PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Sennheiser HMEC 25 for GA flying?

Nick Figaretto
18th Apr 2008, 12:08
Hello!

I am currently building a Jabiru UL which will be completed this summer. Being 1,93m and having a rather long upper body, the most critical point when it comes to sitting comfort, is getting room for my head.

I am therefore considering a light-weight headset without the large cushion om top of my head. The Sennheiser HMEC 25 seems to be a good choice in that respect. I have some experience with it from my job in a Fokker 50, and for the Fokker 50 cockpit it work perfect.

But does it work as a GA headset as well, or will the cockpit noise in a GA aircraft be too loud for it?

Does anybody have any experience with this?

k12479
18th Apr 2008, 21:07
No idea but maybe take a look at the Clarity Aloft in-ear things, should give you more head clearance.

tacpot
19th Apr 2008, 08:52
Hi Nick,

I've no direct experience of the Jabiru (or the HMEC's), but the engine is reputed to be very quiet. As the HMEC 25 offers 15db of Active Noise Reduction, I'd expect them to perform perfectly well in the Jabiru, but perhaps less well in an 'average' GA aircraft. In a very noisy environement the fact the headphones sit on the ears rather than over them is going to limit their ability to block out noise.

I'm a big fan of ANR and use an 'over the ears' ANR headset in my noisy aircraft, a PA22.

Good luck with your build and in finding the right headset.

tp

markflyer6580
19th Apr 2008, 14:11
I use the HMEC 25 headset for GA and have done for a couple of years. I find it does the job perfectly and is comfy and light as a bonus. Big headsets (i.e full cups over the ear) tend to give me a headache hence why I went for the 25's.

Nick Figaretto
20th Apr 2008, 22:23
Thanks a lot for all your replies!

I guess I'll start looking more seriously for a good deal on the HMEC 25.

Still I would appreciate all comments, positive or negative, that anyone should have on this subject.

Brgds Nick