, hang-in-there, "we're here", "do you remember........", "you were wrong", "you-were right", "it's your round.........." etc etc (it could go on!) but I just want to say that DD would just be SO........................ Well, So "DD like".

Thank you to you all.

Anyone need further info-please feel free to get in touch.

My very best to you all.

Jonathan.

soggyboxers
13th May 2008, 06:13
David old colleague, so much has been said about you here, and all true. The world of rotary aviation has lost a great pilot and good bloke, but at least I'm happy that his your final passing was peaceful. RIP.

My sincere condolences to all of David's family and friends.

Jonathan, thank you for putting me i touch with him again; I'm very happy to have been given the opportunity for no-matter how brief a time to have been able to have a last talk with him after so many years.

uncle ian
13th May 2008, 09:12
Sadly I picked up this thread too late to speak to DD. Just like to add my name to the long list of those who admired, respected and counted DD a friend.

Ian Evans

Dick Sanford
13th May 2008, 10:09
God Bless you David, thanks for talking me into becoming an instructor. Many years ago at LHR on our way to the HAI DD and I made a pact "life was short so we would drink more Champagne from there on in". To this day whenever I have a glass of fizz, I think of that pact. A few months later I got the first call from S, DD's wife to say that he had just sufferd the stroke. Take note; "life is short, drink more Champagne"

JR Please let me know the time and date.

My best wishes to you all.

Dick Sanford
13th May 2008, 10:13
[email protected]

JCR
13th May 2008, 10:37
Thanks all.

JR.

UPDATE:

The funeral is on Wednesday, May 21st, at the Catholic church in A. I believe it starts at 1100 but I am not yet sure of the time-will post more details when I know them.

I am saying this on this forum further to various requests to me about the date and time as John (DD's brother) [my other uncle] has said that ALL are welcome. Please feel free to turn up and celebrate with us the best bloke in the world.

Just to repeat that-ALL ARE WELCOME.

Dennis Kenyon can you please ring me ASAP.

Thanks again all.

JR

gldixon
13th May 2008, 12:55
Hello All,

I am Georgie, David's middle daughter.

I would just like to say on behalf of his three daughters, myself, Charlotte, Claudia and our Mother Sarah that we are all so grateful for the lovely messages and posts that you have all been leaving.

Its so nice to see the amount of people that Dad has touched over the years...it just proves what an amazing person he really was.....and the best Dad anyone could ask for!!

gldixon
13th May 2008, 13:00
Sorry i forgot to mention that when it comes to the funeral could all you men pull out the brightest bow ties you have in memory of Dad-as i am sure you are aware that Dad was renowned for his bow-tie wearing antics in the aviation industry!!!

timprice
14th May 2008, 19:27
Sorry to hear about DD passing away, he taught me to fly at Trent helicopters in 1980 it was hard flying with him, but he was a very good instructor, didnt know him socially, RIP

best wishes to his family at this sad time

Tim Price

JCR
15th May 2008, 11:32
Hello all.

Just to confirm the funeral this Wednesday, the 21st, DOES start at 1100.

Post code of Church is: IP15 5HJ.

ANYONE, and we mean ANYONE who is part of the Rotary world is welcome.

Any probs-queries-questions-P.M. me.

Thank you AGAIN for all the nice messages.

JR

LOONRAT
18th May 2008, 10:10
Just heard the sad news and picked up this thread to see just how many friends DD made over the years and the high regard everyone had for him. We first met in 1976 when he undertook my B206 conversion and, in between flying with the RAT, I freelanced at Trent helicopters to help out. Each time we met I joked about the next 'Huge Thing' I was looking for and it became a standing opening line from him when we hooked up over the next 30 odd years, 'Found that huge thing' he would say. Well David you certainly found it in life with a caring and loving family combined with friends who count themselves lucky enough to have known you. May you rest in peace.

JCR
18th May 2008, 10:34
Loonrat-!-Thank you. JR

____________________________________________________________ __

Update:

Justine and I meeting with Dennis K on Monday evening to get the Obit rolling.

____________________________________________________________ __

J and I travelling up to A on Tues afternoon and staying till Thurs. All funeral plans sorted.

I shall be taking a print out of ALL this with me so people can read it after the funeral at the hotel.

Anyone who can not attend is welcome to put pen to paper-or finger to keyboard in this case-on this forum,with anything they want to say, so peeps can read it on the day.

Thanks again to ALL.

Jonathan.

casaelsa
19th May 2008, 15:39
Sarah told us about this site, only wish we had known earlier. So desperately sad about David, please pass our our condolences and best thoughts and wishes to the whole family and especially John and June. We talk with Sarah and the girls quite regularly but haven't seen John or June since the '70's!!!!

We worked with David in the 70's and 80's and have some wonderful memories, (too many to list here!) he was a truly great guy. Unfortunately Mike's health is not good and we are sitting here in Mallorca in the rain so we will be unable to attend on Wednesday but will be there in spirit with you all. Hope the bow ties will be in evidence and that you give him a great send-off.

Mike and Sue Strangways

JCR
19th May 2008, 17:00
Hello Sue and Mike!

Sarah told me that she had been in touch with you. Thank you for the nice things you have said about DD.

I remember you both VERY well from the Trent days. DD gave me my first ever ride in a helicopter, a 206, something something charlie hotel when I was 9! I then did quite a lot of loading for you. 2 events I remember were the "white-rhino-park" at Whipsnade and somewhere in Silsoe. It was those early seeds that got me started in this damn business!

Happy days!

I'm sorry to hear Mike not so well. Please give him my best and I know you will both be with us all-in spirit-on Wed.

Best wishes,

Jonathan.

spinwing
19th May 2008, 22:03
JCR ...

I remember flying one of those Trent "White Rhino Park thingys" .... was flying G-OIML .... Trents 206 at the time .... musta been early '82 or thereabouts .....

Remember DD briefing me in the Public Bar ...oops ... Ahhh.... "Ops Room" the day before ...... "No problems with this job" (he said) "easy" .... were doing from inside one of the Rhino pens! .... "Oh Yeah" (says I) ... "and where will the Rhino's be then?" .... ....

"Where do you F****NG THINK ... they'll be watching you closer than the CAA!" says he! (and he was right too) :E

Oh Yes ....those were the days! :ok:

My thoughts (and memories) will be with you and the congregation on Wednesday ... I am only sorry to be so far away.

Regards Steve Jacobs Melbourne Australia

choclit runway
20th May 2008, 08:33
I would like to echo loonrats sentiments of being one of the lucky many who had the honour of knowing DD. His reputation proceeded him and he commanded respect from all those around him.

I'm not much of one for Helicopters as JR will no doubt be happy to confirm but the industry has indeed suffered a great loss in DD's death.

Outside of the aviation world all I can say is that he was a geat one for a chunk of cheddar, a good red, and having a bloody good laugh to boot about subjects I wouldn't discuss on a public forum. JR, when I think back to 'that summer' my memories are like a real life Benny Hill sketch... All nurses, barmaids and inuendo!... And you two taking the p*ss remorselessly out of the Cabair coloured seat covers of my old BX... Got the 3 of us to the pub and back well enough though!:ok:

My sincere condolences to the family, my thoughts are with you all.

Sleep well David.

JCR
20th May 2008, 09:05
Jules.

Thank you.

JR.

DennisK
20th May 2008, 19:49
Hallo guys,

I was wth JR last evening talking through some of the treasured memories of David Dixon. One particular story I have mentioned elsewhere is the time in the 1970s when David visited our new business at Shoreham to take a look at the spanking new Enstrom.

I knew the Enstrom marque pretty well, and soon found myself watching David entering a full autorotation to the ground ... now I know the man is ex military trained, is one of the UK's very top instructors and examiners, and probably has zillions of hours. But this is a new type to him, and I'm intrigued to see how he will cope in a type he hasn't flown before.

All I can say is the man completed as good an engine off landing to the ground as I had ever seen.

Yes David was a giant of our industry, a charming guy and an immensely competent pilot. I just wish I'd known the David better to have partaken in some of the more robust outings I read about here.

So the purpose of my post is I to say I am tasked with writing a tribute for the aviation press. I refuse to call it an obituary! I need lots of anecdotes, stories and experiences any of you guys have of the great, late David Dixon. Please either post them here, or e-mail me on [email protected].

Thanks to all and a fond farewell to a wonderful man and pilot.

Thanks,

Dennis Kenyon.

Agusta
21st May 2008, 19:36
Sorry to hear that David has passed on, my sympathy to all the family.

I first came across David as a mature student doing work experience at Sloane Helicopters and latterly when I was working there, after David had had his stroke. I use to come across him at functions and show like Helitech, he always had time to stop and have a chat with me. Another friend in the industry had been in contact with David recently and said he was on form as ever.

I, as many did, held a great respect for David.

RIP David and may you heavenly autorotation be smooth ones.

twomags
21st May 2008, 19:43
Not having met DD I can only offer my greatest sympathies to his family and all who knew him, and it seems like a lot of people!

Jonathan, you have done a wonderful job of keeping eveyone informed and helping DD catch up with so many old friends when he needed them.

I hope the funeral went well and I'll see you both soon.

Best wishes

Ian

JCR
22nd May 2008, 13:45
Thank you so much for that.

The funeral was...... well, it was tough for all but I think DD would have been SO touched by the turn out and all the love that was in the space for him.

C, G and C: Your tribute was simply FAB and DD would have been SO proud of you.

To you all, he may be gone but I believe he is still with us all in us all.

Jonathan.

S500e
11th Aug 2023, 10:54
Please pass Dave my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Joe T (Luton/Cranfield 78)
Hi David
Thank you for putting up with my limited heli flying skills at Cranfield on the Bell47 training helicopter. Roger Cookson and Ian Morris both flew with my G-CHOP and G- BGMU G3 B1 models and later I managed to get my licence on gyroplanes with David Beavers and Roger Savage. The wonderful Gay Barrett was Alec Wortley Helicopter’s Chief Pilot and Ian Normand used to visit any site operations we had in Wales
Now living in Thailand my wife Nong and I are still into flying ad we breed geese and ducks as pets- the duckling and goslings are so adorable and very easy to sell or give to friends

Georg1na
12th Aug 2023, 16:28
Just found this. David at the bottom of our garden taking daughters for a whizz! Happy memories. We used to have engine off contests at Culdrose into the sandpit.D

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1713x1154/dixon_c446d8cb2ff50a521b8aac9f052fe690813a1ba5.jpg

hargreaves99
20th Nov 2023, 20:43
this appears to be Captain David Dixon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYgm1Sus_U

Georg1na
21st Nov 2023, 10:13
It certainly is - a thourouhly good egg he was! D