PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATPL written exam

bingofuel
19th Apr 2008, 18:59
Does anyone know if there are any courses in the UK to prepare for the FAA ATPL written exam? I believe the exam can be taken at Farnborough, anywhere else?

Thanks

acuba 290
19th Apr 2008, 20:55
is it actually possible to do in Europe and how hard it is to compare with JAA ATPL exams?

Tinstaafl
20th Apr 2008, 03:26
Short answer:

Piss easy single multi-choice exam. Self study from Gleim or Jeppesen or ASA ATP preparation books is all that's needed.

Long answer:

Piss easy single multi-choice exam. Self study from Gleim or Jeppesen or ASA ATP preparation books is all that's needed - but you can buy additional computer based training as well if you wish.

G-SPOTs Lost
20th Apr 2008, 08:03
Until such times chaps as you are sat there 4000 miles from home looking to do the 61.155 checkride on your aircraft of choice and after a 2 hour oral exam on the a/c systems start off with another oral exam on FAR's covered in the ATP studyguide, this one is to see whether or not you can have the "Clean" ATP issued at the same time.

Yep its easy to pass, yes you can get software to help. But in the US some things are done a little bit differently and I would suggest that unless you ace the exam with 95% plus - give your self a LOT more revision just before you do your ATP chkride so that you dont unimpress your chk airman just before getting in the box or aircraft - never good!

youngskywalker
20th Apr 2008, 11:08
All above correct, fairly easy exams but they place much more emphasis on the oral exam before the flight test. I found all of my oral exams very stressful and I put quite a lot of effort into learning way above what the written exam requires. If they find any weakness in your knowledge then you can be sure they will continue to probe deeper...

FAA examiners are well aware that the Brit's think their system is piss easy, expect them to give you an even tougher time becaus of this attitude!:E

FAA exams can be taken at Flightsafety Farnborough and Paris, also I think at one or two other schools in the UK but I can't remember, check back pages of the Pilot/Flyer magazines.

stator vane
20th Apr 2008, 19:43
the FAA ATP exam is short and to the point--covers basic knowledge items---the oral exams are the real tests--every thing that every light and switch is connected to--difficult but at least realistic-- a deep knowledge of the beast you will be flying is only sensible.

the 14 exams for the UK ATP--was the biggest load of bullocks i have ever encountered--and bloody expensive--98.9 percent useless information really--who in the world needs to remember the degrees of coverage for the various position lights on the aircraft??? except for the bloody test!!

at least i can respect the philosophy of requiring an intimate knowledge of the systems of the craft you will be flying--and the applicable regulations--

chrisbl
20th Apr 2008, 20:53
I have used this for all my FAA exams but can reiterate that it is the oral that is the real test.

www.faatest.com (http://www.faatest.com)