PDA

View Full Version : MultiFlight Leeds

kippax
18th Apr 2008, 23:55
Hello

Can any current / previous MultiFlight students, provide feedback regarding their training ?

I am possibly looking to complete my CPL/ME, IR and MCC with them starting this summer

Any comments would be very beneficial

Cheers

KP

Philpaz
19th Apr 2008, 01:22
Expect severe delays with weather and a tendancy to be pushed aside for "Trial Flights". Other than that, a great school with great instructors.

PPRuNeUser0173
19th Apr 2008, 04:57
The question was about CPL/IR training I believe and trial lessons are done by the PPL school instructors NOT the CPL/IR instructors. RTFQ.

Shunter
19th Apr 2008, 06:59
Indeed. The CPL/IR instructors almost never train PPL students. If anyone is getting bumped it would be PPL's - they make a hell of a lot more money doing commercial training.

As for this summer? Forget it I'm afraid. They're booked up until next year, but by all means give them a bell and ask. I enquired about doing the 15hrs IR conversion from FAA, and surfice to say I've had to go elsewhere.

Philpaz
19th Apr 2008, 10:42
The question was about CPL/IR training I believe and trial lessons are done by the PPL school instructors NOT the CPL/IR instructors. RTFQ.

My mistake, though a harsh response.
My instructor actually did his CPL/IR with them and he reccomended them whole heartedly to me, only problems he mentioned were weather and waiting for the big jets. I started my PPL with them but switched quite quickly. I couldn't be very flexible and unfortunately neither could they due to being so busy.

PPRuNeUser0173
19th Apr 2008, 12:45
Philpaz - not meant to be harsh but a simple statement of fact.
Shunter - yes they are booked up well in advance but have recently introduced a weekend instructor to cater for any backlogs during the week and to offer greater flexibility for those unable to attend at any other time.

Remember it is well worth waiting for a place at a quality FTO and not just grabbing the first available slot anywhere.

sicky
1st Jul 2008, 23:27
oh dear, are they as backlogged for PPL training as well? When i went in last summer, i was told training could begin anytime.

How things may have changed - against what would be expected at the moment as well.

XL319
1st Jul 2008, 23:32
Don't forget Leeds runway is 32/14 so a major problem for crosswinds, Shame they closed 27/09.....only problem other than that is being on top of a hill which gets shrouded in mist and fog quite often (strange place to put an airport) :ugh:

Leew146
3rd Jul 2008, 19:23
I've been looking to start my PPL at Leeds, I live less than a mile from the airport so its more than ideal, and yes the weather up here can be pretty grim.

Is it really as bad as "booked up until next year"!!?? I work very close to the airport, and can't say I've seen the flying school busy. Lots of multiflight aircraft parked on the apron and not that much activity.

Other people have also mentioned "going elsewhere". What other options can anyone recommend?

Sorry Kippax I've gone off topic a bit there haven't I. :O

sicky
3rd Jul 2008, 19:35
The fog/mist is really bad, but the crosswinds i see as good practice...although limits must be an issue...!

Northern Highflyer
4th Jul 2008, 10:54
Did my CPL/ME/IR with them and found the instruction to be good and consistent between instructors, which is a major plus in my book. Downsides were weather and waiting for the instructor / aircraft / sim to be available as they had several students at different stages of the courses. Since I did my course they now have an axtra Duchess and it seems, from reading above, extra instructors so that should ease that problem.

I did my course over a winter period and we lost a few days to fog, low cloud and wind out of limits, but the x-winds were good experience. Had to wait for the commercial traffic at times but only on a couple of occasions did the delays get silly (and expensive).

don't_ask_me
5th Jul 2008, 16:26
Leew146,

I am training with Multiflight at the moment --> PPL

It depends on how flexible you are, but you can usually get a lesson booked with a few days notice and I prefer to book loads of them to make sure that I always have some. Weekends (and sometimes Fridays) are very busy and may need three weeks’ notice.

It is very difficult/ impossible to train with the same instructor, but they do have a very good system of student notes and 'discussing' a students' progress between themselves.

All the instructors are very good but each has their own methods of teaching things. For example, I like the more laidback approach to teaching nav where the student makes their mistakes, instead of the more proactive 'talk a lot' instruction. I guess this is true of most schools and apart from trying all the instructors, I think it's just pot luck.

With a 13 knot crosswind limit on the C152, this is the main weather criteria which I worry about. Other cancellations are just normal misty-murky-cloudy-wettyness of Britain.

The cafe is good, and gets better every time I visit it. It has started to bring a bit more of a community spirit to the proceedings. I think they've got a BBQ on Monday.

Anyway...just my thoughts,
don't_ask

Shiver me timbers!
5th Jul 2008, 21:01
don't_ask_me - can_I_just_ask_you, as a guess, what % of lessons get cancelled due to weather? Any kind of guestimate would be great.

Cheers :ok:

Shunter
6th Jul 2008, 07:05
Just a small point here, but the 152 doesn't have a crosswind "limit". It has a maximum demonstrated crosswind - that is not a limit, merely what was demonstrated during certification of the aircraft. Sure, they will apply a limit to students going out solo (sensible enough), but it wasn't imposed for dual flights when I learnt there. The 152 can cope with way more than 13kt, it simply depends on the skill of the pilot. Being able to handle crosswinds is a valuable skill in my opinion. The other thing with Leeds is that by the time you've finished your R/T will be excellent.

I did my PPL there (whilst working full time), in just over 3 months, in exactly 45hrs, with 12 different instructors. Wasn't a problem. The fog & low cloud thing is a little overblown, as probably 75% of the time Leeds isn't flyable, the likes of Sherburn aren't either.

My strategy was to book 3 or 4 lessons during the week, and 2 on Sat/Sun (1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon). Some weeks I flew 2hrs, some 5hrs. If you're flexible and available at short notice, make sure they know that.

don't_ask_me
7th Jul 2008, 10:19
David,
I've been VERY unlucky during my training and have totted up to have about 174 (plus or minus 15) booked lessons.
Approx. 38 (plus or minus 3) of those have gone ahead :{
I would like to say now, though, that this is NOT the 'norm' and you are better to ask someone who is not cursed.

Shunter,
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the flying order book (page 14), which does show a 'limit':
http://www.multiflight.com/pdf/flyin..._FixedWing.pdf (http://www.multiflight.com/pdf/flyingOrderBook_FixedWing.pdf)

But yes, I forgot to mention the great R/T skills you will pick up. Especially if you do the R/T course with Malcolm.

don't_ask

THE WELSH WIZARD
7th Jul 2008, 17:32
i havent been there my self, but a instructor i know did their cpl there and it took in total neally 6 months due to weather etc.

also take a look at there new advertisement £33,995!!!! for 0 to aptl.

doesnt include flights accomadation transfers and mcc!

i would proberly say add £20k+ to their price.

WW :\

JohnRayner
7th Jul 2008, 22:23
So, cost notwithstanding, and crappy northern weather notwithstanding, a worthwhile organisation to throw cash at for ATPL training? I only ask 'cos I could drive to this one from my house..

JohnRayner
7th Jul 2008, 22:28
Ah. Just found the relevant thread. Question answered!

veetwo
8th Jul 2008, 01:26
Guys I did my ppl at multiflight and enjoyed it very much but i gotta say.... are you INSANE!?!?!

Now is NOT i repeat NOT the time to be starting CPL/IR training. You are not gonna get a job at the end of it - we are heading for a recession and aviation is gonna be one of the biggest losers - there are gonna be NO jobs going!!

V2

JohnRayner
8th Jul 2008, 06:55
V2, thankyou for the concern!

It's true I am a starry eyed 16 y.o. with parents with bottomless pockets...;)

Only part way through my PPL yet. I'll be PPL flying for the sheer hell of it from early winter on in, maybe flying a share of something, getting the ratings required to fly my friends skiing etc (Courcheval here I come! Maybe. Actually, probably not, eh?) While I'm doing that I'll do the ATPL theory (2k I think) which'll take me through to next year when I'll see how the land lies then.

Either I'll have sold my other house and be able to carry on, or we'll all be fighting each other for charred scraps amid the ruins, MadMax style. OR I'll have saved enough from the day job to see me through. OR we'll all be speaking Chinese. Or something.

I agree about throwing huge wedges of cash away in these uncertain times, but there's no law against having a plan!

olicana
8th Jul 2008, 11:16
I am coming towards the end of my PPL with Multiflight and I have had 60 % (approx) of my lessons cancelled due to weather. Obviously this is not Multiflight`s fault.
I have only had one plane go tech on me and they simply changed my lesson to a different time in the day so I did not lose out .
I always book my lessons four weeks in advance and have not had any major problems with instructor availibilty and I have more or less stuck with the same instructor through out.

Overall thumbs up for Multiflight then!

liam548
8th Jul 2008, 12:26
I very nearly used multiflight and had a good look round before starting my PPL. It is a nice set up.

I did however decide on Sherburn. I have only had 1 lesson cancelled so far due to weather and always seem able to book a lesson for the following week after my lesson. I do not need to book weeks in advance. Plus I have been able to stick to one or two instructors.

I work shifts though so this is an advantage I suppose.

THE WELSH WIZARD
8th Jul 2008, 17:33
JR

nowt wrong with making plans, and nowt very wrong with parents having bottomless pockets etheir. (nice if you can get it) :cool:

WW.

T CUT
8th Jul 2008, 18:03
Why not give Sherburn aero club a try, they have plenty of runways, good instructors, nice aircraft, and best of all, very good rates!!!

T CUT
8th Jul 2008, 18:06
Glad to see you chose Sherburn Liam, what are you learning on?

liam548
8th Jul 2008, 22:29
started out in an At3 but they wernt available the other week as one was picking the other up which had been for repair so went in a PA28 and have stuck with that now. Prefer them to be honest but at £131.50 it is more dough....

;)

Liam

T CUT
11th Jul 2008, 16:19
Yeah but thats a proper light aircraft!!

THE WELSH WIZARD
11th Jul 2008, 17:15
T CUT dahm right its a good light aircraft

I quite agree :ok:

WW:)

T CUT
14th Jul 2008, 16:23
cheers mate, i love em!!