PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunities in Australia/New Zealand

flyboy_nz
18th Apr 2008, 09:43
Hello,

I am a NZ CPL holder with 350hrs. I am just about to sit my multi-IR flight test. I have about 20hrs on a BE-76. I have finished half my ATPLs. I also did some papers with Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia for a Diploma in Aviation Science.

I just returned from India couple of months ago. I finished my conversion exams and medical. It seems that the vaccancies for pilots ( fresh CPL FOs ) has become saturated. A lot of stories are emerging on how 7 vaccancies are listed and 900 pilots apply. But the seats are already taken because of certain people having certain contacts. It is a little disappointing because I see myself as a very hard working individual with tons of potential. I am not trying to be cocky or over confident but I do regard myself as being better than most of these other fresh CPLs who are applying for this job. Not because of my skills but because of my attitude. The only thing missing is that I don't have any contacts or deep pockets.

My 2nd option is Australia. I would love to work in Australia. I am even preparing myself for a job in the outback. Now, I am doing a some research as to what are the opportunities in Australia. I know Qantas link has some positions available. The problem is I have a Careless Driving and Dangerous Driving conviction. These convictions have actually helped me become a better driver and a better person but I am sure the airlines are not going to be on the same frequency as me.

Could someone please share their knowledge?

cruisin
18th Apr 2008, 11:43
Kiwi sounds like you are prepared to get out there in the world and give it a go. Knok backs will come but if you keep pluggin something will turn up...Good thing is you are prepared to get out there and try a lot of kiwis are too comfortable at home! i would suggest you look at the pacific islands or at least somewhere that has pos a twin piston with upgrade to twin turbo prop but if you can get the later the better. Once you have some time on twins then you can move on and up with confidence...:ok:

winglet_fever
18th Apr 2008, 21:12
Suggest you try mustering for a start. Get up to 500hrs in the single. While in the process, keep a look out for twin jobs flying miners.

Go to the _________ where no one wants to go.

Seen some of my mates been there, done that. Great place to sharpen those survival skills.

Try South Western OZ.

aseanaero
19th Apr 2008, 00:51
Contact some of the operators around in the Northern Territory

flyboy_nz
19th Apr 2008, 03:59
thanx for all the replies. Yea, I totally forgot about the islands! Will definetly look more into it.

Pappy Bovinton
27th Apr 2008, 20:30
Flyboy nz,

I left NZ before I was 20, served in major conflicts both on the ground as Infantry and Special Forces, then as aircrew and Special Forces again. I flew in Africa, Middle East, SE Asia, & Europe. Returned to NZ as a 4500hr Capt on Jets and was told "What cowboy airline do YOU fly for? We don't even consider pilots for SECOND OFFICER interviews until they have AT LEAST 5000hrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Needless to say I didn't get the job. Looking back I wouldn't be seen dead in a PALE YUCKY GREEN plastic bag. So I returned to the northern hemisphere and continued flying. Now, 10,000hrs later and vastly more experienced, I am still a BLACK SHEEP - and lovin it!.

The pay is better, work conditions better, AND the JAA licence is a door opener EVERY where - except NZ where it is seen with contempt (because YOU have one and THEY DON'T).

The trouble with NZ aviation is that unless you are one of the GODFATHERS sons or clones, you will NEVER be good enough to fly in New Zealand - "NZ is a very demanding place to fly in - I suggest you get 1000hrs multi time in a piston and then come back and see us. We might just consider you then". Was told that when I already had 2000hrs multi in East & Central Africa. Now that is 'a demanding place to fly in'.

:ok:

black gun
28th Apr 2008, 11:34
Flyboy NZ

Try PNG and Solomons, I have heard they are looking for pilots, with your positive attitude I am sure you will find something, all the best.

Regards BG

kefz
28th Apr 2008, 13:44
haha no i think u can forget bout it

black gun
29th Apr 2008, 04:12
why is that????

WIKI44
29th Apr 2008, 09:50
flyboy! It's a shame you left india. I think it would have been prudent to stick around for a bit longer. Its true there is a backlog of CPL holders here, and often 800-900 show up for the exams. However, it is the same mob showing up time and again and not being picked. As for the contacts/deep pockets, I think you are a bit misinformed. The airlines are picking the best. Sure, out of ten maybee one guy gets in based on contacts (and that happens EVERYWHERE), but I doubt he/she will get anywhere in the future. You have more experience than most of the guys out here, and if you know your stuff then you should have NO PROBLEM with the airline written exams/interview. The airlines will look favorably on your ATPL subjects as well. You will be one of the very few to have passed them. I reckon you should give it another shot. Post your resume to every airline out there and they will get back to you when they are holding exams/interviews. PM me if you want the email addresses. Otherwise you can usually find them on the websites. Good luck.
Have you thought about instructing? I reckon there is a need for instructors. Maybee give that a shot.
good luck anyway.
wiki

haree
30th Apr 2008, 04:30
I second wat WIKI44 has to say. It was foolish of you to run away thinking there is no more "Easy jobs" on ofer in india. Airlines are steadily recruiting every 45-60 days although for lesser vacancies and stricter selection processes. Even one of the brilliant indian aviation journalist accidentally quoted one of the candidate saying the indian tests are so tough that he couldnt clear them even after appearing for them for the 7th time :rolleyes::bored:

Haree

zalman
30th Apr 2008, 11:38
Flyboy NZ
Been there right where you are now, all I can say is try the Australian paper on a Friday, they have an aviation section at the back which usually has a few jobs listed. Over the past few editions there have been some jobs for low time pilots on light aircraft. Mate never under estimate what you can achieve, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. When I got my first job I only had 300hrs and I walked into a job in Tonga on a twotter. So there's no stopping you from trying! Or as the other guys have said why not India? They do take non type rated F/O's on the ATR with low time. (Jet Airways).

I wish you all the best.

Zalman

flyboy_nz
30th Apr 2008, 23:10
Thanx for all the replies, really appreciated.

I had to leave India because I was running out of money. Also, I had to finish my multi-IR and I did not want to train in India. The quality of flying in NZ is way better and passing a flight test in NZ makes u feel like u have actually achieved something. The flying I am doing in NZ is through student loan.

But while I was in India, I should have gone to the HR departments of all the Airlines and introduced myself and had a chat with them. I am thinking of going India again for 3 months and doing some door to door knocking. At least, I won't have the regret of not trying.

Just last few days, I sent my resume to Jet, Spice, KF, GoAir and Paramount. I am waiting for their reply.

At the same time, I will keep a look out on the Australian side. Australian paper on friday, thanx Zalman. I came across a lot of jobs in Australia on the Pakistani aviation forum.

http://www.pakistaniaviationforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2298&pid=15588&st=0&#entry15588

I will keep you guys posted.

Yesterday, I was at a cafe having my lunch with some friends from my flying school. Got served by some pretty birds. We all had ordered different meals. The meals arrived at different times by different birds. I don't believe in coincidences :ok: