PDA

View Full Version : Converting an ICAO(CPL) licence to JAR-PPL

Savage_UK
19th Apr 2008, 14:38
Hi

Anybody have the link to the relevant LASORS section which covers this please...or are able to simplify exactly what the conversion process is.

I have an ICAO CPL licence and MEIR - issued in New Zealand. 350hrs TT

I've been told that the licence automatically equates to a UK PPL, restricted to national daytime flights only, and that all I'd have to do is just get a check out from the local aero club. However I'd like to be able to fly a bit further afield and by night too.

My understanding is that on completion of a skills test with an examiner in the UK, this licence would be 'upgraded' to a full unrestricted PPL - without the need for any additional exams to be taken.

Is that about right? And if it is do I need to fill out/send off any forms?

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Savage_UK
22nd May 2008, 20:01
Seems rather bizarre to be replying to my own question, but after many long weeks of talking with the CAA, AOPA and numerous other contacts I finally have (a vague) answer to this. Thought I would post it up in case someone else has the same query to give at least one viable option for those in the same situation.

The short of it is that the ICAO CPL does not equate to any equivalent - or lesser - licence in Europe/UK.

All it does is give a number of theory exam credits towards a PPL licence. Any flying time is credited except instrument time (it's part-credited but a further minimum is required for UK flying).

So to get a PPL from an ICAO CPL the following is needed:

PPL Theory - Human Performance
PPL Theory - Air Law and Operational Procedures
Radio Telephony Practical (oral) exam
Flight test: General Handling & NavigationNo additional flying time is required for the PPL in the UK assuming you have the minimum hours to qualify and a UK Class 2 medical certificate.

For the multi-engine rating / instrument rating there is a required additional minimum of flying time required in the UK. Haven't quite got to that stage yet so will update when I know more but believe it's 15 hours min (10 of which can be in a ZFT sim).

An ICAO CPL won't convert in any way towards the theory side of a JAR-CPL so you'd be looking at sitting all 7 exams again and the skills test. It was recommended to me instead that I skip the JAR-CPL theory and instead sit the ATPL theory.

Aaannd...that's all that I know thus far....

batman26
29th May 2008, 08:06
hi there

Thank you for a lot of usefull information! i am going to do a simular thing as you. I have a CPL ME IR from Canada and I want to convert it to a JAR licence. I must admit it's quite confusing. I was recommended by a friend of mine to do the IR conversion at Aerodynamics Malaga because he had good ewperience from there last year so i have decided more or less that am going there. But I have a lot to do before getting the IR conversion done and I don't know where to go. If anyone can recommend something that would be great!

I will keep in contact!