PDA

View Full Version : Career change from TV to Aviation?

KNIEVEL77
18th Apr 2008, 12:44
Hi,

I'm currently a Television Sound Recordist and have be working on ITV's Airline programme at Newcastle Airport and have recently become disallusioned with the TV industry.

I really enjoyed filming the workings of the airport and am now currently doing my PPL(H) but how difficult is it to get a job in say Ground Ops or Dispatching, what training do I need, how do I find out about vacancies or at the ripe old age of 42 am I considered too old.

All advice greatly appreciated.

K77.

BIG E
18th Apr 2008, 16:27
Knievel

Suggest you try servisair or swissport at newcastle, its an interesting job however the pay is not good and there is little scope for career progression.

KNIEVEL77
18th Apr 2008, 17:15
Big E,

Thanks for that, do I need any relevant 'aviation' qualifications?

K77.

dada
18th Apr 2008, 19:46
not really - just be prepared to do what you're told from the idiots telling you how it shud be done even thow they dont no themselves.
if i were u id stik to tv. aint no careeers in aviation anymore

waco
18th Apr 2008, 19:59
.....how true dada...........how true

Mikex37
22nd Apr 2008, 21:06
Hi Knievel, greetings from Cyprus. If its something you really want to do buddy, then go for it full steam ahead. As for age, I've just been taken on by Swissport in Larnaca as a dispatcher, aged 44yrs. Age was never an issue ...
Best wishes..............

dada
23rd Apr 2008, 06:26
and if i may ask, your prospects and pay are exactly what?

dudleydick
23rd Apr 2008, 06:33
Many years ago I moved from managing a newspaper to managing the cargo dept of a small airline. Within a year I was managing the airline (probably there was no-one else who wanted to do the job). The change from media to aviation is not as traumatic as you would think. We all have technical people and journalists and pilots come out of the same school - professional moaners and whingers who are never paid enough! You will fit in very well as aviaton is just the best place to work. The folk are friendly and the job is fun. Go for it - you will never regret it - I didn't.

Mikex37
24th Apr 2008, 07:01
Hi Dada, I assume your post was a question to me......Pay is pay, I chose the job at the rate of pay offered, if I didn't like it I could have walked away, prospects are to do a job that excites me, working in a med country, 360 days of sunshine, no rain for 7- 8 months. I can understand that some veterans like yourself do become disgrungled after time about pay and conditions, but always remember, its a big world out there......