PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Hour Building in Europe

PPL152
18th Apr 2008, 18:15
Does anyone recommend a cheap per hour rate or an hour building package anywhere in Europe?

Thanks!

acuba 290
18th Apr 2008, 19:24
I think it is Spain with cheapest rental...
some other countries?

falco01
18th Apr 2008, 20:52
Maybe Eastern Europe? I heard of few foreigners getting their flight hours in Latvia. Starting from 140 to 150 EUR per hour, but then again it depends which a/c.

acuba 290
18th Apr 2008, 21:48
if you are club member (about 350-390 Euro per Year) you can have a twin seater like C-152 or Da-20 for 80 Euro a hour in South Germany

charliegolf
19th Apr 2008, 08:20
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday rate rate for a Koliber at Swansea: £85. £135 at w/e.

CG (About to convert onto it)

JUST-local
19th Apr 2008, 15:29
140-150 Euro sounds like a high normal hire rate in the UK!

Fuel prices are high in most of Europe so the rates you will pay will be based on this and a little for the A/C, insurance, maint. and the operator/owner if they are lucky!

There are a few people/firms in the UK who will get you near block rates to the USA! A couple of them are on this forum and may pipe up with a PM or some advise.
All depends on where you are in the UK and convience! You can get a nice crisp C150 in the NW of England as low as £73.00/hour wet with Vat, this is with no memberships, monthly fees or other price inflators!
Give me a PM if you want the contact details.

I would go where it is convent for you!

JL.

IceHeli
20th Apr 2008, 00:35
Never thought I would say this!

Iceland might be cheaper in this respect. Could get a C152 for between 70 to 85 euros striking a deal with one of the flight schools here. JAA licences are valid here, and the WX has been pretty nice for the last few weeks.

However other things here are a heck of a lot more expensive.

Just a thought

IH

acuba 290
20th Apr 2008, 01:18
really big discovery with Iceland. Would be dream to do there some flying ;)
some friends of mine payd over 300 dollars for C-172, so it is hard to believe now.. :)
what about living there? food, accommodation? maybe better ask here than PM, because it can be interesting and informative for many of us, so please give us a little advice about flying in your beautiful country ;)

PPL152
20th Apr 2008, 07:55
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming!!

I am from South of Europe hence i have to travel if anything. In my country you get a C-152 at around 120 EUR per hour wet, but I was checking prices in USA, a C-152 can easily cost you just $69.00 !!!!!

But again... I have to travel, but eventually if one calculates intelligently... you will be gaining rather than losing money.

IceHeli
20th Apr 2008, 13:05
Iceland expensive in general. The flying here seems however to be cheaper than in the rest of Europe. Less taxes etc.

If you stay in a Hostel or some low cost housing, you could manage to keep costs down. Shop sensibly in the supermarket etc. If you fly a bit of hours it should more than make up for that cost.

Fares vary in price with the airlines. Can cost from 200 euros and upwards.

Flying here is easy, airspace restrictions are minimal, sunlight almost 24/7 in the summer and the weather quite mild.

If anyone wishes more information ask away...

IH

acuba 290
20th Apr 2008, 14:01
thanx for interesting information. can you give here some links with a/c rentals?

LH2
20th Apr 2008, 14:19
Swede, thank you so much for your contribution. I was waiting for someone from your neck of the woods to post some first-hand info.

I am looking at Scandinavia, and particularly Sweden, to hire an aircraft sometime in the next couple months for 15-25 hrs of touring. I was wondering if there are any recommendations you might be able to give as to specific clubs to look into. Ideally I'm after either a bog-standard VFR four-seater (only two pilots, but I like the extra margin), but it'd also be interesting if I can find a reasonably-priced DA-40 or a DA-42 somewhere (I am, obviously, MEIR qualified).

Any ideas, anywhere in Sweden (or even Norway) would be much appreciated. I can Ryanair myself into the country and don't mind at all driving for a few hours to reach some remote club if need be.

IceHeli, thanks to you also for the very interesting information.

IceHeli
20th Apr 2008, 17:52
There are a few you guys could try contacting. See if they are willing to strike you a deal if you buy a bulk of hours.

www.flugskoli.is

www.flugskolinn.is

Less likely, but not impossible contacting - really not their thing, but who knows...

www.geirfugl.is

ps.

JAA licences are valid up here in the north so no conversion or validation process. Just a simple renters checkout should be enough.

IH

EK4457
21st Apr 2008, 10:35
Quite simply,

www.aircraftgrouping.com

EK

fanda78
21st Apr 2008, 17:40
It might sound idealistic but I just spotted add in my local club for 1/6th Chief Aeronca for 2500 quid with 35 per month and 30 ph wet. you can hardly beat it and after you did yours 150 - 200 hrs you can sell it and use this money for your atpl... check e-bay motors for shares - last month there was 1/10 of Jodel for 500 quid...

pilcsipa
30th Sep 2010, 19:06
81EUR/ hour wet C152 in Hungary-East Europe. Accomodation 12EUR a nice Hotel with free WIFI and meal 3EUR. Check time building on Gogle.
Hungary is flat and G airspace untill 4500 feet, easy to fly.

UAV689
1st Oct 2010, 09:29
shares are the way ahead, i have joined a PA28 based at elstree for £65 an hour wet. Not bad for a 180hp 4 seater!

Alexsky
1st Oct 2010, 09:50
85 Eur in Latvia Pilot School | Pilot Training | Pilot Learning | Flight school | Flight Learning (http://www.avioservice.eu) . New aircraft P92-JS (JAR type certified). With fuel, landing fees on base aerodrome, free touch-and-goes.
10Eur hotel includes phone card/Internet/transfers to/from airfield.

Experienced pilot as second - 15Eur/h

Southwestnewbie
1st Oct 2010, 10:18
Big red kite..

Genghis the Engineer
1st Oct 2010, 11:04
A quick look on AFORS and a few back of envelope calculations show several LAA syndicates that you could buy, hour build (say) 100 hours, and not even sell the share, and still have paid well under £80/hr all-in; in at-least one case (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=11885&imid=0) it looks like you could get it under £25/hr. (Admittedly most of these will require you to go and get a tailwheel conversion, but 5 hours tailwheel training at say £150/hr over 100 hrs hour building only adds around £8/hr and you'll still be under £35/hr, probably under £30/hr).

G

UAV689
1st Oct 2010, 20:49
Shares are the way to go, I pay 65 an hr for a pa28 180 based at elstree. I think great value for a 4 seater based at London.