PDA

View Full Version : Sea plane rating

cavok_italy
19th Apr 2008, 08:25
Hi all from Italy. Can somebody suggest a flgiht school possibly in Florida where I can get my sea plane rating?
I greatly appreciate

Harmattan96
19th Apr 2008, 14:54
Do you already posess an FAA cert? Are you trying to do single or multi or both?
Jack Brown's does a really nice package for pilots already Land rated in "Winter Haven" :http://www.gate.net/~seaplane/
I don't know if they are alowed to offer training to foreigners (14 CFR 141).
Call and ask, I never went, but I heard nothing but great things and fun stories from their customers.

cavok_italy
19th Apr 2008, 21:01
I have my FAA CPL ME IR. Seaplane is a rating, so I don't think they have to issue an I-20 for foreigners.
Thanks a lot

slatch
19th Apr 2008, 23:09
A little further than Florida but check out Nor Cal Aviation in California. Not only can you get you ratings SES and MES but you can get some great mountain flying in and land on some 4000 foot lakes. Checkout the website they have a good video...

http://norcalaviation.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcplWR4Y2QA

SNS3Guppy
20th Apr 2008, 00:34
Norcal Aviation used to give multi sea instruction in an Aztec with floats. I believe they sold it several years ago, and now offer seaplane instruction in a Cessna 150. They're no longer doing multi engine sea.

Jack Browne does a lot of seaplane training for visitors. Give them a call.

slatch
20th Apr 2008, 01:51
Norcal aviation does SES in a 150 horse C150 on straight floats off a pond south of CPU airport. Sierra Seaplanes does MES with an 1958 Apache on amphibious floats out of CPU. They do have access to other aircraft if the need arises.

Tinstaafl
20th Apr 2008, 15:08
I think you might be incorrect w.r.t. it being a 'rating' under the FAA system. AFAIK it's a class on a certificate no different from the Single Engine Land or Multi Engine Land. What's more it's independent of your other certificate(s).

You could, for example, hold a PPL-SEL, a CPL-SES and an ATP-MEL. None of them have crossover privileges to the other certificates (except perhaps the IR privileges inherent in the ATP and the usual 'lower level of licence privileges are embraced by higher level licences' thing). In this example if you fly a SEL class of aircraft you may only exercise PPL privileges. If you wish to exercise commercial privileges then it must be in either an SES or an MEL class (the ATP embraces CPL privileges). If you wish to exercise ATP privileges then it must be in a MEL aircraft.

The flight test ('checkride' in US parlance) is a test for the issue of an FAA certificate even though the syllabus recognises skill transfer from other certificates (the 'add-on' certificate terminology that you might hear used). This means that you will have to satisfy the TSA's insecurity stupidity.

340drvr
20th Apr 2008, 19:22
Here's a listing of seaplane schools in Florida.

http://www.seaplanes.org/training/schools/FL.htm

Good luck!

mutt
21st Apr 2008, 20:15
Cavok Italy....

I believe that you need TSA approval for the sea plane rating...

AFAIK, as an FAA ATP holder, i can do recurrents without their approval but any and i repeat ANY rating requires approval.

I did my sea plane rating in Seattle, it was some of the most enjoyable flying of my life......

Check carefully!!!

Mutt

Chuck Ellsworth
22nd Apr 2008, 02:39
If you can afford it the Grumman Widgeon is an experience you should not miss.

And if you can master theWidgeon the rest are easy.

mcgoo
22nd Apr 2008, 11:26
mutt

In the guidance notes on the TSA website, it says TSA approval is only required for initial PPL, ME, IR and type ratings.

Chuck Ellsworth
26th Apr 2008, 02:08
Ps Chuck florida floatplanes have 1.....$450.00 ph

And worth every penny ( pence )

The Widgeon would be my first choice as a twin engine play toy.....but alas I can't afford one. :sad:

It was the first twin engine amphibian I flew many moons ago. :)

cavok_italy
26th Apr 2008, 21:22
Thank you very much guys. I will check all possibilities.
thanks again