PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts

Rwy in Sight
20th Apr 2008, 19:59
When the embarkation is in progress, do seat belts have to be fasten, or they have to be once the a/c starts to move? The reasoning is that while boarding take place the a/c does not move and if an emergency evacuation is necessary seat belts will slow the process down.

Any ideas?

Rwy in Sight

jetset lady
20th Apr 2008, 21:05
I'd say if the seatbelt sign is on, then fasten them as soon as you are settled but if it is off, then definitely don't fasten them as this will usually mean the aircraft is being refuelled at the time. We make regular PA's to that effect if we do board during this time for exactly the reasons you have stated. I'd rather passengers did have their belts on before push back as this can sometimes be quite jerky. It's been enough to land me in some poor chaps lap before now! :uhoh: Hope that helps.

JSL

CallBell
20th Apr 2008, 22:22
You can leave it unfastened until the crew walk through the cabin to make sure you do have it fastened.

Rwy in Sight
21st Apr 2008, 04:22
jetset lady,

If I understand correctly you consider the risk of a jerky push back or initial forward movement greater than the case of a sudden evacuation on the ground. My question remains would fasten seat belt slow a sudden evacuation before the aircraft starts moving under its own power?

CallBell by the time the crew checks the seat belts it is already done.

Rwy in Sight

jetset lady
21st Apr 2008, 10:54
Rwy in Sight,

I think it's a case of weighing up the risks. A jerky pushback is far more likely than a sudden evacuation once the aircraft has finished refueling and the doors are closed. In the time it takes us to open the doors, you could have undone your seatbelt. At the end of the day, it takes seconds to undo a seatbelt, so I don't think it will cause undue delay to an evacuation.

JSL

apaddyinuk
21st Apr 2008, 13:50
Seatbelts can be fastened at any time during boarding (although if you are on an aisle with two seats beside you it is probably best to wait until they have seated) UNLESS the aircraft is refuelling in which case the seatbelt sign will not be illuminated and the crew will make PA's advising not to fasten your belt!

Rwy in Sight
21st Apr 2008, 16:30
Jetset lady, apaddyinuk and CallBell

Thank you very much for your time and effort. You have my respect.

Rwy in Sight

deltayankee
21st Apr 2008, 22:15
On AF if boarding starts during refuelling there is a warning to NOT fasten seat belts. I guess that this is so you can run if it catches fire.

Otherwise my advice is to always fasten them as soon as you sit down so you don't forget. If you can't unfasten a belt you should either practice or give up flying.